Author Topic: I must have a derringer!  (Read 5824 times)

Obleo

• Life Member
I must have a derringer!
« on: September 21, 2013, 10:33:46 PM »
I'm curious as to whether any of the members carry (or think about carrying) a derringer.  They may have been the first real concealed carry firearm.

Just the same:  I have to have one!
Proud resident of Kent County DE

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Re: I must have a derringer!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 12:28:31 AM »
Most derringers were of small caliber and only accurate at close range.  There are a few more modern versions available today like the Bond Arms Hand Cannon, and the Doubletap Pocket Pistol.
Anyone know of any others they'd recommend?
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 12:41:10 AM »
I have one of the NAA .22Mag 5-shot with a .22LR cylinder for it as well. It's 100% gut gun! I'm on paper (8x11) at 5yards but its all over the paper. Sill, its a fun little gun that does take practice to use properly.

I wanted a derringer at first but went with the NAA instead due to its size, weight, 5-rounds, easy of cleaning and price at the time.

I still want a derringer and I'd likely order a Bond Arms Snake Slayer in .357Mag/.38SPL when the time comes. These are larger then the old west style derringers. Kinda wish it could be chambered in .454 Casull though. :)

I'd say its #4 on my handgun list preceded by a Ruger LCP, SR1911CMD & SR1911.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 07:00:34 AM »
I don't have one and unless I find one and decide to collect firearms...  I mean collect as in antiques or display LOL..   I can't see me purchasing one. I never plan on "pulling" my ccw unless I need to use it in which case I dont want to trust my life to something of that caliber. Just my own preference.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 01:10:33 PM »
I really like them as a novelty, but as Moosie said, wouldn't CCW with it. I'll leave that to a Glock, HK or my old Sig. Really like the double tap.
Enjoying watching the old guns on AMC's "Hell on Wheels". Just saw a derringer last week. Now I want a pepperbox also!! :)
New Castle County

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 12:23:37 PM »
The TV show Gun Stories has a nice piece on the Derringer a few weeks back.
I know they do a lot of reruns so you may be able to watch it. It is on Wednesday nights on the Outdoor Channel.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 03:09:14 AM »
I'll see if I can catch it. 

Thanks, Seniorgeek!

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 07:56:40 AM »
Don't know how long the original was but a great short (3 minutes) here

On Gun Stories: The Deringer Pistol
http://www.downrange.tv/blog/on-gun-stories-the-deringer-pistol/24438/

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 06:42:39 PM »
Don't know how long the original was but a great short (3 minutes) here

On Gun Stories: The Deringer Pistol
http://www.downrange.tv/blog/on-gun-stories-the-deringer-pistol/24438/

Thanks Adrenolin. A nice intro.  I'll have to see the rest on Gun Stories.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 02:06:52 AM »
I think they are neat. I would consider one, but it would be a second back up. My main backup is my .380 and my main carry is my colt 1911.

3 guns might be overkill though.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 04:58:44 AM »
The small NAA .22Mag is certainly not something I'd want to have as my sole firearm in a shootout. If out for an evenings walk or run, where chances are greater for a physical up close encounter, don't discount it! For starters its solid stainless steel. Used properly in the hand it could have devastating effects on the attacker via gouging, punching, scraping, etc in close proximity to the face, hands and and other locations. At the same time shots could be fired when permitted.

Its small enough you could carry it securely in your hand as you walk/run from dusk to dawn and not be noticed. Disappears in pant or short pockets.

"Yes officer he jumped out and grabbed me then took off running as I beat him with my firearm. Btw his face is badly bruised, scratched & cut up from the front sight being slammed and ripped across his flesh."  ;D Really! I think you'd both have to have a chuckle at that.