Author Topic: Older eyes and bifocals  (Read 2328 times)

Sinker

Older eyes and bifocals
« on: April 12, 2016, 08:44:17 PM »
I started shooting again recently and am really having a tough time getting used to shooting with my progressive lenses.  I end up awkwardly tilting my head back so I can get a clear sight picture, then of course the target is blurry.  I found the article below pretty helpful; I really need to switch my thinking from target shooting to defensive shooting.  And I really need some range time to do it.

I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on the article and how you've dealt with this situation.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/defensive-handgun-shooting-with-aging-eyes/

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Re: Older eyes and bifocals
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 10:33:06 PM »
Interesting article with a surprise assertion and a significant omission.  The assertion that "... one needs to be able to see the serrations on one’s front sight when shooting" in "combat" situation is well out of my experience.  I used to shoot "Bullseye" where that was important but can't see how that works for CQC. 
The omission was hi-viz sights that enable old eyes to acquire a general sight picture.

Otherwise, the advice to practice with the glasses that you normally wear is a point well taken. 
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Re: Older eyes and bifocals
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 11:34:37 PM »
Guess my eyes are better. I can see a sparrow land on a post a mile away, but if he lands on the end of my nose, I probably would not notice it. But my vision is pretty good of a distance, some correction used, but my main problem is close up/ When shooting I never really thought about it as I kinda focus on the target more than the sight. Seems to work for me.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun