Author Topic: what to do when your stopped in delaware.  (Read 4782 times)

hunter4life

what to do when your stopped in delaware.
« on: August 31, 2012, 06:40:57 PM »
I dont really agree with the video posted on the thread about what you should do when stoped by a police officer. Unless the state requires it why would you raise awareness to the officer when its not necessary. Of course if he ask you to get out of the car for whatever reson then i would want to let them know before he finds out by suprise and throws me to the ground while pointing a gun at me. What does everyone else think?

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: what to do when your stopped in delaware.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 07:03:30 PM »
I will only inform the LEO if they ask me to get out of the car. Otherwise, no.
If they ask me to get out of the car, before doing so I will state that I have a concealed carry license, and am armed. I certainly won't say "I have a gun".
If we have any current/past LEO's on the board, maybe they can clarify.
New Castle County

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 08:58:02 PM »
I would hand over my CCDW permit with my license. This is my personal preference, and all the LEO's I know agree that it's better for them not to be surprised by the fact that you have a firearm. (As one explained to me, "If your gun startles me, I might accidentally blow your f***ing head off.")

I handed over my LTCF when I got stopped in PA two years ago, and the trooper seemed to appreciate the gesture. My old car was an ex-NCCo Ford Police Interceptor, so it rarely got stopped even though I drive like the ex-cabbie that I am.

I'm not sure why, but the new car I bought in June hasn't been pulled over yet either...  ???
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 09:25:17 PM »
Good one oldgraygeek  ;D

I would hand over my CCDW permit with my license. This is my personal preference, and all the LEO's I know agree that it's better for them not to be surprised by the fact that you have a firearm. (As one explained to me, "If your gun startles me, I might accidentally blow your f***ing head off.")

I handed over my LTCF when I got stopped in PA two years ago, and the trooper seemed to appreciate the gesture. My old car was an ex-NCCo Ford Police Interceptor, so it rarely got stopped even though I drive like the ex-cabbie that I am.

I'm not sure why, but the new car I bought in June hasn't been pulled over yet either...  ???

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 10:36:57 PM »
I will only inform the LEO if they ask me to get out of the car. Otherwise, no.
If they ask me to get out of the car, before doing so I will state that I have a concealed carry license, and am armed. I certainly won't say "I have a gun".

+1

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 11:25:53 PM »
Sweet ride Oldgray!
Is that also a "police interceptor" package? Like the black wheels and side spotlight.
New Castle County

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 11:39:31 PM »
Sweet ride Oldgray!
Is that also a "police interceptor" package? Like the black wheels and side spotlight.
Yep, it's a 2012 Charger Pursuit. I ordered it "for my business."  ::)

I told Chrysler Fleet that I really really needed that exact car for company use, because it's the only full-size American sedan with a trunk & no folding rear seat (both for anti-theft reasons) and no center console (because I need to mount a computer in the center)... and they very graciously accepted my money.

No police lights, no siren, nothing that will get me in trouble... except a 370 horsepower Hemi, of course.

That's exactly why I needed the police model. I'm a former Atlantic City cabbie, and it shows in my driving style. If I had a red Challenger R/T, I'd lose my license long before it was paid off.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 12:43:18 AM »
As I've stated before, I wouldn't mention that I have a spare tire, band-aids, or a flashlight -- so why would I offer up that I have a gun. 

I recommend sticking to the questions asked, and only deviate if conditions warrant.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

hunter4life

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 12:55:05 AM »
There all good points.....i guess it would depend on the situation for me. I think ill probably still keep my mouth shut. You never know, it could get you out of a ticket.