Author Topic: S&W Bodyguard (BG38)  (Read 6176 times)

VintageZodiacs

S&W Bodyguard (BG38)
« on: January 18, 2014, 08:34:07 PM »
Does anyone have one of these? I just picked up a used one for $350 in good shape. The laser works too. The previous owner had put some Taurus grips on here. I had read of others doing this as the are larger and easier to hold onto.

The thing that made me buy it is that is designed to shoot +P and, most importantly, loaded is only weights 18 ounces.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Re: S&W Bodyguard (BG38)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 12:14:05 AM »
I have shot one and it was ok, my big thing about those snubbies is they only hold 5 rounds and there are often "too many a** holes and too few bullets"

Sounds like a good price though.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 05:05:57 AM »
I love revolvers. :) I've shot one of these and though it shot well I found it too light for my preference. I prefer full Stainless and some weight on revolvers. Nothing wrong with it really but just not my cup of tea. At $350 you cant complain though and the built in laser is a nice touch.

I'd rather carry my SP101 (bobbed) with a bit extra weight 1Lbs 9.0oz (25.oz) unloaded and more control. I added the Hogue grips to this. Shoot the strongest 357mag load you want or the lightest 38spl. GunBroker lucky special at $355 one day.

Have you shot it yet? This is what matters  ;)

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 06:50:23 AM »
The nickle plated Model 36 is one I've been looking at for sometime. I really like the look of the older S&W revolvers. Not so much the newer ones.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 09:36:16 AM »
Shoot me (no stop.. wait) a photo of it sometime :) .. sorry its the coffee...

IT myself.. I'm helping a buddy back home in Canada investigate and resolve a security breach in one of his clients servers at a lab. He remotely maintains and updates Linux servers, though for whatever reason security for this client was looked after internally. I'd say that's about to change.

Seems the resident in-house IT genius had been pulling lab data from a database on their internal development server then replacing it with faulty data. Knowing a number of senior admins at most of the larger providers up there makes it rather easy to trace this back to the genius. A phone call and about 3 minutes had confirmed his personal account and home IP address. As of about 8 hours ago they no longer have an in-house IT genius and Police had been notified. I know nothing more on that end.

Since then we've been attempting to restore the faulty data. Able to trace the dates and times of the occurrences easily enough at this point. Looks possible but its requiring many restore points going back almost 3 weeks using a separate server for now then their lab staff having to manually confirm all the data. I'm told that's going to take somewhat longer. It's literally all numbers and it looks to me like he was screwing with their data and likely selling or going to sell the correct data to someone else, though I'm just speculating on that. I have no idea what they were working on.

I haven't had this much coffee in some time though....  ;D

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 01:46:08 PM »
I bought one several years ago. Pro: Small. lightweight, w/+P has a good punch, easily concealed, hammerless so nothing to snag on clothing.  No safety to remember, always on a live round(at least 5 times).   Con: Hammerless, so the trigger pull is a bit hard-about 7-8lbs, yes it is only 5 shots, but At my age, if the fight lasts past that, one of us is dead, bad guys rarely stick around when confronted with another gun. 

As much as i enjoy shooting, this is not fun to shoot w/+P loads, it hurts.  But I still carry this more than any of the other 10-12 handguns I have.

Recently bought the wife a Ruger LCR .22mag.  Same design, but the trigger is listed at 14-18lbs(my gauge only goes to 12.  Wife has a hard time shooting it accurately, hates semi autos.  Trigger is a cam gadget and apparently not adjustable.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 10:21:49 PM »
I usually shoot .38spc at the range.  Targetmaster does not allow all lead bullets so wadcutters are usually a no-no.

Often, I don't even notice I have it on, unless my elbow touches it.  Pocket holster works nicely for dressier occasions.  I can't wear inside the pants holsters, nothing to hold pants up.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith