Author Topic: Do you carry were you're allowed by law but asked not to?  (Read 19955 times)

Grebnehtor

Do you carry were you're allowed by law but asked not to?
« on: April 25, 2010, 03:13:33 PM »
By this I'm referring to places like the Christiana Mall or Regal Movie Theatre. I know these places have signs posted usually (the malls is hidden rather well), but I'm curious if anyone still carries there anyway.  I know all they can do is ask you to leave, but I still wouldn't want to be asked to leave.  I've never had a problem at either place, but both can be equally covered in thug life at times. 

Spartacus

Re: Do you carry were you're allowed by law but asked not to?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 04:25:50 PM »
Don't have a permit yet but when I get it I won't carry there or I'll avoid the place all together.

siearly

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 07:09:22 PM »
If you carry concealed like you're supposed to, "they" don't know.  That's my take anyway.  I have not been to Christiana mall since the 80s so what do I know.
======
Steve

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 09:12:08 PM »
The signs don't have "force of law." They could ask you to leave, but -- if you left promptly and politely -- you would not face criminal charges. It's not your responsibility to read every tiny notice on the door of every business you enter.

However, permit holders should probably respect any request not to carry, even if not strictly required by law. There was a case last year (or in 2008? I forget) where a guy carried openly in a New Castle County park. Mothers in the park with children asked him to leave. He refused. The police came, and they told the mothers that he wasn't breaking the law.
If he was trying to educate the public, he succeeded in the worst way: there was a push to ban guns in county parks.

Let's not educate the public in the worst way.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 10:18:26 AM by oldgraygeek »
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 09:42:22 PM »
The signs do not carry any weight in DE.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 10:02:40 PM »
If those places feel the need to have police officers on duty, they are telling us that it is not safe there.....so hell yes I carry
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 11:43:55 PM »
Ok, perhaps my paranoia is setting in here reading the various posts of who carries, who doesnt etc.

Keep in mind this is a public forum and anyone wanting to make an example out of the next person "caught" at the mall (or even suspected) has several new reasons to make the signs bigger, etc. My experience has been that if they are not already of the mind set that carrying at that verboten place (Christiana Mall) is a great idea, then they are on the Sarah Freaking Brady wagon and think guns are the worst invention ever and should be banned...    you get my drift. 

I'm jus' sayin. 

I would never confirm or deny when I'm carrying or when I'm not (unless of course asked by the proper authorities).  If you can't tell, I'm not answering. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Spartacus

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 11:51:26 PM »
Just because legal actions won't be taken doesn't mean you should carry there, that really makes you the same as the thugs carrying illegally (just my opinion) I try to respect others and businesses, if they ask you not to carry in there establishment, don't carry there otherwise don't go into there establishment.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 11:59:50 PM »
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.....   ;D
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 12:02:49 AM »
Moosie is right of course this is an open forum and everyone can read these post. I will also make this know that two recent member to join the forum are advertising as Law Offices in their profiles just food for thought. As far as where I do and don't carry, I feel that this is something that I prefer to keep to myself as a matter of CYA.  ;)

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 10:21:35 AM »
Keep in mind this is a public forum and anyone wanting to make an example out of the next person "caught" at the mall (or even suspected) has several new reasons to make the signs bigger, etc. My experience has been that if they are not already of the mind set that carrying at that verboten place (Christiana Mall) is a great idea, then they are on the Sarah Freaking Brady wagon and think guns are the worst invention ever and should be banned...    you get my drift. 

Drift gotten. Thanks.  ::) 8)

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 11:54:56 AM »
I feel safe mentioning the mall cuz I rarely go there, last time was before thanksgiving. So for the antis to hold that info and use it against me it will take them a couple years. When it comes to stand alone type retailers that have a sign I do either respect their wishes or not go in.

BTW....is it true their putting a cheesecake factory in the mall?
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 12:21:30 PM »
BTW....is it true their putting a cheesecake factory in the mall?

It's there. My wife says it's great.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 01:40:11 PM »
Mmmmmm.  Beeeer.  Oh.. wait.  Wrong forum.  Yes, The Cheesecake Factory is in and operating!  Check out their menu online before you go...  only because you can sit there all night long just reading all the cheese cake options, let alone the dinner options!! 

Fantastic food, service is good.  Getting better. 

My vote is for the buffalo bite thingy's as an appetizer (3-4 people required IMO).  Then, for dinner avoid their steaks.  Any of their pasta or chicken dinners are great!, and of course for dessert CHEESECAKE!  I love their chocolate chip coconut cheesecake.  But, any of their desserts are fab!

Oh, and before forking out $30 for a full cheesecake, go to Costco and buy the same one for $10.  Yup.  Same thing.. says so on the box!

@@@@ it.  You guys made me hungry. 

Back to my favorite topic...    my point was whether or not you carry when you go to the mall, ANYONE (including feeble minded twits that are anti-gun) can read this forum.  Why give them ammo (no pun intended) to use against us for something that may or may not be occuring.  I'm thinking of things like (and yes.. this would be really far fetched but it has happened in other areas of the country) metal detectors, etc.  I'm not saying you shouldnt carry at the mall, or that I do carry at the mall.  I'm saying we have enough BS to deal with, dont post in a public forum that you're breaking rules with your GUN! 

:)  I am saying be safe and eat at the cheesecake factory! LOL 

Moosie!
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 01:42:05 PM »
No real desire to go to the Cheese Cake Factory, now if it was PF Changs that's another story.