Author Topic: Snub Nose anyone?  (Read 6159 times)

Thlax

Snub Nose anyone?
« on: March 10, 2013, 09:57:04 PM »
I am looking at getting a SW 642 for pocket carry. Whether its a quick run somewhere and didn't want to holster the G26, or just wanted something a little lighter. What are peoples thoughts?

I have a 10shot SW .22 I believe the 617 w/ 4'' barrel that is my favorite thing to shoot, but never owned any other revolvers. Looking at getting one just to have a footprint of a revolver in the safe as well.

Thoughts?

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: Snub Nose anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 11:15:43 PM »
My first carry gun was a 642. Great gun. Not exactly fun to shoot for practice, but it's reliable and easy to carry.

I bought a 340PD for my wife: it's a lot lighter, and it fires .357 Magnum. Also a great gun, but painful to shoot even with .38 rounds.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Thlax

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 12:11:11 AM »
I mean I am perfect with my G26 for CCW. I think I was drooling over a snub nose because I would get more use out of it by carrying it often (use as in touch time, not discharging firearm)

Or would it be worth getting a full size in a caliber instead to satisfy my revolver crave? If so, what? Maybe a k frame SW 686?

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 01:44:33 AM »
Doesn't the 642 only fire .38spl? Why not choose a .357mag instead and have the choice of the larger round as well? I have a Ruger SP101 .357mag which can usually be picked up for 350-400. It's a sweet stubby and is (arguably) one of the strongest and most durable ever made. Let me know if you'd like to test it out sometime.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 01:18:06 PM »
Good post!  I saw a friend’s 5-shot 38 cal revolver that seemed perfect for carry.  The make was Taurus but it was a solid build.  The 2 inch snub was designed well.  The owner said that the reliability was everything.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 04:05:52 PM »
I have the 642 as well. I would suggest getting wad cutters for practice because full loads are not that fun to shoot out of a short barrel.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Thlax

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 04:38:05 PM »
I think 38 is plenty out of a snub and I would never shoot 357 out of it. I know having the option to do so is better but I would never....and due to a price increase between the two I would probably stay with the 642

anjdrifter

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 05:36:47 PM »
The snub  nose  is a nice little carry.. I carried a lightweight smith and or a Charter arms undercover .. which I still do on occasion ..as far as a 357  model I had one for awhile (dept issue) and the there is an weight and size difference...the new snubs are all capable of using plus p rounds ...not a constant diet is reccommneded...
Sussex county, NRA certified instructor -pistol-rifle- shotgun ,doj approved instructor

whatevah

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 05:39:05 PM »
I think the 642 is .357 since my 442 was a .38 version.  Easy to conceal but hurt to shoot. Stiff trigger and tiny grip equals poor accuracy. I was happy with 8" groups at 7 yards.  Recently replaced it with a Walther PPS. Harder to conceal but more power (.40) and capacity.

I might pick one up again in the future though. Hard to beat once you understand that it's really a belly gun.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 06:40:51 PM »
The 642 is a .38... that's why I bought the 340PD, because it's a .357 Magnum.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 08:18:21 PM »
Ok just verified for myself the 642 is .38spl. Nothing against .38spl but I'd take .357 over it any day. True, you can fire .38spl all day, and into tomorrow, from a stubby however I've no issues at all shooting 50-100 rounds of .357mag from it either. You'd be surprised how easily the SP101 handles the mag round. Now the hard cast Buffalo Bore rounds are nothing short of brutal! After 5 of those id had enough.

I have the model 5720 with the bobbed hammer so its DAO which is fine by me. It's a great primary, backup, woods gun that due to its bobbed hammer is snag free, quick pulling and very easy maintenance wise being Stainless.

No pressure, just pointing out an often found great gun that's typically under 400.00 that can be passed down and has the duel caliber option. Let me know and I'll even supply a few BBs for you to crack a wrist with lol. : )

Thlax

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 12:17:12 AM »
Ok just verified for myself the 642 is .38spl. Nothing against .38spl but I'd take .357 over it any day. True, you can fire .38spl all day, and into tomorrow, from a stubby however I've no issues at all shooting 50-100 rounds of .357mag from it either. You'd be surprised how easily the SP101 handles the mag round. Now the hard cast Buffalo Bore rounds are nothing short of brutal! After 5 of those id had enough.

I have the model 5720 with the bobbed hammer so its DAO which is fine by me. It's a great primary, backup, woods gun that due to its bobbed hammer is snag free, quick pulling and very easy maintenance wise being Stainless.

No pressure, just pointing out an often found great gun that's typically under 400.00 that can be passed down and has the duel caliber option. Let me know and I'll even supply a few BBs for you to crack a wrist with lol. : )

Sounds good. We will meet up at the range. You can try the DDM4 or have fun with the PPQ. Did you ever end up getting a PPQ?

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 04:41:25 AM »
Talking to a guy now with a PPQ. Might buy it if he knocks off another 50 bucks. : ) I'd like to have 2 more PPQs but 1 more will be fine for now. Plan on another PPS later this year also as the wife has decided she likes mine. Meeting up with a guy later this week to look at his Walther P5 9mm to. Walther keeps biting me!

I'd love to try out the DDM4. I'll bring some ammo and .22 for a CMMG conversion I have along with my DoubleStar and the SP101. Really, .357mag is very manageable and I've been told many people find the +p .38spl rounds kick more. Give me a shout sometime this week or weekend and you can see for yourself.