Author Topic: References  (Read 9168 times)

SKYDIVR

References
« on: April 20, 2011, 05:51:34 AM »
I called today to set up an appointment for fingerprinting at Troop 2 on May 4th, so it looks like a 2 week wait.

In the meantime I'm looking at the Reference Questionnaire and wondering who would be best to use as a reference. I'm assuming knowing a few police officers and a pair of city councilman would be great, but I don't have that luxury. I work at one of the major corporations in the area, and I'm thinking that some of my close peers and upper management leaders may be suitable... however, this is not something I want to broadcast to many in the workplace, so this may only leave me with a few that are close and trustworthy.

Does anyone that has had success with this process in the past have suggestions for individuals that make for solid references? Have your references all been close allies, that understand your motives and desire to carry, and educated in firearms so if questioned by the AG or approving Judge you are cast in a positive light?

trevor

Re: References
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 10:12:46 AM »
I initially approached 7 co-workers. They were all discreet.

One was unhappy about my application and told me so. :o I was surprised, but we just respectfully disagree about gun ownership.

The others were happy to help. None were politically connected nor were they 'management', just regular, solid citizens--parents and homeowners.

I ended up with one 'extra' reference that went unused.

Had no trouble obtaining my permit. Just renewed it last week. :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 10:17:41 AM by trevor »

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 10:58:03 AM »
I used two co-workers as references and wouldn't recommend that to anyone.  Why? someone gets their panties in a bunch over something brilliant that happens at work and now you're hoping and praying they still give you a good reference.  This was not the case for me, but it was something I thought about AFTER I submitted them.  I knew them, but didn't really KNOW them if you know what I mean LOL. 

I would use friends or neighbors you've known that, as far as you know, are good upstanding, law abiding citizens, who have knowledge about your character.  My experience has been that they don't call your references anyway.  But they've got it on paper that says these 5 people vouched for you. 

Good luck and keep us posted on your process!

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

colt0208

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 02:28:42 PM »
I used a few co-workers and a neighbor.... shouldn't matter much, everyone I talk to says they never even contacted any references.... I know none of mine were.... they do a background check on them though, so I made sure all of mine were good to go before hand.... good luck....

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 09:40:18 PM »
I had one reference notified. I do think they do a br check on them also . I just used family friends and had no trouble. I would lean away from co-workers due to potential problems down the road. I wouldn't worry about anyone special just solid folks.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 11:05:24 PM »
When I first applied in 2005, I collected my reference questionnaires at a party with several long-time friends in attendance. It was easy to choose five non-hoplophobes who lived in NCCo. They all sat down at the kitchen table and filled them out together.

When my wife applied last year, we decided not to use any of her co-workers: her employer at the time had a "No Firearms" policy that extends to cars on their property. We were "undecided" about strictly obeying that policy, so we didn't want to start workplace gossip about her permit application. (She no longer works there).

When I provide references for friends, I include my own CCDW permit number so the reviewer will know it's from a permit holder. I don't know if that actually helps, but none of them got turned down...
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

SKYDIVR

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 12:25:34 AM »
You guys have all been extremely helpful, thank you for your insight. I certainly understand that using co-workers can be a tricky situation, especially as my workplace is highly competitive (People look to one up you any way possible) so I would not want this to come back and bite me in the @@@. However, since several of you stated most references are not contacted that eases some of my concerns. I'll be sure to use upstanding members of the community in my circle of friends for the references.

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress, thanks again.

tz9x21

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 02:19:51 AM »
Just 2 quick items.

1. A friend of mine who got his permit was told by someone at the AG's office that some of his references were not acceptable as he had only known them for 5 years or less and they wanted people who knew him for a longer period of time. Which begs the question, what if you've only lived in your county for a couple years?

2. Another person I know found out that one of his references had a criminal record and was asked to get another reference.
Just when you think you know your friends.....................   :o
"... so my wife says, don't you have enough guns?" to which I reply, "My dear, there is no such thing as enough guns."

