Author Topic: Brace Ban Caution  (Read 660 times)

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
Brace Ban Caution
« on: February 01, 2023, 03:45:39 PM »
Greetings gang, as we all know, the ATF's new rule concerning pistol stabilizing braces is in effect and we have a 120 day amnesty period to file a Form 1 for an SBR registration sans $200 permission slip fee.  Here are a few things to keep in mind if you're planning on SBR-ing a brace equipped pistol:

1 - Once approved, there are additional potential pitfalls; you can't go across state lines without first obtaining clearance from the ATF; if you are moving to a new residence, you again have to notify the ATF.

2 - THE BIGGER ONE - if the pistol that you will be converting to an SBR is imported (ex. HK SP5; Century AP5; Zenith imported Z5; many AK variants), you should probably also brush up on what you need to do to be compliant with 18 U.S.C. 922(r) with respect to the number of parts that are imported vs. American.

3 - If you elect to SBR and remove the brace and replace it with a stock, it has to have the same rear surface area as your brace. 

Just a couple pointers to keep you out of Club Fed.  There are certainly other potential pitfalls, but due to work commitments and having just had surgery, I haven't had an opportunity to really fine toothed comb read the entirety of the rule as published to the CFR.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Re: Brace Ban Caution
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 04:51:19 PM »
I got a message from the FPC ( Firearms Policy Coalition) at 40 million gun owners are affected.  Do think this could be true. 

I don’t have one of these devices but I spoke to a guy in a gun shop last week that claims he has a letter from the ATF that these things are fine.

What gives?
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 10:09:27 PM »
Thanks for the update Marc
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 12:50:31 PM »
I got a message from the FPC ( Firearms Policy Coalition) at 40 million gun owners are affected.  Do think this could be true. 

I don’t have one of these devices but I spoke to a guy in a gun shop last week that claims he has a letter from the ATF that these things are fine.

What gives?

I'd say that 40 million affected sounds like it would be about right.  As for the fellow in the gun shop, his word is about as good as that of the typical prison lawyer.  This is 100% a thing.  I doubt that the ATF will be actively knocking on doors, etc., but it's also one of those things where options need to be considered very carefully.  There are a lot of potential problems that a person could have no matter which way they elect to go.  As a further point, it does appear that there is some language in the rule that implies that if you are registering an imported pistol equipped with a brace, that if the 922(r) requirements can't be met, then the application will be denied and you may be required to forfeit the weapon to the ATF or voluntary destroy the weapon.  Just one more way that shows that the government is doing everything possible to further its gun control efforts.