Author Topic: DE Gun Laws proposed...  (Read 9328 times)

Moosie

• Life Member
DE Gun Laws proposed...
« on: February 09, 2011, 08:44:14 PM »
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20110209/NEWS/110209037/New-Del-gun-control-laws-proposed?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

• closing the Loophole at gun shows by requiring background checks on everyone
  • prohibit anyone from carrying a firearm while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • information on mentally ill state residents be sent to the federal instant criminal background check database
  • allows law enforcement officials to dispose of seized firearms currently stored at facilities across the state

So who do we contact to tell them that NONE of these will do anything for keeping guns out of the hands of criminals.... ????   I dont care about the background check at the gun shows. In fact, I think that's a good thing.  As for LE being able to dispose of firearms currently stored, why not sell them and make some cash for the state or for the agencies that are storing them.  My fear is that if there are firearms there which were not used in a crime that belong to a law abiding  citizen, then does that mean they agency can still dispose of them even if they were to be returned to their rightful owner?

We don't need more gun laws, we need the ones we have in place to be enforced against the bad guys!!! 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: DE Gun Laws proposed...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 09:00:04 PM »
I agree, Moosie, but I think "dispose of" means "sell." As for firearms seized in error, I don't know.

I don't have much problem with these laws, but I think they accomplish little or nothing.
That said, I can't think of a single new gun law that would reduce crime, so I guess these ain't so bad...
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
As for disposal of guns. Years ago I seen a pile of guns thrown out from le that were made inoperable. Looked like acid was poured on them. Most of the guns were junk to begin with. I often wondered what happened to the " good" ones  ??? Im not sure what they want to dispose of but I know folks that have had their guns taken away because of  spouses filing bogus claims of abuse and even after found not guilty they still have a hard time getting their guns back. I wouldnt want them to be the ones they need to " dispose" of.

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 11:37:33 PM »
I've never seen any dealer selling any gun, let alone a stripped lower, at any gun show..   This bill is hiding private sales in their somewhere.   He is using gun show Loophole to push it to the sheep.

The nut house communicating to ffl checkers, yes.

Drunk and holding a gun , yes, WRONG!!!.         One beer < no....   So all the cops will have to check their guns at the bar, and return before their shift to claim em?... lol....

Disposing of them, after a set period of time, and they must find out who last owned them.  Cant screw people that had theirs stolen,  The law should be on our side.   And while were on this subject

GIVE JOE HARPER HIS GUN BACK.....
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 12:39:17 AM »
  • closing the Loophole at gun shows by requiring background checks on everyone
  • prohibit anyone from carrying a firearm while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • information on mentally ill state residents be sent to the federal instant criminal background check database
  • allows law enforcement officials to dispose of seized firearms currently stored at facilities across the state

How long before ALL private sales require a check.  If you have a CCDW, State says you can own a gun.  Good enough for me for a private sale.
The 2nd one...  I'm on a baby aspirin in the morning plus 2 for blood pressure.  Does not state what TYPE of drugs.
The 3rd, I though they did this already.

NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Knotacare

• NRA Endowment Member VFW Life Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 12:05:53 PM »
If they just enforced the laws on the books now the new proposed laws are duplicates.  As for the hidden agenda I believe they are putting the screws to private sales. More Big Brother & it's gonna get worse. They fail to address the real problems & continue to harass honest citizens.
Alan

