Author Topic: Why get a Florida Permit?  (Read 11914 times)

firststatefirearms

Why get a Florida Permit?
« on: June 03, 2010, 01:59:01 PM »
I can't figure why everyone is interested in getting a Florida Permit?

The cost of the FL CCW is $117 every 5 years.  The Cost for DE CCW is $65 for 5 years, and PA CCW is $25 for 5 years.  So isn't it more cost effective to just get DE and PA?

DE and PA for 5 years $90.  DE and FL for 5 years $182.  That is more than double of DE and PA.

If you get your DE and PA permits, you can carry in 30 states.  With DE and FL you can carry in 36 states.  However the states that you pick up with the FL are:SC, AL, MS, NE, KS, and WA.

I understand if you're a person that travels alot, then getting FL might be worth it.  But if you don't go to those states listed then why spend more money than you have to? 

In my opinion either get DE and PA or get DE and FL.

Me personally I think I will stay with the DE and PA only. 
An armed citizen refuses to be a victim.

Schmenge

Re: Why get a Florida Permit?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 02:33:19 PM »
The latest info I can find rules out SC and KS even with a FL permit. However, KS is an open carry state, SC is not. A FL, PA, and DE permit will give me almost every state I regularly travel to, except NV.

By the way, does anyone have any recent experience with FL? I looking for info on how long they are taking to approve applications?
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

firststatefirearms

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 03:47:03 PM »
That is correct SC is state that requires resident only permits.  Us out of state folks don't get to carry in SC.  However according to handgunlaw.us, KS both resident and non resident permits.
An armed citizen refuses to be a victim.

mrjam2jab

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 03:56:38 PM »
If it makes a difference....FL is good for 7 years....
I'm not a gun nut.  I'm a 2nd Amendment enthusiast.

glock9

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 10:56:29 PM »
The latest info I can find rules out SC and KS even with a FL permit. However, KS is an open carry state, SC is not. A FL, PA, and DE permit will give me almost every state I regularly travel to, except NV.

By the way, does anyone have any recent experience with FL? I looking for info on how long they are taking to approve applications?

it took my dad a little over a month

Schmenge

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 07:01:43 PM »
Thanks Glock9, a month isn't too bad.
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

Hank

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 02:13:23 PM »
Hi everyone.
The next money you should spend Is on the book " Traveler's Guide to Firearm Laws of the Fifty States 2010 ", and every year after that If you ever think you may want to go traveling, and want to bring your weapon with you!!! Right off the top of my head I don't remember how much It costs, but cheap If you want to know the laws of other states, and not go by hear say???

Semper Fi all. Hank.

In God we trust, all others pay cash.

glock9

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 12:56:21 AM »
http://www.handgunlaw.us/  is also a great web page, its updated monthly. just print the states you need before you leave. with the ever changing gun laws, a book bought in january, could be out dated in february. save your money

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 04:19:08 PM »
recently I drove to Kentucky and back.  I made sure I visited each and every states website dealing with concealed carry THE NIGHT BEFORE I LEFT, printed them out and took them with me.  While www.handgunlaw.us is a great site, I dont put my freedom in the hands of what potentially could be a lazy web master! 

I also put the numbers of the state police agencies for the states i was traveling through in my phone in case I lost the printouts, at least I'd have someone to call and ask.  I know, this is overkill, but I'd rather be over doing it than sitting in jail because of something I THOUGHT.

Oh, and I did manage to text Sig as I approached the MD line because I couldn't remember if locking it in my trunk was good enough.  :)  thanks, Sig!!

Measure twice, cut once.  Oh... ummm..  different project.  LOL 

Just my two cents...

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Schmenge

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 05:40:36 PM »
For those of you considering a FL permit, the turn around is pretty quick. I mailed my app 5/15 and got my permit today (6/7). I can't complain about that!
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

Simpleman71

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 07:14:26 PM »
Got my florida permit back in 2 weeks.