Author Topic: My permit says nothing about a gun.  (Read 5440 times)

Johnnyboy

My permit says nothing about a gun.
« on: November 24, 2011, 04:44:46 PM »
My permit says nothing about a firearm. It says "deadly weapon" Without sounding like an genius... What does that mean? Are there parameters here? Any other CCW I've ever had says Firearm on it.
I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop.

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: My permit says nothing about a gun.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 01:54:34 AM »
Per http://delcode.delaware.gov/title11/c002/index.shtml

"Deadly weapon" includes a "firearm", as defined in paragraph (12) of this section, a bomb, a knife of any sort (other than an ordinary pocketknife carried in a closed position), switchblade knife, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, metal knuckles, slingshot, razor, bicycle chain or ice pick or any "dangerous instrument", as defined in paragraph (4) of this section, which is used, or attempted to be used, to cause death or serious physical injury. For the purpose of this definition, an ordinary pocketknife shall be a folding knife having a blade not more than 3 inches in length.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Johnnyboy

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 01:06:20 PM »
Thanks Moosie!

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 02:01:13 PM »
So I can conceal carry a bomb.
Cooooolllll..........
;)
New Castle County

Johnnyboy

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 04:50:23 PM »
Sounds crazy.....  Brass knuckles too..

MarinoTactical

• www.marinotactical.com
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 11:45:37 PM »
I'll throw out my opinion on this one from the law enforcement side. The definition of deadly weapon as stated above is mostly used to define what a "person prohibited" cannot possess, or for an aggravating charge against a defendant, when one of those items is used during a felony. It is not a guide to what a CCDW holder can carry. Some of the things mentioned in the definition are specifically outlawed either by DE or Federal statutes such as bombs and switchblades, and carrying them, even with a valid CCDW could result in arrest. Likewise, any item not mentioned in that section that is illegal to possess would still be illegal even with a CCDW, such as sawed off shotguns, silencers, full autos, poison darts, tanks, landmines etc
My opinion is that any legal deadly weapon that has self-defense value, should be ok. Aside from handguns, I would be comfortable carrying knives over 3", asp batons, and if I'm really feeling old school, a blackjack. 
That being said, how badass would it be if the dirtbag demands your wallet and sees you pull out a pineapple grenade!
Marino Tactical Training, Inc.
Certified Instructors for
National Rifle Association
Glock Certified Armorer and Professional Instructor
Utah BCI
Delaware Council on Police Training(COPT)
marinotactical@gmail.com
302-542-3755
www.trainforthefight.com

Johnnyboy

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 01:27:47 AM »
Thanks MarinoTactical!  Though I didn't know..It sounded a little crazy to me...

czer

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 09:44:40 PM »
Which brings up the topic that no one ever seems to bring up - carrying a fixed blade knife over 3"...Does anyone carry a hunting length knife and rely on it for their concealed carry either with or instead of, a firearm?

rusirius

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 04:20:56 PM »
Which brings up the topic that no one ever seems to bring up - carrying a fixed blade knife over 3"...Does anyone carry a hunting length knife and rely on it for their concealed carry either with or instead of, a firearm?

Note it's a KNIFE over 3", not FIXED blade knife over 3".  I have a Smith & Wesson S.W.A.T. assisted opening knife that has a blade of just over 3 1/4".  Technically speaking before my CCDW permit I couldn't carry that knife.  Usually I'd carry another S&W A/O knife that had a tanto blade that brought it in just under 3" (fraction).

Would I carry a knife INSTEAD of a firearm?  No way... I don't like bringing a knife to a gunfight... ;)

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 01:45:55 AM »
Would I carry a knife INSTEAD of a firearm?  No way... I don't like bringing a knife to a gunfight... ;)

The #1 rule for a gun fight is BRING A GUN.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County