CCW Methods & Issues > General CCW Discussion

Holster? or No Holster?

(1/3) > >>

Moosie:
So, I've been carrying my 9 in my purse this week (no.. not into work) and my question is with my firearm being double action should I be putting it in a holster when putting it in my purse? OR is it ok to simply tuck it in down along the side? 

I am looking for a compact firearm to replace this for summer time CCW, but until then I'm stuck lugging this thing around.  That being said, I'm just looking for things that I may be overlooking while trying to get comfy carrying it. 

I'm not 100% happy having to carry my firearm in my purse.  In fact, I'm really against it, but unless I want to dress like a lumberjack in the middle of July, I havent found an alternative to carrying in my purse.  At least until I get something very compact -- which makes me wonder about its impact or effectiveness. First, I KNOW I would not be able to grab it out of my purse quickly if I needed to.  I have figured out that I can still get to the trigger and pull it while still in the purse (yes.. firearm unloaded!). However, while I think someone would be a fool to try and snatch my purse from me -- it can happen.  OR... I could set it down for a split second while shopping and someone could pick it up... etc. 

Ugh! I am really contemplating figuring out some shirts or shorts, bikini LOL, etc for women to carry in and still be stylish!  Or maybe a purse / bag that would be an effective alternative. 

Anything you guys might be able to see or comment on that I'm missing? 

Thanks!

Moosie

CorBon:
Just a quick comment, but really, carrying in the purse is one of the worst places to carry.  I know, I know -- you're limited.  But, purse snatchings happen fast and often.

And, quite honestly, sometimes compromises have to be made.  This is where you have to start with what clothes you have, and the way that you wear them.  Get a holster for where you want to carry it, and see how it works out.  Maybe it doesn't work there, or maybe you have to layer something over it.  Figure out why it doesn't work there.  Barrel too long?  Grip too long?  Grip too big?  Frame too large?

Some holsters help to smooth over (such as a pancake) the weapon, while others tend to push them out (such as a paddle).  It's trial and error -- really.  But it has to start with finding a weapon that you feel comfortable with, both in size and effectiveness.

I know that this isn't really the answer that you were looking for, but it's a start.

GunEnvy:
I have to agree with corbon. Carrying a weapon is all about compromise and trial and error. My drawer is full of holsters, both cheap and expensive, that I either don't use anymore or only use if I am wearing certain clothes. As a side note.... If you decide to carry while wearing a bikini I'd bet nobody would notice the gun. :)

Sigarms12:
LMAO  ;D, Ok mow that my sides stopped hurting, Moosie don't know if this helps but I found this: http://www.kc3.com/editorial/womans_perspective.htm also google women's concealed carry a good bit of info out there.

GunEnvy:
And while I agree a purse probably isn't the best best mode of carry its still better then nothing. Carrying in a purse does have some advantages... The gun will never print, you don't have to worry about the wind blowing your shirt tail up and it greatly reduces the risk of shotting the woman in the bathroom stall next to you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version