Author Topic: Question about Questionnaires  (Read 9134 times)

Morder Chemiker

Question about Questionnaires
« on: September 19, 2013, 06:00:50 PM »
So I am in the process of getting everything together for my application and have a question about the questionnaire.  I was going to get my father in law to fill one out because he is pro-2nd and works for Corrections plus I have known him longer than other people I would get to fill it out.  I'm guessing this is not allowed because he is legally family? Am I correct?

Thanks

JayClark79

Re: Question about Questionnaires
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 06:07:57 PM »
I've been wondering the same question... Only way they would be able to tell is if they asked him how he knew you, and he told them he's your father in law. Though i'd like to know for sure.. My FIL lives  in my neighborhood so he could technically say he's a neighbor, but my luck he'd forget and say he is my FIL lol

JayClark79

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 06:23:34 PM »
I'll add a question about the questionnaires... Can you have 2 people that live in the same house be a reference? For example... my friend and his wife?

Morder Chemiker

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 06:30:33 PM »
I was wondering that too however they have different last names and I'm unsure if they changed their addresses on their drivers  licenses.  I had the question about my friend and his father too because they are family friends but figured I would try to keep away from the same last name.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 07:29:51 PM »
The application requests "five citizens from the county in which you reside". No more, no less. Family would be fine. I would 100% truthful on the app. One would assume that a more diverse group of five would look better than five from one family. Also people who have known you for 20 years > 6 months. But I've yet to hear from anyone who has had the references contacted.
New Castle County

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 07:41:06 PM »
Scratch the family bit. Wasn't mentioned on the instructions, but is on the application. Been too long.
New Castle County

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 07:48:42 PM »
Can't look it up right now but family wasn't allowed for your references. Yes you can use neighboring family husband and wife. 4 of my 5 references were husband/wife and the 5th was a daughter of one of the couples living in their house. With everything extra I needed to submit and 7 months wait, I figured they would be contacted for sure. None of my references were contacted.

Beretta92

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 07:49:02 PM »
I did use my neighbors (husband and wife) with the same last name and address as two of my references. I received my permit with no problems.

Morder Chemiker

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 08:19:15 PM »
I thought I had read the family thing before and I wasn't originally thinking about using him, however I figured it may be a plus and couldn't find it again when I looked quick so figured I would ask.

lems902

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 09:57:36 PM »
So I am in the process of getting everything together for my application and have a question about the questionnaire.  I was going to get my father in law to fill one out because he is pro-2nd and works for Corrections plus I have known him longer than other people I would get to fill it out.  I'm guessing this is not allowed because he is legally family? Am I correct?

Thanks

Just posted almost the same thing in the New Member section last night.  Thanks for some clarification.  Still need to figure out how to find 5 though:

Thanks again for the welcome everyone.  So - what I'm finding to be the hardest part of the CCW application process is finding 5 residents of the county to complete the reference form.  I very recently moved here...and don't know that many people, other than people at work.  Since they are my direct reports I think it would be inappropriate to ask them to be a reference for this, although I am sure all would.

Does anyone know what is considered "family".  My mother's cousin's son is a resident of NCC - would he be allowed to complete the reference form?  And how about a 2nd cousins spouse?

Looking forward to securing all 5 references so I can get this thing turned in and start my wait!
New Castle County
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
DE/PA/FL CCDW permits

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 10:50:56 PM »
I wouldn't use parents, siblings, cousins, grandparents or in-laws. The spouse of a second cousin could be used I'd guess but really you should just ask people near you. Get to know a few of your neighbors. Host a Halloween and/or Christmas neighborhood party or attend one to get to know the people around you. Our neighborhood has 4 or 5 houses who host holiday parties for the neighborhood and it was a great way to meet people. While most of the people don't socialize often (aside from a friendly wave to each other) this is a way to bring everyone together. We attended 2 of these when we moved here and I asked 1 person about the questionnaire and by the end of the night we had 20 who said they would sign one for us.

btw be prepared to send in a 'complete' drivers extract from your prior state's DMV to help speed up the process. We lived here in DE for 2 years before sending our paperwork in and this delayed us a bit when the investigator called and requested the abstract. I've been told this is now standard practice for people living here for less then 5 years.

lems902

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 03:05:32 AM »
I wouldn't use parents, siblings, cousins, grandparents or in-laws. The spouse of a second cousin could be used I'd guess but really you should just ask people near you. Get to know a few of your neighbors. Host a Halloween and/or Christmas neighborhood party or attend one to get to know the people around you. Our neighborhood has 4 or 5 houses who host holiday parties for the neighborhood and it was a great way to meet people. While most of the people don't socialize often (aside from a friendly wave to each other) this is a way to bring everyone together. We attended 2 of these when we moved here and I asked 1 person about the questionnaire and by the end of the night we had 20 who said they would sign one for us.

btw be prepared to send in a 'complete' drivers extract from your prior state's DMV to help speed up the process. We lived here in DE for 2 years before sending our paperwork in and this delayed us a bit when the investigator called and requested the abstract. I've been told this is now standard practice for people living here for less then 5 years.

Thanks for the advice.  I did already obtain a certified copy of my driver's abstract...I had heard that before.  All that I am waiting on is some references at this point...LOL
New Castle County
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
DE/PA/FL CCDW permits

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 02:37:32 AM »
I am probably preaching to the choir , but I don't think the references or the news paper ads at all appropriate. I have never heard of references when you receive some tax payer goodies.

I would dare say I dont believe it is constitutional because it is almost like the intent is to shame people into not applying and also putting unnecessary fees on someone to exercise a constitutional right.

Now to turn this into a debate on abortion ( to each their own. We will have different opinions. Mine actually have changed some since 2010), but if it is not an invasion of our privacy to have to put our name in the paper or get a reference how can that argument be fairly used against spousal notification laws since privacy rights are what is often claimed by the left.

Just a thought. Dont want a huge abortion debate. Really just want to show the hypocritical nature of the left.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 02:55:07 AM »
I think the references are entirely appropriate, but the newspaper ad is horse crap.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 04:03:46 AM »
Personally I think neither are appropriate. Just because someone might be a loner with no friends, a grouchy a$$ole and people don't like them or perhaps just moved here from Alaska (wherever) and doesn't know anyone shouldn't be a reason to not have a permit or be able to defend themselves. The newspaper thing is just annoying and is entirely pointless. Both require other people to know my private business and the fact that I may carry a firearm as well as have them in the house.

It should simply come down to your background check.