Author Topic: In state sources for lead  (Read 3427 times)

Kilroy08

In state sources for lead
« on: May 30, 2012, 09:22:30 PM »
The reloading bug bit me a couple of months back. To make it more affordable, I would like to start casting my own bullets.

Does anybody know of any good in state sources for lead? So far all the salvage yards and tire shops have shot me down.

It's getting to the point where the line is starting to blur. Am I reloading so I can shoot, or shooting so I can reload?

I think the next stop is that sheet of heavy plate steel I have and making a bullet trap.

Bmel17

Re: In state sources for lead
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 10:14:09 AM »
I don't cast my own bullets and still find buying components much, much cheaper than buying rounds.  I've thought about casting bullets myself for the extra savings.

Capnball

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 01:40:41 PM »
Finding good sources of lead locally can be a challenge. Since I cast for muzzleloading projectiles I have to use pure lead. Lead wheel weights are getting difficult to find as many auto-shops have gone to a lead free alternative but some places are still using them. You may be able to use the wheel weights because they usually do contain some antimony if your are casting for modern pistol bullets. I can't use them for round ball in my front loaders because of the antimony. The other way is to go to gun shows and sometimes you will find someone with ingots for sale. They usually go quickly. Befriending a local commercial bullet caster would also be a good idea they can help you find sources but beware they're not likely going to sell you their stock before they turn it into bullets.  ;D

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 02:54:58 PM »
Glad I read this post.  Since my latest acquisition (.44 cap & ball) I am most interested in casting my own round shot.  Since round shot on the market cost close to 9mm ammo it just makes sense to cast my own.
Proud resident of Kent County DE