Author Topic: NEWS: Delaware CCDW Reciprocity with South Carolina  (Read 17627 times)

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
NEWS: Delaware CCDW Reciprocity with South Carolina
« on: September 13, 2010, 12:50:27 AM »
I stumbled across the following when looking at the Delaware law summary on handgunlaw.us:

9/7/10 – DE & SC Signed Reciprocity Agreement.

So, of course, I checked the State Attorney General's reciprocity page, which was "Last Updated: Thursday, 02-Sep-2010" ...and it is confirmed.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
Re: NEWS: Delaware CCDW Reciprocity with South Carolina
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 01:12:31 AM »
Cool, now if we could just get Maryland.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 01:25:27 AM »
Yeah, Maryland would be great. I live four miles from the state line, and there are places over there in Elkton I'd like to shop, but I won't spend a dime there because I'm not "welcome."

Of course, I'd also be thrilled if my wife's CCDW permit would show up... it's been fourteen weeks now since she applied...  ???

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 10:49:43 AM »
Old Gray,

14 weeks isn't too bad.  90 days is I think about the fastest and the norm.  Oh wait.  Are you in Sussex?  Sorry.  Too many folks to try and keep track of LOL.  I hope it shows up soon!

And yes, I couldn't agree more about MD.  There are plenty of restaurants, shops, etc. I'd be happy to patronize but I dont since I'd have to stop at the state line and secure everything in the trunk.  Sorry.. but Elkton is one place I dont want to be caught NOT carrying! 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

trevor

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 04:03:11 PM »
I was researching the laws in anticipation of a trip.

Sorry to be a downer, but neither state  (DE/SC) seems to list each other as reciprocal:

South Carolina Lists:  Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming. ( http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx?MenuID=CWP  )

Delaware lists: ALASKA, ARIZONA, ARKANSAS, COLORADO, FLORIDA, KENTUCKY, MAINE, MICHIGAN, MISSOURI, NORTH CAROLINA, NORTH DAKOTA,  OHIO, OKLAHOMA, TENNESSEE, TEXAS, UTAH, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA. (http://attorneygeneral.delaware.gov/crime/concealedweapons.shtml)

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/delaware.pdf , UPDATED 8/15/11, also lacks SC.

This is perhaps an illustration of the risks of using non-primary sources.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 05:18:32 PM »
Trevor, thanks for the update.

I don't see where Old Gray used any sources other than what I would consider primary.  He chcked the AG's website which was last updated in Jan of this year.  His post was made last September... changes happen all the time and we, the public, are not informed directly.

I urge everyone who is travelling out of state who is relying on reciprocity in those states be be sure to do your homework prior to leaving for your trip (as Trevor has obviously done). 

Thanks again for the update, Trevor.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

trevor

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 06:27:19 PM »
I don't see where Old Gray used any sources other than what I would consider primary.  He chcked the AG's website which was last updated in Jan of this year.  His post was made last September... changes happen all the time and we, the public, are not informed directly.

I was referring not to O.G.'s diligence, but rather to us being cautious about to using this forum as a source, rather than checking the AG's website.

Unfortunately, till there are national reciprocity laws, we have to be super careful.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 06:38:09 PM »
I just got back from driving to Oklahoma. With my DE CCDW and a PA LTCF, I was able to carry everywhere except Illinois.
I used Handgunlaw.us to print summaries of each states' laws, and then verified the specifics on the state Web sites. I took the summaries with me in a binder: if I got stopped, I could at least show that I intended to obey the law...

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 07:22:29 PM »
I just got back from driving to Oklahoma. With my DE CCDW and a PA LTCF, I was able to carry everywhere except Illinois.
I used Handgunlaw.us to print summaries of each states' laws, and then verified the specifics on the state Web sites. I took the summaries with me in a binder: if I got stopped, I could at least show that I intended to obey the law...

Ahhh, ok.  Thanks for the clarification.  :) 

Moosie

Siludni

• Old-school citizen, Navy Vet, NRA Life, DSSA
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 06:15:21 PM »
By nature, I look for "loopholes" and "work arounds" (keeping entirely within the law) when I encounter an obstacle.
Since SC has reciprocity with VA, I thought it worth investigating the possibility of a VA Non-Resident Permit.
Turns out, the VA Non-Res is not a problem for DE residents, but SC recognizes ONLY VA RESIDENT permits.
(SC issues non-resident permits, but ONLY to SC non-resident property owners.)
"How strange is youth! You are not ashamed to be a fool, but are ashamed to admit having been one, when admitting it will make you a wise man again!"
                                                                                        Daniel Defoe

scottf

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 10:37:44 PM »
Any information as to why both SC and DE withdrew reciprocity?

Siludni

• Old-school citizen, Navy Vet, NRA Life, DSSA
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 02:51:23 AM »
It is my speculation that the DE  A.G.'s office may have proposed a reciprocity agreement with his/her counterpart in SC. Likely the initial verbal contact was  positive and the agreement seemed assured (and may have been published prematurely). Then, assuming SC dragged their feet on the formalization of the agreement, someone placed it on a desk for "review and consideration", where it may sit to this day. With DE's agreement contingent upon SC's and nothing forthcoming from the Palmetto State, the DE  A.G. withdrew the agreement until such time as SC acts to formalize the proposal.
This scenario is as plausible as any I have heard, but not necessarily the only explanation, or necessarily the correct one.
       Perhaps someone else will be able to shed more light on this?  I, for one, would be overjoyed at the prospect of CCW reciprocity between DE and SC.
       I am told that HR-822  passed the House. Let us see if the Senate acts on it and sends it to the Whitehouse, but more importantly, whether the president vetoes such a bill. National Reciprocity gets closer every year, but it may take a different administration to sign it into law. In which case, this entire DE & SC reciprocity negotiation will become moot.
         Regards!
"How strange is youth! You are not ashamed to be a fool, but are ashamed to admit having been one, when admitting it will make you a wise man again!"
                                                                                        Daniel Defoe