Author Topic: Vacation in AZ and UT next spring, what do I need to know about carrying there?  (Read 4668 times)

Wickedrex

Hey, got a few question for you all.  Next spring the wife and I are planning a trip to the South west and I know that Arizona and Utah share reciprocity with Delaware.  We are planning on doing a rental car tour of as much as we can in AZ such as the Grand Canyon, Sedona park, Saguaro park, Tucson, Tombstone, Phoenix, etc. and possibly a jont into UT to Bryce and Zion.   One of those days in AZ we will be renting a Harley :)!   I would like to carry especially since I think everyone carries in AZ.  Couple of questions though....  We are actually planning on flying into Las Vegas because it is roughly $500 cheaper for both of us vs. flying into Phoenix or Tucson.  First, how is the best way to transport via airline a pistol, two mags and ammo?  Should it be in checked baggage but in a good lock box or as seperate checked baggage?  Any restriction as far as ammo amount?  I was just gonna bring enough ammo for the two mags but wouldn't mind having a few extra rounds.  Also being that Nevada does not share reciprocity with DE, how would be the best way to transport the firearm to AZ?  I'd imagine no different then say if i was carrying in DE and had to drive to MD but just wanna run it by you guys.  I do have a gun vault nano I was gonna bring.  Lastly, do you guys think it is a good idea to begin with?  I think I am over thinking this but I just don't want my gun to get confiscated or stolen through the airport and I definitely don't want to having any troubles with the law while on the road especially in Nevada.  I mean this is supposed to be a vacation!  Thanks in advance guys and gals.
--Jay--

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Print out the rules of transporting a firearm from both the airlines website, and the TSA. Carry the printouts with you, in case the ticketer is unaware. I flew Southwest to FL. I had the slide locked to the rear, mag out, and placed the cable lock through the gun. Placed this locked gun and two loaded mags in a lockbox. I declared I had packed a "unloaded, locked firearm", being careful to not use the words "I have a gun". She asked to see it, and I moved the lockbox to the top of the suitcase, but still inside. I opened it so that she could see it, but not people behind me. We filled out a tag which went in the lockbox, and that was it. Flying is not generally a problem if you follow the rules. Please read the rules, as they've probably changed since I last did this. I don't remember if there is an ammo limit.
New Castle County

Wickedrex

Of course I go to the TSA's website and the section of firearms and ammunition keeps giving me the error 404 message!  When they say side locked hard sided case, are they referring to like a KYB or Osprey case or would a small gun safe like my gun vault nano be sufficient?  And when you said they asked to see it, it was the ticket/ baggage agent that saw it and filled out the tag for it?  And I guess at that point, you locked it back up and sent it in its way to your destination?
--Jay--

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Thanks for reminding me why I prefer to drive... everywhere.

"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
I used a small keyed gun vault nano. Yes to the ticket agent, and it went on its way.

Enjoy your trip OldGray. Please post some more photos!
New Castle County

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
AMMO in ORIGINAL boxes.  If you reload, YOU ARE the manufacturer. If reloads, detail info on the the boxes.
Guy I teach with flew to UT.  Said it was interesting.  Just before declaring the firearm you see people unholster and unloading right there.

For UT, this will help: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/index.html
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Wickedrex

Oooh! Alaska is our next trip!   Have fun up there and be safe!

So from what I gather, just pack my gun and empty mags in my gun vault nano inside my checked bag.  Be sure to declare to the ticket agent that I'm transporting a unloaded and locked up firearm in my luggage and they will ask to see it.  Then they will allow me to re-lock up the nano, tag it and then re-pack it away in the checked bag.  Should the box of ammo be packed in the safe as well?  I'm not sure I can fit the original box of of Federal HST .45 autos, 2 mags and my Glock 30 all in the little Nano that I have.  I may have to invest in something slightly larger.  Or I guess I can look for a smaller box (box of 20rds) of ammo.

Now has anyone done much traveling to or through the Delaware permit friendly states?  Is there any precautions I should take or any worries with that?  And I'd image while arriving and driving out of Nevada, I should probably keep the nano locked up in my bag in the trunk but maybe pull the ammo out and put it in the front of the car preferably locked in the glove box until I hit the AZ border?  Sound like a pretty safe idea?

Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just new to traveling with a gun and the whole interstate carrying thing.  Thanks for all of your help and patience with this.
--Jay--

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
As far as ammo, TSA states:
Ammunition - Check with your airline or travel agent to see if ammunition is permitted in checked baggage on the airline you are flying. Small arms ammunitions for personal use must be securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. Ask about limitations or fees, if any, that apply. Read our Firearms & Ammunition section.   

But you are right, the link to "firearms and ammo section" is a dead link.
Check your airlines website further info.
New Castle County

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Oooh! Alaska is our next trip!   Have fun up there and be safe!

We already drove up there -- from Delaware. Ten days to Anchorage. After that, we would almost drive to Tucson for lunch...
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
We already drove up there -- from Delaware.

Been there, done that....20 years ago. ;D

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County