Author Topic: Carrying in School Zones  (Read 12898 times)

MikeF

Carrying in School Zones
« on: August 30, 2012, 09:58:42 PM »
I am confused about this area.  I was told by a former State Trooper that worked in schools that teachers and staff are not allowed to carry in school (heard it in a conference I was attending).  I'm don't work for the school system by the way.  I was told in my CCW class that teachers and staff can carry at work as long as they have their CCW.  Does anyone know which is correct.

This brings me to my next question.  If I need to go to my daughters school to pick on of them up or for a parent / teacher conference or some other meeting or event, will I be breaking the law if I carry?

I was trying to read the law but I'm just getting hung up a little especially with this former Trooper saying that you can't carry in school.  I know cops are wrong sometimes too.

Any kind of clarificaiton would be great!

Thanks!

Mike

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: Carrying in School Zones
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 11:36:38 PM »
First question: The law does not prohibit teachers from carrying in a school if they are Delaware residents with a Delaware CCDW, but the terms of their employment may say otherwise. If caught carrying, they may well lose their jobs, but would not be charged with a crime (unless their lawyer sucked).

Second question: Delaware residents with a Delaware CCDW can carry in a school, or on school property (but not in a school bus).

I've carried in a school a few times. It seemed more responsible than leaving a loaded gun in a car, and my lawyer's office was just up the street anyway...
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

MikeF

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 12:33:36 AM »
Thank you!

hunter4life

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 01:02:36 AM »
You nailed it....actually i think the school bus law was just passed in 2010. Some schools may have "rules" agaisnt weapons but thats far from a law. Even if they do have that rule if its concealed then nobodys knows. And if they do see it because you had to use it agaisnt some kid thats been playing way too many video games then im sure they wont be reminding you about there "rules".

SweetPete

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 02:56:52 PM »
Not on a school bus?? What's the thought behind that law? :D Thats like saying you can carry in school, but not in the library. One of my kids are in kindergarten, and if I was to chaperone a field trip, I would most certainly want it then. I guess it may be related to some car jacking / hijacking concerns. Being this is DE, things don't need to make sense, as we all know.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 08:37:42 PM »
Not on a school bus?? What's the thought behind that law?

Think of the children!!!!  Oh my, a gun...  Besides they will be SAFE if no guns are there.[/BS]
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 08:43:15 PM »
We were driving south of Middletown today, and we saw a bunch of school-age kids crossing the road, one with a rifle.

Sadly, this seemed unusual for a moment, before we realized that they were hunting...

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 02:37:38 PM »
My polling place is in a school.  Does anyone know if CC is prohibited during election polling?
Proud resident of Kent County DE

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 03:24:10 PM »
My polling place is in a school.  Does anyone know if CC is prohibited during election polling?
It is not. We always carry to the polls.
This year, they moved our polling place to a church... still legal.

Bogey

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 07:24:53 PM »
Great Info guys.
The things you see when you don't have a gun.....

Bogey

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 11:35:02 PM »
Are we sure about this? Because in the no carry page of this forum it says schools,ced. bldg.I'm confused now.

Bogey

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 11:37:20 PM »
Fed bldg. not ced bldg .sorry.

Bogey

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 11:40:20 PM »
Where can i get this info? I pick my kids up everyday from school.

MikeF

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 01:30:49 AM »
State parks are the same as schools right?  If you have a CCW it's ok.  Is that correct?

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 01:35:51 AM »
Bogey, I think people get confused when reading 1457 (link below)
http://www.delcode.delaware.gov/title11/c005/sc07/index.shtml#1441
It mentions it's a felony to carry a concealed weapon in a safe school zone, but it is referencing 1452, which is talking about concealed carrying without a license to do so.
New Castle County