SKYDIVR

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 05:18:15 AM »
Great point, I've only lived in NCCo for about 3 years. I grew up in Cecil County, actually right in Fair Hill for 11 years before moving all of 3 miles to Newark. That discounts countless references that I literally grew up with that could withstand any scrutiny. Many of my work references I've only known for 3 maybe 4 years.

Are the rules adamant on the fact that the reference must live in the DE county you do? Along the same lines...my father has his concealed carry out of North Carolina, and after an easy background check of him would they discount that reference from my pile?

colt0208

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 08:08:42 AM »
Great point, I've only lived in NCCo for about 3 years. I grew up in Cecil County, actually right in Fair Hill for 11 years before moving all of 3 miles to Newark. That discounts countless references that I literally grew up with that could withstand any scrutiny. Many of my work references I've only known for 3 maybe 4 years.

Are the rules adamant on the fact that the reference must live in the DE county you do? Along the same lines...my father has his concealed carry out of North Carolina, and after an easy background check of him would they discount that reference from my pile?

Unfortunately you can't use your father, they put right on the app "no relatives" .... one of my references I have only known for a year, they put that on there, and I had no problems whatsoever...yes the rules are they have to be from your county.. I spent a majority of my life in new castle county before moving to Kent a few years ago. I hardly know anyone down here so it was a.little difficult to find references... I used one of my neighbors. Good luck..

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 10:48:57 AM »
I've never heard that they've discounted, required more references, or excluded them simply because you haven't known them more than the required 2 years.  In fact, I'm pretty sure they can't do that. 

If you have folks you've known for 3-4 years and you are sure they'll give you a good reference if contacted, then use them.  They MUST live in the same county as you in Delaware!  NO relatives are allowed.  Not by blood or marriage!

As for your friends having a criminal record... well.. unless it's something that happened recently, how else would you know?  People do brilliant things -- sometimes illegal brilliant things -- and then they magically pull their head out of their rear and live out their lives as upstanding citizens. Unless you ask, you'd never know... even then, I don't know you'd get a straight answer.  Who owns up to something like a criminal record?!

Best of luck to you.  Don't overthink this!  In my opinion, the AG's office wants proof that there are 5 folks who have known you well enough for 2 years or more that are willing to say yes, he/she isn't crazy and I think would be responsible while carrying a concealed firearm. 

Moosie 

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

pete319

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 02:55:13 AM »
SKYDIVER

I TURNED IN MY APPLICATION ON DEC 8TH AND RECIEVED IT APR.14TH  WHAT I DID WAS I TURNED IN MORE THAN THE MINIMUM 5 REFERENCES.
WHAT I DID WAS MAKE SURE I USED AT LEAST 5 NEIGHBORS FOR REFERENCES. A LITTLE THING I WAS TOLD THAT MAKE SURE YOUR REFERENCES ARE CLEAN. IF THEY HAVE A PAST IT COULD AFFECT YOU. I GUESS THEY CHECK YOUR REFERENCES TO SEE WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE YOU HANG WITH.

John

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 02:19:43 AM »
I agree with moosie, the fact that you have five people who will back you is all they are looking for.  I have yet to meet anyone who was denied because of references.  Good luck!  Bottom line-background check.

SKYDIVR

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 04:16:23 AM »
Thanks again for feedback guys. I go for fingerprinting tomorrow at Troop 2 over near the YMCA on 40, and then on Saturday I'm taking the CCW course with Dave Johnson at Ommelanden so it's all coming together slowly but surely. I think I heard that it takes a few weeks for those results to come back, and as soon as they do my application will be in the mail.

Plenty of time to decide between a new Glock or an XDm.... ;)

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 05:17:29 PM »
Results?  Results of what?  Your course should give you a certificate that day, and your fingerprints are taken, you get your reciept to show your proof of payment, etc I think there is a form too???   Sorry... I can't remember if there is or not.  You're not waiting for anything on either.  Get your class done, put your newspaper ad in and get that thing in the mail!

Moosie