Author Topic: What is the Delaware definition of "Long Arm" and/or "Rifle and "Handgun"  (Read 3493 times)

MarkB

• Life Member
What is the Delaware definition of "Long Arm" and/or "Rifle and "Handgun" and/or "Pistol"?  I've searched the Delaware Code On-line and haven't been unable to find any definitions.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
I don't know that there is a legislated definition for these in Delaware. Generally the "long gun" is meaning a rifle or shotgun( they can be single shot, semi-automatic, bolt action or pump) designed to be fired from the shoulder. A "handgun" or a "pistol" is generally defined as a gun designed to be held and fired with one hand. A revolver is a pistol with a revolving cylinder type ammo feed. Semi-automatic is usually a magazine feed pistol able to fire multiple rounds of ammo in a short amount of time. There are also Derringers that are designed to fire one or in some cases a few rounds, and designed to be carried in a concealed manor, usually used at close range, as they are not very accurate or powerful  at a distance.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Obleo

• Life Member
I think I see what Mark is looking for.  A long gun is a rifle with a 16" or longer barrel.  If a shoulder stock is affixed then the barrel must be 16" or longer or you are required to register the weapon (with ATF) as a short barrel rifle.

A pistol becomes a short barrel rifle if you attache a shoulder stock.  A pistol can have any length barrel.

Shotguns are a little longer but I can't remember the measurement.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:44:07 PM by Obleo »
Proud resident of Kent County DE

MarkB

• Life Member
Thanks for the answers.

I'm putting together an AR pistol with a 10.5" barrel.  I'll be using a Sig SB15 arm brace on the buffer tube.  The ATF has ruled that the SB15 brace is not a shoulder stock and the pistol with the SB15 attached is still a pistol and is not a SBR (short barrel rifle) that requires the NFA rules and fees.  I just wanted to confirm that this is legal in Delaware.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
I am not a lawyer but I do not believe Delaware has any restrictions on SBR.  Just full auto, supressors and  Short Shotguns.  Of course SBRs would be an NFA weapon under federal law.

In any case what you are describing is a pistol and not an SBR.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 04:46:31 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.