State News & Gun News > NRA & National Gun News

Outrageous Police Behavior

<< < (3/3)

fdegree:

--- Quote from: Clarence on November 17, 2014, 12:31:06 AM ---Most police are honest and take serious the idea of "protect and serve".  I would never vilify such officers. 
--- End quote ---
I suspected that would likely be your position on this topic  ;)  and I agree

I'm going to go off on a slight tangent to the topic of this thread, and address the idea of that "Protect and Serve" slogan that the police tend to use so much.  Many court cases have said the police are not here to "Protect and Serve".  For example:
•   Warren v. District of Columbia, 1981  --  D.C.’s highest court said that it is a “fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen.”

•   Bowers v. DeVito, 1982  --  the Court of Appeals, "...there is no Constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen."  The Constitution … does not require the federal government or the state to provide services, even so elementary a service as maintaining law and order.

•   Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 2005  --  The Supreme Court ruled that the police did not have a constitutional duty to protect a person from harm, even a woman who had obtained a court-issued protective order against a violent husband making an arrest mandatory for a violation.

None of this likely to be news to most of you...just thought I would throw it out there.

demark04:
They knew he had registered pistols, so when my brother opened the gun safe, they took everything. They did not even leave my mom a list of what was taken. Luckily, I knew every weapon he owned. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version