Author Topic: Locking gun in car in Commie States  (Read 13549 times)

Steveo

Locking gun in car in Commie States
« on: June 17, 2016, 07:18:24 PM »
Live in DE (permit) work in PA(permit) as a contractor supervisor I need to go to job sites in the 2 commie boarder states. Is there a legal way I can store gun and ammo seperately in my vehicle. I would put gun in lock box and all ammo in another part of vehicle, probably lock it also. Is there a way to do this legally ???

AudiQ

Re: Locking gun in car in Commie States
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 07:47:38 PM »
Get a ccw permit in PRNJ and MD- would be the only legal way. good luck with that.
Endeavor to persevere

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 09:49:20 PM »
No way to do it legally.
If you are passing through either state, having it unloaded & locked up renders it legal under Federal law. Once you stop the car, even just to use the rest room, either state (especially NJ) might lock you up on felony charges. If you are going into the state, stopping to work, and then returning to Delaware, you would almost certainly be prosecuted if you were stopped.
Remember, also, that possession of hollow-point ammo is a separate crime in NJ...
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

ChrisCar

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 12:45:51 AM »
@OGG: I agree with your analysis/advice, but be aware that back in April NJ's attorney general issued a memo clarifying (sort of) temporary stops while traveling through the state with firearms.  Bathroom-stops might be ok (depending on facts).   

See my earlier post for a link to the memo.  http://deccw.com/index.php?topic=4531.msg32176#msg32176
New Castle County
DE CCDW,  PA LTCF,  UT CFP
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 12:48:49 AM »
@OGG: I agree with your analysis/advice, but be aware that back in April NJ's attorney general issued a memo clarifying (sort of) temporary stops while traveling through the state with firearms.  Bathroom-stops might be ok (depending on facts).   

See my earlier post for a link to the memo.  http://deccw.com/index.php?topic=4531.msg32176#msg32176

I saw it, but I don't trust an NJ cop to follow that memo... getting arrested on felony gun charges would still be a disaster, even if they decide to prosecute later.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Steveo

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 01:31:37 AM »
Thanks for advice, looks like I will be leaving my gun at home during work because I can be called to cross the border at any time :(

ChrisCar

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 02:03:20 AM »
I work in Jersey 3 days a week. I feel your pain.  :'(
New Castle County
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

ChrisCar

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 03:14:20 AM »
I saw it, but I don't trust an NJ cop to follow that memo... getting arrested on felony gun charges would still be a disaster, even if they decide to prosecute later.

Completely agreed.  Avoiding a charge is always better (and cheaper) than beating it!
New Castle County
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

8thFA

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 12:25:02 AM »
I work in MD, and have friends there as well.  Every time I cross the border into Commie land, I leave my firearm at home.  :(
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

TechGeek

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 06:23:40 PM »
I am not sure I fully understand what @OGG is saying about traveling to "commie" states like MD, NJ?  Basically the jist is you can only travel THROUGH those states with your firearm / ammo locked up separately and cannot stop at all?

If that is the case what about if you were going to a gun range in either of those two states...technically your stopping and not "passing through"?
Kent County

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 09:01:21 PM »
 Besides it being legal to transport weapons through MD, you can carry to a range or gunsmith if you go directly there and abide by the rules about keeping guns unloaded and separate from ammo under lock and key.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 09:21:40 PM »
The not stopping at all is a little harsh.  Actually courts have ruled that to be protected under the federal law, the stop my be "incidental to travel".  Stopping for gas or to eat and leaving the gun in the car would be ok, but going to a range is not.  Maryland does permit this but it New Jersey apparently does not.

The gray area is staying overnight.  The only test case I know of involved a diverted flight into Newark Airport.  The diverted traveler stayed overnight in a hotel.  He collected his baggage which included a gun that he was supposed to land in Pennsylvania with.  When he went to check his bags the next day he was arrested and jailed. The court ruled that he was not protected as the law only applied to vehicle carry. The cops and the judge didn't care that he was diverted to New Jersey.  They treated him like a common criminal. I'm sure they were proud of themselves.

DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 10:37:51 PM »
I was raised in commie land (MD.) I have lots of friends and relatives there.  I seldom go back there as I don't want to go where I can't carry. I have been there twice in the last year or so. once to a banquet, and once to a Shorebirds game. Have nothing on my calender for the rest of the year as far as MD. If they want to see me they can come here. I haven't moved in 28 years.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

LostM

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 02:06:06 AM »
Hollow points are not illegal in NJ, it is additional time added to your sentence for using hollow points in the commission of a crime.

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 09:25:39 AM »
Hollow points are not illegal in NJ, it is additional time added to your sentence for using hollow points in the commission of a crime.

That's correct that they are not illegal per se, but they are regulated quite a bit.
I found this info straight from the NJ state police site:

http://www.njsp.org/firearms/index.shtml

There is info at that link on transporting guns into and through NJ as well as info on hollow point ammo.

DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member