Author Topic: should i take the class before or after i send my application?  (Read 15812 times)

eclipse

should i take the class before or after i send my application?
« on: February 23, 2011, 01:21:07 PM »
Hi all
I am just getting started and was thinking about taking the class first.  Is there any benefit to this?  Any advise would be appreciated.

g23

Re: should i take the class before or after i send my application?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 02:17:16 PM »
I took mine and sent all of the paper work in at the same time. I figured it would make it go faster but im not sure if it helped. Delaware is so slow with this process  >:( . I have a few friends the waited for a phone call to let them know they past everything before spending the money on the coarse. I think we all know when we apply if we will get denied or not so as long as you feel confident then I say do it now and send it all in together or atleast do it soon enough so when you get the phone call you can tell them you took it and go drop off the paper work then.

aibill

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 10:32:39 PM »
Agree with g23. Can not see any reason to wait to take the course. I think it will save time if all the paper work goes in at one time. Take the course, you will learn a lot ,I think [I did mine anyhow].

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 01:43:25 AM »
Heres my 2¢  turn in all your paperwork and go buy several boxes of ammo. Go to the range once a week for a month. Sign up for and take a class. Space it right and you have almost 2 months down and tgen back to the range once a week u till you get your letter from the prothonatary. If the weather gets warm maybe golf once a week also. Youve got a long wait ahead might as well make the most of it
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

eclipse

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 12:27:44 PM »
Thanks guys
I think I will take it asap and then submitt the application.  Worst case i guess i will learn a lot.  Does anyone have any feedback on how hard it is to get?  If you meet all of the requirements and have a clean background check.  I get them for my work at least once or twice a year so I know I can pass that. 

czer

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 08:45:01 PM »
Oh, its not hard at all, if you like waiting for 3-4 months, although the trend seems to be that the wait time is shortening, from the posts I have seen here...

John

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 11:19:23 PM »
Should I be expecting a phone call??  I thought the permit would just show up in the mail.  I don't check the house phone much,,,,should I??

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 04:46:33 PM »
Heres my 2¢  turn in all your paperwork and go buy several boxes of ammo. Go to the range once a week for a month. Sign up for and take a class. Space it right and you have almost 2 months down and tgen back to the range once a week u till you get your letter from the prothonatary. If the weather gets warm maybe golf once a week also. Youve got a long wait ahead might as well make the most of it

And if its winter book a vacation some place warm.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

eclipse

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 05:54:01 PM »
I am looking into classes now.  Does anyone have any recomendations?

eclipse

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 05:57:18 PM »
Can your refrences be living in the same household or be relatives? 

czer

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 06:26:51 PM »
They cannot be relatives. As for living in the same house I do not know if that is clear. However, if your references are called on the phone, which does happen, and they find that it is the same phone # as yours or the reference lives with you, IMO, they may question it. The references DO need to come from your county of residence. The point is you DO NOT want to raise any red flags.  Even if they eventually rule in your favor, like the reference who lives in the same household, it may delay your approval. The approval process is long and unnecessarily complicated enough that you do not want to do anything that will slow it down any further. I used two sets of husband and wife (equaling 4 references) neighbors and one friend to equal my five references.

I took my class with Dave Johnson, of First State Firearms, 302-834-0333. I think it was $150.00. His training was thorough and he got my certificate quickly, plus I had many questions later, which he was happy to talk about by phone. All your detail questions will be answered during the class, which you should take up front.

eclipse

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 12:00:55 AM »
Sorry, that is what i meant.  Not related to me.  Related to each other.  Sounds like i have the same situation 2 sets of husbands and wives and one other.  Thanks 

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 12:11:16 AM »
IMO, you should use one person PER HOUSEHOLD.  Of course, this is just my opinion.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

eclipse

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 02:43:51 PM »
Better safe than sorry...

eclipse

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 08:34:43 PM »
Does anyone have any advice as far as who offers a good class in NCC