Author Topic: Moved here from PA, is there any hope for Shall issue?  (Read 2683 times)

John75

Moved here from PA, is there any hope for Shall issue?
« on: March 03, 2012, 10:00:38 PM »
I recently moved to DE from PA.  Unfortunately I can't get a CCW license here since I'm new and don't have any references where I live.  What a ridiculous requirement.  Anyway, I'm wondering is there any hope of changing the gun laws here?  I don't know the politics here but having been active with PA's Castle Doctrine law, I know it can happen.  Are there pro gun legislators who could push for change?

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Re: Moved here from PA, is there any hope for Shall issue?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 11:06:31 PM »
Changing the laws here?  You have 2 chances. Slim and none. That's the "Delaware Way" you may have heard of. This is a liberal Democrat State that is anti-gun to start with. We're just lucky to be able to have a "may issue" law, let alone a "shall issue" law.
 Sorry to burst your bubble.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 12:08:23 AM »
They tried to reform the laws about five years ago, but anti-gunners hung so many amendments on the bill that the sponsors and the NRA walked away.

The amendments would have required annual re-training, greatly restricted carry in dozens of locations, and generally made our lives Hell.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

TJM1979

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 12:20:36 PM »
Even pennsylvania requires you to list references on their application for a resident.  I grew up in DE but moved to PA for several years.  I got my FL permit so I could carry into DE as well.  The DE paperwork is a pain with the newspaper article requirment and requires a 3 more references.  Seems to be a money making scheme just like everything else in this stae. 

I too wish we were shall issue, but growing up in DE I can tell you that will likely never happen.  I recently moved back to DE and have fairly long term references to use.  I would say wait until you have a few people you know somewhat well and ask if they are ok with being a reference.  If you have a permit from PA or other states, that could help.  Good luck.

John75

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 11:49:27 PM »
PA references don't have to be in your county though.  They can be in nearby states.  At least where I applied that was the case so there wasn't a problem.  And they typically don't check them from what I've heard.  All of it is pointless and unconstitutional.  Just roadblocks meant to dissuade people.  Slowly the battles seem to be getting won though.  Just today there was the ruling against MD's rules.  We'll see what comes of it.