General Gun Discussion > Gunsmiths Corner

Glock Cleaning / etc

<< < (3/3)

Moosie:
Depending on which firearm I'm cleaning, I use a bore snake and fire clean. Every firearm I have gets lightly wiped down with a silicone rag after each time it's shot unless it's muddy. If it's muddy, it's allowed to dry, dry brushed clean, and then thoroughly cleaned. Patches are good, but a pain in the rear.  I avoid them when I can.

Moosie

Adrenolin:
Firearm Cleaning .. it's such a personal thing. Everyone seems to have their own little way and their favorite products. :) I know people who do complete tear downs every time they shoot, including disassembling the mags. I know others who lightly wipe them down now and then. It also depends on the type of firearm to a point. Does a firearm need to be cleaned every time its fired.. no. The cleaning is a by product of good maintenance in which I mean after shooting its good to inspect the firearm for damage. While breaking it down for inspection you may as well clean it also.

My Walther PPQ carry gets an inspection & cleaning after each use without fail. Not because I think the dirt will cause an issue if ever needed but because I want to inspect the internals for any damage or excessive parts wear. Since its apart I do a full cleaning anyways. Aside from 1 handgun, they all get inspected & cleaned each time.

I have a CZ 75 BD Police pistol that has been cleaned once when I brought it home. Did a quick inspection and cleaning and have since fired almost 2500 rounds through it without a single issue. It is dirty as heck but goes bang every time the trigger is pulled. It does get inspected for safety reasons but I've decided I'm never going to actually clean it. The only thing it does get is a bore snake pulled through the barrel at about 1000 rounds.

I have a large bottle of Hoppe's No 9 Bore Cleaner that's my main cleaner. I have a can of CLP I've used now and then but rarely. Cant say there is a reason for or against it. I use a product called Fluid Film for lubrication and corrosion protection. I use 2 Bore Snakes for each caliber. One is used with the Hoppe's to clean the barrel while the other gets pulled through with the Fluid Film. Any other metal part gets the FF applied as well then wiped off. Microfiber rags and Q-Tips. It leaves a film to lub and protect. Have a bottle of Hoppe's oil also but don't remember the last time I used it as the FF works great. I don't like 'wet' firearms.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version