Author Topic: References  (Read 9167 times)

SKYDIVR

Re: References
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 12:51:20 AM »
Moosie, you're 100% correct. The woman who took my prints gave me a Reciept/Verification document that I include in my application packet and she said the results of my backgrround check are sent directly to the Prothonotary's office. I thought I read somewhere that I had to wait for these results, but that in fact is not true. I was in and out very quickly, and they only charged an additional $10.00 to take ink prints for my FL out of state application. I already have my news paper Affidavit of Publication, so I'm good to go.

Do you guys suggest including my class paperwork from Dave in my application packet to expediate the process, or will that not matter?

John

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 01:05:05 AM »
Just include your Certificate you got from Dave.   Glock or XD?? Why not both?  That's what I did. ;D  Lawmens in Dover has the Glock for $480.  $399. if you are or were LEO or Vol. Fireman/EMS

colt0208

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 02:02:18 AM »
Once you go Glock....you never go back... ;D

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 11:43:04 AM »
Include the proof for your class (just the certificate).  It will expedite things for you in the long run.

Make sure your newspaper ad is within the time limit. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

kimmie

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 11:49:54 AM »
This is going to be hard - getting references!  Most of the people I know are in MD and finding 5 that are in my county (let alone state) - well that's a toughy!  Are they adamant about where they live? 
Retired Navy Vet, Married w/2 kids.  Work in Salisbury MD.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 04:17:58 PM »
Yes, Kimmie.  They MUST reside in your county.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

SKYDIVR

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2011, 10:53:04 PM »
Kimmie, I feel yeah there. I had to use several guys from work, as well as one of my original skydive instructors who just happens to live all the way up here in NCCo for one of my references.

Dave's course today was great, he's extremely knowledgeable, passionate, and has a genuine desire for you to carry safely. The course got off to a rough start once we heard the news that a boater had been hit with a stray round in the arm and all ranges were closed until further notice. We were able to knock out all the "classroom" portion of the course in time to make it back the range in time to pop 100 rounds off to finish it all off. It was my first time at Ommelanden as well and I'm sure I'll be back, the pistol range is really nice.

I think both sounds like a good idea John. I stopped at X-Ring today after the course and even a regular XD looked like a winner so we'll see.. I still have some time to think about it.

wadcutter

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 09:54:07 PM »
So I've got the gist of it -- references need to be in your county. 

Is the "known you for 2 years" part also mandatory?   I know absolutely nobody in the area I'm moving to, and will be starting from scratch.       Would be a shame if I have to wait 2 years and then nag a bunch of people in Summer 2013.    Anyone want a pistol shooting buddy for the next 24 months?

;D

rusirius

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 12:03:23 AM »
So I've got the gist of it -- references need to be in your county. 

Is the "known you for 2 years" part also mandatory?   I know absolutely nobody in the area I'm moving to, and will be starting from scratch.       Would be a shame if I have to wait 2 years and then nag a bunch of people in Summer 2013.    Anyone want a pistol shooting buddy for the next 24 months?

;D

As I recall there isn't ANYTHING that actually states your references have to know you for 2 years...  I'm not positive about that, but I don't remember it anywhere... However, I think common sense prevails here... The point of having the references is that these people know you and can vouch for your character.  Somebody who has only known you for a couple of months is going to carry far less weight than someone who has known you several years.  If one or two of your references were like this, I don't know how much of a difference it would make, but if all 5 are, I suspect it may be a difficult thing to get by with...

If it were me, and you were going to "try", I would probably get 5 written references from people in my previous county (regardless of state) who had known me for many years, then ALSO submit the normal 5 references from within the county you now reside.  At least then you might have a little better chance of the judge signing off on it.  Still I don't know that I'd count on it!  *shrug*

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 12:50:45 AM »
It used to be that the references HAD to know you for at least two years or more.  Now, there is no time limit on there, but I would use extreme caution using a reference that you really don't know.  Your references are a reflection of you.  If you use your neighbor and unbeknownst to you, he's been convicted of burglary 10 times, then chances are that's not going to go over well for your application. 

Good luck!

Moosie