turfmn

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 12:18:44 PM »
closing the Loophole at gun shows by requiring background checks on everyone
This is a ban on private sales. There is no "gunshow Loophole". Delaware residents can make firearms transactions with other Delaware residents without the use of an FFL. This is how people can walk into a gunshow with a firearm they own and sell it to another Delaware individual. There is no special provision or omission concerning gunshows. This is the first step towards gun confiscation.
prohibit anyone from carrying a firearm while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
The wording is actually "possesion". So, your out dove hunting. You have a beer while cleaning up. You put your unloaded shotgun in the trunk and drive home. You get pulled over for 5mph over the speed limit. Officer askes if you have any weapons. Officer asks if you have been drinking. You tell the truth. He askes you to blow and you go to jail for a year. ( A chemical test indicating .08% blood alcohol concentration (BAC) or greater, or the presence of any drug, prescription or illegal, substance is sufficient for a DUI conviction. You may be arrested for DUI with a chemical test greater than .05%) notice the .05.
information on mentally ill state residents be sent to the federal instant criminal background check database
Delaware already reports this to the State Police. So, if you buy a firearm in Delaware and are run through the state system, it will show up if you are considered mentally ill. Unless you have a CCW permit. Of course, you couldn't get a CCW permit if you were determined to be mentally ill.  
allows law enforcement officials to dispose of seized firearms currently stored at facilities across the state
Not sure of what they mean by this. I personally think they should auction them off after a certain amount of time.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 01:06:32 PM »
Gunshow Loophole....most legal gunowners are very careful who they sell their guns to, this will not stop the $100 cobra from being sold on a wilmington street corner for $500 (sorry cobra owners)
disposal of weapons....they will be destroyed not sold.
More info to nics.....surprised they dont already.
Under the influence. This sounds like a common sense law, however, there are some real ways for good owners to get screwed. The hunting scenario is real as is stopping at a resturant after a range trip. More than once I have stopped at hooters after leaving targetmaster and had a beer with lunch. And the scariest to me is exactly how Chief Capriglione put it " Irlf we get called to a bar, for instance, and a patron has a gun, it will be a crime-even if he didnt threaten anyone"
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 02:09:42 PM »
So, who are we contacting to stop Markell in his tracks??? 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 03:42:02 PM »
Let's look at what current gun laws do. Christopher Reeves, a participant in the Officer Spicer murder, had two prior gun offenses. For his first offense a judge told him he is barred from possessing a gun. FIVE DAYS LATER he is committing another gun crime. For this offense absolutely nothing happened because it "fell through the cracks." With two prior gun offenses behind him and essentially no consequences for either he collaborates with Powell and that other guy to commit an armed robbery of a drug dealer at McDonalds. Shots are fired at McDonalds and the following police pursuit results in the death of a police officer. The system’s failure to hold Reeves responsible for his prior gun offenses is complicit in Officer Spicer’s death.

Stacking more gun laws that will not be enforced on top of the existing gun laws that are not being enforced will not solve the problem.

If you really want to fix something fix the series of incompetence that allowed all this to happen.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

turfmn

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »
It's not just possession while under the influence. It's possession while under the influence outside of your residence. I hope you don't like to clean your guns on the back porch while having a beer on a Saturday afternoon. And remember how they define possession. So, if you are under the influence outside of your residence and there are firearms around that you have access to, you are in possession. I guess no more dove shoot charity events.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 05:24:37 PM »
I wonder how the bill defines "under the influence?"

Is it like driving: having greater than 0.08% blood alcohol concentration?
Or, would it be a non-zero BAC?

The same question, with considerably more vague definitions would apply to "drugs."

I took a legally-prescribed generic Ambien last night at bedtime. It's after 1 PM. A blood test would probably detect tiny trace amounts of zolpidem in my system. Under the proposed legislation, could I put on my concealed weapon and drive to the Acme?
Or, if someone had kicked my back door in at 2 AM, would I have had to leave my gun alone because I was "under the influence" at that moment?
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 09:43:02 PM »
This truly worries me, we need to start getting on our representatives about these proposed laws. I so hate Markell.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:47:15 PM by Sigarms12 »
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 10:32:31 PM »
I wonder how the bill defines "under the influence?"

Is it like driving: having greater than 0.08% blood alcohol concentration?
Or, would it be a non-zero BAC?

The same question, with considerably more vague definitions would apply to "drugs."

I took a legally-prescribed generic Ambien last night at bedtime. It's after 1 PM. A blood test would probably detect tiny trace amounts of zolpidem in my system. Under the proposed legislation, could I put on my concealed weapon and drive to the Acme?
Or, if someone had kicked my back door in at 2 AM, would I have had to leave my gun alone because I was "under the influence" at that moment?

Ya know, I was first somewhat allright with the under the influence part.  But after your post, What if   Someone broke in?  Could you ask the intruder that you need  to phone a friend? Think he would let you?   

Lets do like NewHamshire does..  they have the lowest of most crime rates.
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 12:52:38 PM »
So, who are we contacting to stop Markell in his tracks??? 

Moosie

http://delsports.net/

Plus already called my Rep.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.