Author Topic: New Mexico  (Read 2403 times)

SKYDIVR

New Mexico
« on: October 17, 2011, 04:31:32 AM »
On a recent road trip from Southern California to Jacksonville NC, The only questionable state past California was NM. We took Old 66/40. The Purple Heart Trail. I have my DE CCDW permit, I also have my FL out of state permit, and PA out of state permit.

State of DE Law: http://attorneygeneral.delaware.gov/crime/concealedweapons.shtml

State of NM Law: http://www.dps.nm.org/lawEnforcement/ccw/index.php

See section on NM page that reads, "The states that New Mexico recognizes but does not have written agreements with are: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware* Florida, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina*, North Dakota, Ohio*, Oklahoma, South Carolina*, Tennessee, Virginia and Wyoming.

*New Mexicans traveling to the following states should know these states require written reciprocity agreements before NM permits are recognized:  Delaware, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.  Invitations have been sent and New Mexico is waiting on responses."

Are DE carry permit holders law abiding if they carry in NM?

Siludni

• Old-school citizen, Navy Vet, NRA Life, DSSA
Re: New Mexico
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 06:00:40 PM »
I have puzzled over this, as well.    The reciprocity maps available on other sites outline NM in red, suggesting a "footnote", which you listed above.
If NM says "honored without written agreement" that is pretty clear.  On the other hand, "honored" IS different than "reciprocity".  To "honor" another
state's permit is a "voluntary" action.
               Regards !
"How strange is youth! You are not ashamed to be a fool, but are ashamed to admit having been one, when admitting it will make you a wise man again!"
                                                                                        Daniel Defoe

mrjam2jab

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 06:24:17 PM »
The states that New Mexico recognizes but does not have written agreements with are:

As a DE resident in NM you are fine.  The issue comes with a NM resident wanting to carry in DE as DE requires a written formal agreement. 
I'm not a gun nut.  I'm a 2nd Amendment enthusiast.

SKYDIVR

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 03:33:05 AM »
Thanks Mr. Jam, that's the conclusion that I came to.