Author Topic: Open Carry  (Read 2250 times)

Libertarian5

Open Carry
« on: June 11, 2023, 07:31:51 PM »
So today I was at the grocery store and I noticed a woman open carrying a firearm on her 4 o'clock and my first thought was I would never do this for so many reasons and then I felt like I was judging her🤔 All the training ive done says you shouldn't but maybe I am mistaken ? What is everyone else's take on open Carry in Delaware?

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Re: Open Carry
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2023, 10:50:38 PM »
Open carry is legal in Delaware, just most people don' have the guts to do it. I went to Wisconsin several times in the past, where open carry is also legal. Hell, every other person carries there. Nobody seems to care.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2023, 11:24:34 PM »
... just most people don' have the guts to do it....
WRONG AGAIN!  When they were active, would meet MONTHLY for dinner.  Joined them MANY times myself.
http://www.deloc.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=15&sid=41a5c6b1baec426ecdb5cf1fa1fb583c
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Oaklandopen

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2023, 01:38:03 AM »
I've been wanting to, and have only personally witness a few ppl in recent years.  One at a Wilmington home depot,  another dropping off covid stuff where i work. I actually talked with him after my boss raised a stink about seeing it to him.  Then when I got back to my boss he asked me about looking for signs to put up saying no weapons allowed.  I quickly shut that one down because we all know a sign like that is like an illegally parked car's hazards to parking enforcement

Anyway,  the only thing that stops me is I'd rather not do it with my family with me and I don't have a good holster for my full size that also accepts the optic I have on it.  I'd love to at least start a conversation,  even though I feel like I'd get more grief around the Newark area

Till then it's IWB or pocket with my sub compact

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2023, 11:07:49 AM »
I am too old to run or fight, and I don't want to advertise, so I keep things out of sight when I can.  IMHO, open carry makes people nervous, and draws attention to you.  With concealed, I am just another person.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Libertarian5

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2023, 04:01:18 PM »
I am too old to run or fight, and I don't want to advertise, so I keep things out of sight when I can.  IMHO, open carry makes people nervous, and draws attention to you.  With concealed, I am just another person.

I feel the same. Just blend in and be a gray man. If someone noticed the gun on your person they have the advantage and could try and take the firearm while you're distracted. Hypothetically speaking. Don't really see the benefit in open Carry except possibly a visual deterrent.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2023, 06:08:08 PM »
Visual deterrent. Usually retention holster. Quicker draw.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2023, 10:54:38 PM »
They see an old guy with a gun, easy prey.  Knock him down and grab his gun. If they can't see it, they think I am easy.   As always, be aware of your surroundings.   
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits

RetCapt1994

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2023, 02:17:33 AM »
Bill, I am with you 100% on this. The average citizen is not trained on handgun retention. I have seen some folks open carrying with real flimsy holsters. Two perps come up behind them and then they have a loaded handgun. I never open carried because I just want to blend in. I might be an old dude but I shoot once a week.  Regards to all.
Glock Armorer - Tavor Level One Armorer
It is all about bullet placement                          Carry permits, de ccw, and leosa/hr218  DELAWARE SUCKS----THE WORST STATE

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2023, 02:46:13 PM »
I have to agree with the group here    I see no advantage to open carry and a lot of negatives. It is a right and I would oppose any and all attempts to ban it but for me concealed and blending in is the way to go.

That said, the financial cost of concealed carry may  force some to open carry.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

slsharp

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2023, 03:54:04 PM »
I could see open carry if you WANTED attention. dressed up like Roy Rogers, was in a friendly neighborhood, there were some purpose to the whole thing.....or maybe a WWII uniform....or security guard....but PIs don't carry open, so neither will I.  I tried it once at Tractor Supply and nobody paid attention.
Simon

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2023, 10:18:40 PM »
I have a friend here that carries a BIG FN .45.  He could carry open but choses to find ways not to.  IMHO, smart.
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits

Seth

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2023, 02:44:49 PM »
I open carry around the yard to to the neighbor's / family sometimes. I have open carried into town a handful of time. I think a lot of it comes down to where you live. In Dover you will get a lot different response that in Harrington, Greenwood, or one of the other smaller towns.

For me it is a matter of a right not exercised is easily taken. Also, the fewer people who open carry the more jarring it is to others.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 02:46:31 PM by Seth »
DE - PA - MD CCW

"But, for the grace of God, go I."

Libertarian5

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2023, 09:56:01 PM »
I open carry around the yard to to the neighbor's / family sometimes. I have open carried into town a handful of time. I think a lot of it comes down to where you live. In Dover you will get a lot different response that in Harrington, Greenwood, or one of the other smaller towns.

For me it is a matter of a right not exercised is easily taken. Also, the fewer people who open carry the more jarring it is to others.

That makes sense. I guess if I grew up and lived in a rural area it would be more accepted. I think living in a more urban setting and most of my training has taught me to conceal and blend in. I guess it really comes down to your own comfortablity. I probably will never open carry ( I conceal even when I mow my yard) but I respect the right of those who do.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2023, 10:42:36 PM »
I seldom if ever open carry. Why go through the pain in the arss of getting a permit, and then not using it.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun