Author Topic: Have you or anyone else you know been denied a permit or renewal?  (Read 14856 times)

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
Have you or anyone else you know been denied a permit or renewal? and why? Just though this may make for an interesting topic?
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: Have you or anyone else you know been denied a permit or renewal?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 12:58:08 AM »
Nope.  But I was always under the impression (for YEARS) that getting your permit application approved was @@@@ near impossible and thats why I took so long to apply.  Wish I had applied many moons ago when I first got out of the service!

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 11:38:55 AM »
Moosie, I thinks a few years ago that was the case. I think that one of the compromises when DE tried to pass the shall issue law was to issue permits as long as people had a clear background. I may be wrong but it seems like that's what's been happening.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 12:16:28 PM »
Our instructor says he's gotten dozens of CCDW permits approved for about 15 years or more, with only one failure: a guy who DID have something on his beckground. He has a filing cabinet full of records to back this up.

He thinks the reasons for his success have been well-written reasons for carrying, and completing the training before applying. He always has his students write out a few paragraphs of justification for a carry permit. Then, he looks them over, and suggests improvements.

We used these for my wife's application (all true, of course). We'll see if they are adequate:
1.   My husband owns [a small business]. I do the bookkeeping, and much of the purchasing, for his business. I make his bank deposits and transport expensive _________ equipment in my vehicle, often during evening hours. As well as theft, I fear serious physical injury or death.
2.   There have been several armed robberies, shootings and murders within a mile or two of our home. All 4 banks in the nearby ______ Shopping Center have been robbed within the last few years, including our _______ Bank branch inside the _____. I fear serious physical injury or death.
3.   I frequently drive my mother to and from her job at _______________. Her shift often starts at 5:45 AM, or it may end as late as 10:30 PM; at those times, the parking lot is dark, deserted and dangerous. I fear serious physical injury or death.
4.   I no longer feel safe when making deposits or withdrawals from ATM machines. They are dark and isolated. I fear serious physical injury or death.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

shooter

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 05:04:51 PM »
Yes, I was denied because of my driving record, The attorney generals offices issued a letter of objection to the court. I requested a hearing and the Judge told me if I took a defensive driving class that he would approve my application. I took the class, sent in my paperwork and recieved my permit about a week later. The whole ordeal took 6 months.

cwsmith

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 04:28:43 AM »
So DE isn't a shall issue state?

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 10:06:41 AM »
So DE isn't a shall issue state?

Nope, May issue all the way
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 02:03:09 PM »
Our instructor says he's gotten dozens of CCDW permits approved for about 15 years or more, with only one failure: a guy who DID have something on his beckground. He has a filing cabinet full of records to back this up.

From the reasons listed, I know how you did training with.. :)  I did too....
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 09:03:13 PM »
From the reasons listed, I know how you did training with.. :)  I did too....
Yoda, right? Gotta love him...

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 12:05:20 AM »
what would some reasons to deny? I can see the obvious things,  history of problems, evediently driving record ( from above post), but what else would they deny for ???.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 12:09:43 AM »
I know of a guy who got denied for having multiple DUI's.

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 01:36:34 AM »
I know of a guy who got denied for having multiple DUI's.
I can see that happening. I was wondering if they look for any reason not to issue or just a good reason? I havent heard of any reasons I would call extreme to not issue.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 04:22:58 PM »
I think any criminal background will get you denied, but I could be very wrong.

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 10:12:01 AM »
Remember, “denied” doesn’t mean “can’t get”, as you always have the option of appealing the denial.  Unless you have a serious roadblock in your past, appealing a denial actually looks favorable to you.

Also, one of the things that they do is a semi-background check by “maybe” contacting your references.   So, it’s possible that your friends could inadvertently cast you in a negative light.

Speaking of backgrounds, one commonality that the turned-down guys seem to have – ex-wives.  Ya know, this is an area where getting straight information is very tough, because an ex-spouse can typically be viewed as an adversarial party.  Given the subject matter, though, when the person that you used to me MARRIED to says something about your violent tendencies, I am sure that it is much safer to err on the side of caution and issue a denial instead of a permit.   
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 11:16:01 PM »
Hey, Moosie, I'm not really takin' sides on this issue.  Either party could be the bad party, and either party could also be willing to lie.

Now, as far as how "they" may find such information - I would offer a couple of possibilities.  The first is that the applicant may have some kind of record accompanying the previous marriage.  Again, it may or may not be legitimate (PFA's are easy to get, ya know, whether deserved or not -- again, courts err on the side of caution).   The second possibility is that the subject comes up in the reference check. 

Please understand, I am not vouching for any of the stories or the people.  These folks are able to buy and possess weapons, so they must not have anything like a criminal history of violence.  To me, assuming that you are able to possess weapons, most previous transgressions are surmountable.  Things like a history of violence, substance abuse, or mental illness -- are probably not.         
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."