Author Topic: School zone/Campus?  (Read 25234 times)

mrjam2jab

Re: School zone/Campus?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 02:48:01 PM »
I believe higher education facilities are NOT covered under the federal gun free school act. I have heard of many colleges that have their own policies or states that have laws against carrying and as far as I know Delaware does not.

Correct.

18 USC § 921 Definitions
(a) As used in this chapter—
The term “school zone” means—
(A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or
private school; or
(B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of
a public, parochial or private school.
 The term “school” means a school which provides
elementary or secondary education, as determined
under State law.
I'm not a gun nut.  I'm a 2nd Amendment enthusiast.

whatevah

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 02:38:05 AM »
I would also like to have in writing the part about CCW licensees being able to carry in a school. In the wake of the tragedy in Connecticut, and being a public school educator I would like to keep the printout with my license in the event I am questioned. My School Resource Officer is aware that I carry, but I want to have in writing the actual law just in case. Thanks!!

the official text of the US Code on the house.gov website is a little hard to view, but the basic version is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990 

I think that this link will take you to the correct section.  18 USC Section 922.  From there, use your browsers internal search function for "q)" and it'll drop down.  You'll need to scroll past the long-winded reasoning to subsection A for where the law actually starts.   subsection B-ii is the one that exempt CCW permit holders. 

oh and an easy link from our state Attorney General.  http://attorneygeneral.delaware.gov/schools/laws/gunfree.htm 

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 05:04:13 PM »
Seems to me the way it is written, it puts the judgement call in the hands of the school district. If they want an armed guard, police, or contracted guard in the schools they can. Right?
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

mominde

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 11:06:22 PM »
http://delaware.newszap.com/centraldelaware/119168-70/update-delaware-officials-outline-gun-proposals

The final proposal, sponsored by Dover legislator, Rep. Darryl M. Scott, D-Dover, would work to ban the possession of firearms within 1,000 feet of a school. Provisions have stated, “the law will not inhibit individuals who possess concealed weapons permits from carrying firearms in conformity with the permits and individuals who reside in a school zone will be exempt from prohibitions while the guns are on their property.”

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 12:19:43 AM »
  It sounds like , if you concieled carry, you can now be in school ?   

I guess somebody figured out how many teachers had CCDW
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 04:09:04 AM »
http://delaware.newszap.com/centraldelaware/119168-70/update-delaware-officials-outline-gun-proposals

The final proposal, sponsored by Dover legislator, Rep. Darryl M. Scott, D-Dover, would work to ban the possession of firearms within 1,000 feet of a school. Provisions have stated, “the law will not inhibit individuals who possess concealed weapons permits from carrying firearms in conformity with the permits and individuals who reside in a school zone will be exempt from prohibitions while the guns are on their property.”
And they leave their driveway heading to a gun range without a CCDW they are breaking the law... Technically. Go figure.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 12:56:15 PM »
And they leave their driveway heading to a gun range without a CCDW they are breaking the law... Technically. Go figure.

I interpret this as being in the same vein as the Castle Law.  If you are inside your vehicle then it is considered to be the same as inside your house.  Although I'm sure a lawyer could spin this any which way.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 03:32:24 PM »
That is how I understand as well

It sounds like , if you concieled carry, you can now be in school ?   

I guess somebody figured out how many teachers had CCDW

Newlife503

• Life Member
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 01:35:25 AM »
I apologize in advance for resurrecting an old thread, but could you please provide a source to said statement from the Attorney General's Office. I'd be interested in the wording, if it's in reference to Delaware or Federal Law and to whom it was directed.

As I'm sure it's been posted elsewhere, a Delaware Resident with a Delaware Concealed Carry of a Deadly Weapon Permit is permitted to carry within a "Gun Free School Zone" in Delaware both in accordance with Delaware State Code & Federal Law. If you require specific sources to these statues, please do not hesitate to ask. The only reason I don't post them now is I'm sure they've been otherwise posted somewhere on this forum.

Sorry to bring this up again, but I would like to know where I could see this in print.
NRA Life Member
DSSA Member
DE,PA,FL,UT CC Permits
New Castle County

Thlax

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 03:25:39 AM »
I apologize in advance for resurrecting an old thread, but could you please provide a source to said statement from the Attorney General's Office. I'd be interested in the wording, if it's in reference to Delaware or Federal Law and to whom it was directed.

