Author Topic: Clarify Delaware AWB  (Read 1111 times)

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Clarify Delaware AWB
« on: October 20, 2022, 11:15:05 PM »
Trying to nail down the meaning of “detachable magazine” the so called assault weapons ban that our illustrious legislature enacted this past summer. 

Was in a gun shop discussion with a couple of guys and we were trying to determine if a “bullet button” mag release was legal in Delaware or rather does such device fall under the definition of a detachable magazine

Here is the definition in the final engrossed version of the law:

(6) “Detachable magazine” means an ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from a firearm without requiring disassembly of the firearm action or without the use of a tool, including a bullet or cartridge.

So does that exempt the “bullet button “ device from the law?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 11:16:59 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
Re: Clarify Delaware AWB
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 04:08:08 PM »
IANAL, but.....

removed readily from a firearm without requiring disassembly of the firearm action or without the use of a tool, including a bullet or cartridge.

I say, LEGAL as it would require a tool, bullet, or cartridge.

HOPEFULLY, DSSA will get this struck down.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 04:11:08 PM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 06:59:04 PM »
IANAL, but.....

removed readily from a firearm without requiring disassembly of the firearm action or without the use of a tool, including a bullet or cartridge.

I say, LEGAL as it would require a tool, bullet, or cartridge.

HOPEFULLY, DSSA will get this struck down.
I agree Radnor.   I re-read the d*** bill again and the exemption for the H-bar AR-15 is still in there. ( this was copied from the Maryland 2013 law)

I also questioned the list of firearms banned by brand name.  IANAL either but something tells be that this would amount to a “Bill of Attainder” which is forbidden by the US Constitution.   That is passing of a law that convicts someone of an offense without a trial.  What if congress were to ban Chevrolet Trucks by name?   While allowing Dodge trucks.  Would that be legal?   The assumption is that under the law, a firearm made by another company would be legal as long as it didn’t have the “nasty” features like grenade launchers or such.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 11:15:21 AM »
So, they are banning from 2 or more identifiers? 
  Name of self defense weapon
And detachable home defense magazine?
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.