Author Topic: Delaware/South Carolina Reciprocity  (Read 5875 times)

Gary Slider

Delaware/South Carolina Reciprocity
« on: January 14, 2011, 11:01:57 PM »
I have talked to South Carolina SLED and they say they do not have reciprocity with Delaware. I have talked to the DE AG's office and they say they do. I was told they have a signed agreement. I told them SC was telling people that no agreement was in effect and they would not honor a DE Permit/License to Carry.  The DE AG's office thanked me for bringing this to their attention and they said they would contact SC and get this straightened out. Now we just have to wait and see what happens. If I am not contacted by the DE AG's office in a week to 10 days I will contact them again asking what the status is. Until then it is wait and see. But until SC make an official announcement on an agreement I would not carry in SC with a DE permit/license.
Stay Safe,
Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: Delaware/South Carolina Reciprocity
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 11:21:28 PM »
Great work, Gary.
Thanks for maintaining your site so well!
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 03:04:10 AM »
Both state's web sited state that they do not have reciprocity with each other although I realize web sites are often outdated.  It would definitely make sense to avoid carrying in SC until this is straightened out.

http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx?MenuID=CWP

http://attorneygeneral.delaware.gov/crime/concealedweapons.shtml

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

mrjam2jab

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 04:48:14 AM »
A recently introduced bill.... H 3292...if passed as is would have SC honoring all other state's licenses....

Scroll down to Section 8 N

(N)    Valid out-of-state permits to carry concealable weapons held by a resident of a reciprocal state must be honored by this State, provided, that the reciprocal state requires an applicant to successfully pass a criminal background check and a course in firearm training and safety. A resident of a reciprocal state carrying a concealable weapon in South Carolina is subject to and must abide by the laws of South Carolina regarding concealable weapons. SLED shall maintain and publish a list of those states as the states with which South Carolina has reciprocity.
I'm not a gun nut.  I'm a 2nd Amendment enthusiast.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 10:49:01 AM »
Both state's web sited state that they do not have reciprocity with each other although I realize web sites are often outdated.  It would definitely make sense to avoid carrying in SC until this is straightened out.

http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx?MenuID=CWP

http://attorneygeneral.delaware.gov/crime/concealedweapons.shtml

The Delaware AG site (second link) does appear to list reciprocity with South Carolina...
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 01:26:29 PM »
The Delaware AG site (second link) does appear to list reciprocity with South Carolina...
Oops, you are right. I guess I need to learn my alphabet a little better.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Gorski

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 02:12:44 PM »
Also noticed SC on Delawares web site, but..if you scroll over the listed states it will link you to that states site, SC does not show a link (does not high light when you scroll over it).  Hope that makes sense...my 2 cents
Never leave home without it!
New Castle County

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 12:53:34 PM »
Also noticed SC on Delawares web site...

Not any more   ???
Site updated yesterday.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Gary Slider

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 03:04:53 PM »
Looks like I won't be hearing anything from the DE AG's Office. Them removing SC from the list says everything. This makes DE. NE, WY, ND, AR & SD that have listed states they stated would honor their permit when there was no such agreement. NE is still listing MS as a state that will honor their permit/license and I have talked directly to the person in charge of the MS Firearms Unit and they say, "NO" Mississippi will not honor an NE permit/license. NE States on their website that NE will not honor a Mississippi Permit/License but that Mississippi will honor theirs. Have contacted NE and they sent me a letter signed by the head of the Mississippi Handgun Unit they stated was an agreement to honor their permit. The letter said what do we have to do to get NE to honor ours. IT was no agreement to honor NE permit/license. The one thing I know about Mississippi they will not honor anyone who does not honor theirs.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 03:06:46 PM by Gary Slider »
Stay Safe,
Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network

Gorski

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 01:20:03 AM »
just a couple more of my 2 cents worth.  after reading the recirocity agreement on the DOJ website I read..

" However, as of today Delaware does not recognize the concealed deadly weapon licenses or permits issued by states other than those listed below, and these states do not recognize Delaware's concealed deadly weapons licenses as valid"

am I missing something or does it say we have reciprical agreements with the listed states but they don not honor Delawares????

this is the last paragraph before the listing of the states...

gotta be me
New Castle County

Rabbit

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 04:09:11 AM »
am I missing something or does it say we have reciprical agreements with the listed states but they don not honor Delawares????

yes you are missing something, its not you fault bad wording on the AG's page...

"However, as of today Delaware does not recognize the concealed deadly weapon licenses or permits issued by states other than those listed below, and these states do not recognize Delaware's concealed deadly weapons licenses as valid."

in my opinion, these states refers to the states that are not listed. IE we don't recognize CCWs from states that are not listed below, and they (states not listed) don,t recognize Delaware's...

That help?

Gorski

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 11:46:35 AM »
Hey Rabbit..Thanks for the clarification, wanted to read it that way but just didn't seem to make sense.  Why would you use such a poor choice of word(ing) on such a serious matter...things that make ya go hmmmmmm
New Castle County