As I'm sure it's been posted elsewhere, a Delaware Resident with a Delaware Concealed Carry of a Deadly Weapon Permit is permitted to carry within a "Gun Free School Zone" in Delaware both in accordance with Delaware State Code & Federal Law. If you require specific sources to these statues, please do not hesitate to ask. The only reason I don't post them now is I'm sure they've been otherwise posted somewhere on this forum.

Sorry to bring this up again, but I would like to know where I could see this in print.

I believe though, for the University of Delaware, this is a different law. When I spoke to local Newark PD/Campus PD (I know police arent always the most knowledgeable about the law on the books), they said no firearms can be on campus at all.

antapd

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 11:56:07 PM »
I am enrolled at Wilmington University and attending classes in Georgetown (they share a few buildings with DelTech) and their Dover campus.  I have been trying to find a specific answer and all they say in their online rules is that a student who is illegally possessing a deadly weapon their expelled and what ever charges that the police give.  But they didn't show anything about specific Do's or Don'ts in regards to firearms or CCW.  I can't afford to find out the hard way so I decided to call and ask them over the phone before one of their highly skilled security guards calls the police.  The guy who answered first gave a bunch of "Um's" and then transferred me to Security.  The guy was real nice and said that the school would ask that anyone legally possessing a firearm secure it in their car prior to entering any of the buildings.  I didn't get into a lengthy conversation with him but I imagine they don't want it disturbing the class because not everyone is comfortable around someone with a gun.  I am there for probably about 2 yrs so I will try to find out the specifics. 

Long and short is Wilmington University said they want weapons secured in your vehicle while in class.
NRA Member
Vol. Fire Co. Member
Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club Member

Thlax

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 05:16:51 AM »
I am enrolled at Wilmington University and attending classes in Georgetown (they share a few buildings with DelTech) and their Dover campus.  I have been trying to find a specific answer and all they say in their online rules is that a student who is illegally possessing a deadly weapon their expelled and what ever charges that the police give.  But they didn't show anything about specific Do's or Don'ts in regards to firearms or CCW.  I can't afford to find out the hard way so I decided to call and ask them over the phone before one of their highly skilled security guards calls the police.  The guy who answered first gave a bunch of "Um's" and then transferred me to Security.  The guy was real nice and said that the school would ask that anyone legally possessing a firearm secure it in their car prior to entering any of the buildings.  I didn't get into a lengthy conversation with him but I imagine they don't want it disturbing the class because not everyone is comfortable around someone with a gun.  I am there for probably about 2 yrs so I will try to find out the specifics.  

Long and short is Wilmington University said they want weapons secured in your vehicle while in class.

I think in UDs books it says no weapons on campus.....but I imagine it could be something like no guns in a school zone of sorts (but if you have a CCW its different). When i see shootings at schools and I express my frustration to my girl friend (shes OK with long guns but i am still working on her comfort level with pistols) she always argues people wouldnt be comfortable with me carrying. All I say is- you have no idea when I do and do not carry- that is the purpose of CC vs OC. No one would know.

But I have a couple months left then i am done so its not worth currently pursing...but all the muggings/robberies around newark has made me more cautious and carry everywhere except on campus. Its a pain but I think the skills learned with CCW, being more aware of your surroundings and such, has given me a lot more protection than the average joe, walking alone at night, not paying attention on their cell phone or even during the day.

I am always aware of my surrounds, if I am not comfortable, I move, move fast out of it. Just like vehicle accidents- you are more likely to get into a collision/such close to your home, I am extremely caution every step to my door.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 05:18:50 AM by Thlax »

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 06:10:09 PM »
i believe that the UD campas is a no gun zone due to being state property.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

mrjam2jab

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2013, 12:41:08 AM »
i believe that the UD campas is a no gun zone due to being state property.

I don't think UD is State property.  It's website says it is "A state-assisted, privately governed institution,"
I'm not a gun nut.  I'm a 2nd Amendment enthusiast.

FIREFIGHTER7248

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2013, 03:34:06 AM »
All I know is you are exempt by law if you live within '1000 ft from a school
Sussex County