Author Topic: Shaking my head  (Read 5721 times)

FreakShow

• Life Member
Shaking my head
« on: September 21, 2016, 07:39:59 PM »
I'm sure i've mentioned i work in prison a few times. Was just up in the nursing station and they were talking about someone who escaped off work crew. they asked me what i would do if i saw him out on the street. i said call the police. they said, but you own a gun now, i said so, not just gonna shoot someone. but if someone invaded my house, thats different. one girl said what if it was just some mentally ill guy and decides to walk in your house by mistake, well, i'd ask him what he's doing and call the police..they said what if someone was stealing something. it depends on what, but if i catch them and the tables turn then that's different, if they come after me he's getting shot...one girl said you cant just shoot people, that's just wrong to do....i just shook my head. she got mad when another nurse said if someone came in her house she'd shoot him..the other girl again said, you can't just shoot people for coming in your house or on your lawn.
I got the fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell

NRA Member

He123321

Re: Shaking my head
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 08:37:39 PM »
Some folks will never get it, and you can try to explain it to them in so many ways. In their world, using a gun to protect ones home is just unthinkable.
I'm a great individual to meet...

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 11:14:00 PM »
On your lawn, no, but in your house, OH Hell Yes!
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Sinker

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 11:55:13 AM »
I generally try to avoid those types of conversations, or at least don't give away too much.  "It's hard to say what I'd do in that situation" or something similar.  No need to have extra info out there that could be used against me should I ever actually have to use deadly force.  "Remember that time he said...(whatever)"  I've actually heard people brag about having a few un-registered firearms!   Very few of my coworkers know I have a CCW permit, and none of them know how many firearms I own.   

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 12:30:57 PM »
I've actually heard people brag about having a few un-registered firearms!    
Interesting.  They probably also think that they're badasses because they put lawn clippings in the regular trash.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 12:51:12 PM »
All my firearms are unregistered.

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 12:51:21 PM »
I generally try to avoid those types of conversations, or at least don't give away too much.
I do whatever I can to avoid such conversations -- even to the point of, if they don't directly involve me, I'll just walk away.  In my opinion, to say that "very little" good can come out of such conversations is to mistakenly believe that "any" good can come from them.  And, depending on the situation, I'd even be willing to lie about having anything.  There are just some people who, if armed with that knowledge, would be dangerous.  The truth is that, for many people that I know -- they probably already have a preconceived notion about me.  Being a vegan, and an animal rights supporter, many people believe that I am a "peace, love, dope" kind of person.  And that's just fine with me -- although I did just throw up a little in my mouth at the thought...
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 12:54:38 PM »
I generally try to avoid those types of conversations, or at least don't give away too much.  "It's hard to say what I'd do in that situation" or something similar.  No need to have extra info out there that could be used against me should I ever actually have to use deadly force.  "Remember that time he said...(whatever)"  I've actually heard people brag about having a few un-registered firearms!   Very few of my coworkers know I have a CCW permit, and none of them know how many firearms I own.   

they all know i'm going for mine due to an incident i had from the prison. a recently released inmate tried to pull me over on my bike then followed me to my mothers house, we exchanged words and not on good terms.

NRA Member

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 12:59:24 PM »
just wanted to say, i know i've been posting a lot, but i'm a talker. i go on a few other forums for guns, but i don't say much there. i frequent this one the most, i guess cause it's a delaware thing.

NRA Member

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 08:49:16 PM »
just wanted to say, i know i've been posting a lot, but i'm a talker. i go on a few other forums for guns, but i don't say much there. i frequent this one the most, i guess cause it's a delaware thing.

No need to stop.  The whole question of resorting to deadly force is lost on most because they think it's a simple issue.  We know that it is extraordinarily complex.  I believe that we CCDW people are less fettered than law enforcement when it comes to discretion.  Nonetheless, it just means that we have more responsibility on our shoulders.  For me, I'm looking forward to lot of fun days and am scared of the day I may need to use deadly force.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

topper

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 11:49:29 PM »

No need to stop.  The whole question of resorting to deadly force is lost on most because they think it's a simple issue.  We know that it is extraordinarily complex.  I believe that we CCDW people are less fettered than law enforcement when it comes to discretion.  Nonetheless, it just means that we have more responsibility on our shoulders.  For me, I'm looking forward to lot of fun days and am scared of the day I may need to use deadly force.

I received my CCDW about 3 weeks ago, and it didn't have the effect on me that I thought it would. Instead of feeling "less vulnerable" like I expected, I feel like I have to be more careful.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…

USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Army National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
NRA Life Time Member
DE CCW
PA CCW

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 01:13:01 AM »
I received my CCDW about 3 weeks ago, and it didn't have the effect on me that I thought it would. Instead of feeling "less vulnerable" like I expected, I feel like I have to be more careful.
Sounds like you are transitioning into Condition Orange (alert mode) and you are aware of the ramifications of carrying and using a deadly weapon. Well done.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 04:43:08 AM »
i'm already preparing myself to carry.. I'm an outspoken person, can talk to anyone in every situation, but sometimes i just don't hold back, rethinking that now.

NRA Member

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 12:40:44 PM »

After more than three years of carrying, I agree.  Your mind shifts to more avoidance of situations. I also noticed this right away. I am very careful not to respond to road crazies and avoid areas that are problematic.

This is the opposite of what the antis think our mindset is.  They believe we are prowling about looking for a chance to use our guns.  Actually for most it is the opposite.

Bringing a gun into the situation drawing, let alone shooting is "gravest extreme " only.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 10:19:23 PM »
i look forward to shooting my gun at the range

NRA Member