Author Topic: How long does getting CCW take?  (Read 22658 times)

Spartacus

How long does getting CCW take?
« on: April 16, 2010, 04:38:20 PM »
So how long will getthing my CCW take? I hear 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, and a year.

BTW season Finale of spartacus tonight. Watch it on starz

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: How long does getting CCW take?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 05:37:04 PM »
Hi Spartacus,

I'm assuming you're referring to how long will it take once you submit your paper work?  If so, anywhere from 3 to 6 months if in New Castle County.  Kent and Sussex Counties seem to be slightly quicker. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Spartacus

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 07:54:58 PM »
Yeah.  I will be submitting my paperwork with completed weapons class certificate Monday (Got to wait the 10 days from when the classified ran in the paper)
Its a shame the process takes so long.  Anything could happen in the mean time.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 12:07:36 AM »
6 months if your lucky  >:(
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Ravensfootball56

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 12:56:44 AM »
I was told 6 Months, when i submitted mine in March in Sussex County...The lady told me she still had apps from October that had not made it thru yet...that was on March 24th I believe
BS

Knotacare

• NRA Endowment Member VFW Life Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 02:31:52 PM »
I sent all the paper work in on 11-23-09 &  my check cleared 11-30-09 . I also completed the training before I applied.  Just heard from the AG's office yesterday on a letter dated 4-6-10 that the background check was approved & the paper work sent to the court. So I would guess at leat 6 monthe now.
Alan

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 06:30:49 PM »
Shouldnt be much longer.

Spartacus

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 09:33:48 PM »
Everything including class submitted 04/19/10 paid in cash in Kent County. I've had about 4 Background checks like this done in the past 5 years.  I'll let you all know more when I know more.  This wait is going to suck.

ezliving

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 05:23:18 AM »
I really don't understand why it takes DE 6 months to issue a CCW permit.  Florida used to take 3 months and now they are getting it done in 3 weeks.  VA takes a month.  PA issues on the same day as application.

The only state that apparently takes longer than DE, I think, is MD.  Hell will freeze over before MD issues a CCW (special exceptions for politically connected applicants.)

Gotta love AZ, VT and AK with their Constitutional Carry laws.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 07:41:47 PM »
I can only speak for NCCo.  They have one (maybe two) people processing applications... and it's secondary to their regular work load. 

Then, it has to go to the court side of things (read AG's office) which takes another lifetime. 

That is why they recently went to the longer renewal period. Hopefully it will ease up on the amount of paperwork coming across the desks of these poor folks!

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

ezliving

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 07:54:59 AM »
It seems to me that the cumbersome application and approval process for CCW permits is the challenge in DE, not the number of applications. 

The examples I gave of FL, PA and VA for comparison each process exponentially more applications than DE in a much shorter period of time.

For example, in the year ending June 30, 2010, Florida issued 136,624 new CCW Permits and 67,609 CCW renewals; total 204,233 Permits.  Turn around time for a FL CCW permit is currently about 3 weeks.

The total number of issued FL CCW permits is greater than the entire adult population of Delaware.   Does it take 6 months to get a DE drivers license?

Delaware is just not getting the job done with CCW permits.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 07:56:58 AM by ezliving »

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 11:22:09 AM »
I have the impression that part of the wait may be related to the timing of the application.

By law, all DE CCDW permits expire in May 31st. There is a rush of renewals each year, which they need to process by then.
They did a remarkably quick job -- 64 days -- processing my application, which I filed May 22nd 2005.

I think the Court may choose to delay action on applications filed in the fall and winter, waiting until spring so that the permit will be issued closer to May 31st.

I have no real evidence to support this, but we're going to test this theory: my wife's application is going in on May 3rd, and a close friend is applying shortly after that. They have both already completed the training requirement, and they are carefully following the same steps I used five years ago. Both applications will be submitted in person at the Prothonotary's office.
I will start a thread when my wife's application is delivered, and update it with the progress (or lack thereof) of both applications.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 06:33:03 PM »
Many things don't get done in DE in a timely manner.  DE is very slowly but surely coming up to speed on things like now you can pay traffic tickets online... but yet they still fall WAYYYY behind in SO many other areas (too numerous to list here) that I think CCW is just one of them.  The system still has to rely on people to make it function.  The bottom line is there isnt a division or group that just sits there and processes applications all day.  Do the other states you mentioned have that?? 

I also think that since DE is a "may" issue state and the others (I *THINK*) are "Shall" issue states, it really takes a huge chuck of time out of the process.  ??

Moosie

Spartacus

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 11:50:45 PM »
Yeah I have to agree with Moosie, its cause we are a Shall issue state, not to mention all the cuts to the state budget, the hiring freeze.  My father got his CCW 3 weeks after he applied 2 years ago.  To many things working against the process to make it efficient

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 12:45:10 PM »
Delaware is a MAY issue state, Not a SHALL issue state. ;)