Author Topic: Any one know of rejection just because?  (Read 2482 times)

greymas

Any one know of rejection just because?
« on: September 23, 2016, 03:21:36 AM »
Does any know of any rejections just because the reason for applying wasn't good enough? I hear some "may issue" states such as MD make you justify your reason for wanting to carry. I haven't heard of that in Delaware. I know the state doesn't provide numbers.

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
Re: Any one know of rejection just because?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 01:29:23 PM »
May issue in Delaware means that weather or not a CCDW permit is issued is up to the judge who is reviewing the application.  Typically the reason for a rejection is better than "just because" as that would be tantamount to an abuse of judicial discretion and subject to a reversal of the decision.  When I was with the AG's office, the most common reasons for rejection were persons having really bad driving records (multiple rather serious moving violations such as reckless driving, aggressive driving, inattentive driving, etc.), they have prior adjudications of juvenile delinquency, or they have prior non-violent misdemeanor convictions, or prior DUI convictions (first and or second offense).  Pardoned felonies can also be an issue.  For the most part any of the foregoing criteria would be an indication to the reviewing judge that the applicant tends to exercise poor judgment and it may not be a great idea to have them strolling around with a concealed weapon.

In regard to the "reason for applying", most will tell you that simply stating for protection of self, family and property will suffice. 

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 02:59:25 PM »
Does any know of any rejections just because the reason for applying wasn't good enough? I hear some "may issue" states such as MD make you justify your reason for wanting to carry. I haven't heard of that in Delaware. I know the state doesn't provide numbers.

You are correct about Maryland. They require a "Good and Substantial" reason and apparently protecting your life isn't good enough. It's crazy...

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 10:38:45 PM »
You pretty much have to have been shot and wounded and have the attacker threaten your life to get a CCW permit in MD.
I do not know one person in MD. that has a CCW permit and I grew up there and am in my 70's. Not counting former police.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun