State News & Gun News > NRA & National Gun News

Guns & Marijuana

(1/6) > >>

Hawkeye:
OK, no "sounds more like a convenience store" jokes allowed. 

With Delaware about to legalize medical marijuana what is your opinion on medical marijuana users carrying concealed weapons?

--- Quote ---WHITE CITY, Ore. (AP) — Cynthia Willis calls up and down the firing range to be sure everyone knows she is shooting, squares up in a two-handed stance with her Walther P-22 automatic pistol and fires off a clip in rapid succession.

Willis is not only packing a concealed handgun permit in her wallet, she also has a medical marijuana card. That combination has led the local sheriff to try to take her gun permit away.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---But the cardholders have won so far arguing this is one situation where federal law does not trump state law, because the concealed handgun license just gives a person a legal defense if they are arrested, not a right.

Oregon’s attorney general has sided with the marijuana cardholders, arguing that the concealed handgun license cannot be used to buy a gun, so sheriffs who issue one to a marijuana card holder are not in violation of the federal law.
--- End quote ---

This is an interesting article.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/can-marijuana-mix-with-concealed-guns-pistol-packing-pot-smoker-says-yes/

John:
Let's start a Poll.  I'll go first:  NO!

czer:
As usual with these cases it is more complicated than it at first sounds:

I would not want someone to be carrying under the influence. So, the point is, do not carry if you plan on carrying-on.

However, I do not agree that just because a person has a medical marijuana permit, they should not be allowed to get a carry permit. (This is what the article is all about - whether someone who has a permit to use medical marijuana should be denied the right to get a concealed carry permit.) Just because you are allowed to use MJ, does not mean you should carry under the influence of your last hit.

And, of course, if someone misuses their carry piece while under the influence, they should be subject to criminal penalty, the same if they were drunk or high on prescription drugs.

oldgraygeek:
Although our politics are as far apart as two peoples' can be, I often find myself agreeing with czer, and it has happened again.

Disclosure: I don't smoke marijuana (really -- need clean hair & pee? PM me)... but I grew up in the '70s, so I know a boatload of people who did, and many of them probably still do.
I favor the full legalization of marijuana. Failing that, I support its medical use.

While I oppose mixing any drugs with firearms, I don't support infringing upon the Second Amendment rights of people engaging in any non-violent, non-felonious activity.

Many who have served us in Iraq and Afghanistan are prescribed powerful anti-depressants and other drugs by the VA to help them deal with the effects of PTSD. They are not "mentally ill," so their RKBA is -- rightfully -- not revoked.
Now, imagine if they were allowed to smoke pot (which would probably work better) instead of taking nasty stuff like Klonopin and Xanax... but they lost their Second Amendment rights in the process? That would be TRULY wrong.

Lumspond:
I currently have a permit to drink beer, and a permit to carry. I choose to not do both, at the same time. Medical marijuana should be the same.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version