Author Topic: DE open carry in a car while I wait  (Read 7995 times)

MarkB

• Life Member
DE open carry in a car while I wait
« on: June 14, 2013, 01:49:03 PM »
What are the laws about carrying in a car (not outside the car) in DE while I wait for my CCDW?
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

MarkB

• Life Member
Re: DE open carry in a car while I wait
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 01:49:31 PM »
bump
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

402carry

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 02:03:03 PM »
if its in a car it is not open carry, its concealed by the car
NRA Member
NCC
DE CCDW Permit
FL CCDW Permit
PA CCDW Permit

Knotacare

• NRA Endowment Member VFW Life Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 02:15:09 PM »
You can open carry in a vehicle. i think this will answer your question. Go to the people that do it.
http://deloc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8100

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 02:45:14 PM »
I has to be in plain sight, legal generally in De., but not in Dover.

Trapper

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 03:03:57 PM »
Some people mount a holster on the dashboard or attach it to the seatbelt on the passenger side. You can also write the chief of police in Dover and request a letter to open carry in Dover. That should cover you while you are in your car. Just stay away from school zones.
Esophageal Atresia Awareness

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 04:59:05 PM »
I would be VERY very careful about trying to "open" carry in a car.  If any portion of your firearm is concealed, you're asking for trouble.  I have a friend who got jammed up over his seat belt concealing his firearm. No, it was not entirely concealed.  The cop I think was having an off day, my friend thought he was still following the laws, but alas, this was a long expensive lesson for him. 

Also, consider that if you are waiting for your permit to arrive and something unfortunate happens where you're "open carrying" in a car and get picked up for it... well, I'd almost bet you can kiss your permit goodbye. 

Just my .02.

Moosie

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 06:53:45 PM »
I agree with Moosie (that happens often). Until the permit arrives, just hold off.
A policeman's reaction to a loaded gun in a vehicle can vary widely, and you may not want to find out.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 09:07:16 PM »
Moosie says:

I would be VERY very careful about trying to "open" carry in a car.  If any portion of your firearm is concealed, you're asking for trouble.  I have a friend who got jammed up over his seat belt concealing his firearm. No, it was not entirely concealed.  The cop I think was having an off day, my friend thought he was still following the laws, but alas, this was a long expensive lesson for him.

Also, consider that if you are waiting for your permit to arrive and something unfortunate happens where you're "open carrying" in a car and get picked up for it... well, I'd almost bet you can kiss your permit goodbye.

Just my .02.

Moosie

oldgreygeek says:

I agree with Moosie (that happens often). Until the permit arrives, just hold off.
A policeman's reaction to a loaded gun in a vehicle can vary widely, and you may not want to find out.

All very good advice.  I'll just hold off.  There's no rush.  Thanks.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 01:34:40 AM »
Mark,

You can (and should) carry around your house until your permit arrives. You can pretty much simulate any movement or scenario in the safety of your own home. The most comical one that a lot of folks never admit to (until they find that almost everyone has had this happen) is when you go to use the restroom and upon dropping your drawers well.. your gun and holster seem to have a mind of its own and you can scare the crap out of the guy in the stall next to you LOL... at least you're in the right spot if that happens.   ;D

If you have questions about fit, scenarios, etc please don't hesitate to shout!

OldGrey, I'm flattered. hehehe 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 02:46:12 AM »
The most comical one that a lot of folks never admit to (until they find that almost everyone has had this happen) is when you go to use the restroom and upon dropping your drawers well.. your gun and holster seem to have a mind of its own and you can scare the crap out of the guy in the stall next to you LOL... at least you're in the right spot if that happens.   ;D

Moosie

This is so true and it has happened to many, but I don't know how many will admit it.  ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 04:06:32 AM »
LOL, I'll be the first one to admit it then. thank god no one was in the bathroom but me!  hehehe  If I recall, it was either Sig or someone he knows who came very close to dropping their firearm in the bowl!   

Oh.. then there's the whole trying to pull things up with your gun in the holster.. that's another thing to get used to.  At least for me. 

I don't remember where I read this (might have been on here)... a gentleman was very excited about being able to carry concealed.  Off he went on his first outing to Lowe's. Made it to the checkout line, checked out and dropped his keys.  Bent over to pick up his keys and his gun fell out of the holster, skid across the concrete floor. WHOOPS!  He picked it up, placed it back in his holster and as he was leaving the store an employee said, "Have a good day, Officer!". 

Bottom line is that we've all (ok, almost all) have come to some revelation about how things change or how things work now that you're carrying. It usually involves an oops factor but hopefully we can all learn from it and share our "oops" moment.

:)

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 06:59:33 PM »
I am always so paranoid about dropping my pistol in the bowl, that this will not happen to me.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 08:53:43 PM »
I am always so paranoid about dropping my pistol in the bowl, that this will not happen to me.

Just great!  My serotonin levels fluctuate and sometimes cause me to be paranoid.  After reading this I’ll be carrying 8 inches of coat hanger wire.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 10:03:50 PM »
Just great!  My serotonin levels fluctuate and sometimes cause me to be paranoid.  After reading this I’ll be carrying 8 inches of coat hanger wire.

Funny  ;D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County