Author Topic: should i take the class before or after i send my application?  (Read 15810 times)

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Re: should i take the class before or after i send my application?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 04:52:07 PM »
Maybe there are some other newbies wanting to revisit this question. I have just recently started "the process" for my CCDW.
I would say ge the course first. I picked up a bunch of info from the instructor. I went to Marino Tactical Solutions in Lincoln, De. and the instructor (Kirk Marino) is a police officer and Army MP, and he has more knowledge that I could ever imagine.
Some of the things you have to do is make sure you can get 5 (reputable) poeple in your county that will do the reference questionaire. They cannot be relatives. Best if they have known you 5 years or more. Make sure you get your ad placed in a approved newspaper legal notices at least 10 days before applying to the Prothonitary Office. You will need an affidavit from the newspaper that the ad ran to go with you application. Get your photos ready. Also a note on pictures. Don't copy your photo on your driver's permit. It has a hologram that makes the picture unclear and is unacceptable. When you fill out the application and fill in the area that ask why you want a CCDW, don't just put "for personal and property protection. It say's "be specific".  Make a good but verifiable story and don't be afraid to use an attached extra page to convey this explaination. This is going to be looked at by a judge and probably they will call your references and you at some point. Be prepaired.

Good Luck
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

koljec

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 02:33:34 AM »
Does anyone have any advice as far as who offers a good class in NCC

Can't speak to the quality of the class because I haven't taken it yet, but I plan to use Delfast, Steve Roberts, my FFL.  He's been very good with some gun purchases, and I expect he will be a good CCW instructor.

Capnball

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 01:38:56 PM »
I took the class and received my certificate prior to making application. I saw a couple of benefits to doing it this way - One is that my instructor gave me some valuable tips on getting the application and process right and covered the "very specific" portion of the application where some folks get delayed having to explain themselves beyond the "for the protection of person, property or both" statement. I know that most don't get delayed for this but, knowing my luck, I would very likely be the exception. Having someone that deals with this all of the time can get help get the tiny details right when you have questions. Although, the people on this forum are also another great resource for that too. I think that turning in your certificate for the course at the time of the application may speed up the process a little. I'm still waiting, so I'll have to rely on hope for that one. Lastly, I figured that even if I get denied for some strange reason, the education alone was well worth the time and money spent. I would encourage anyone thinking about a permit to take the class first, if possible. The class will get you to think seriously about your personal safety and your responsibilities with regards to carrying a firearm for protection. I would imagine that there may be a few who take the class and decide that carrying concealed isn't for them, and that's ok too. Learning and understanding is always a worthwhile endeavor.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 02:54:55 PM »
Don't be afraid to use an extra sheet of paper to better explain your need for a CCDW, as per the instructions for the Application. Just make sure to make copies for for both Appl. copies. Some times people think they can shortcut the paperwork and just stick the minimal in the small blank provided. Not a good idea. Anything worth doing is worth doing right, they say.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

FSFT

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 04:54:23 PM »
I highly recommend that you take the class first.  I have had several students that submitted their paperwork first and spent extra time with subsequent corrections and additional information. The other problem is that although they are much improved in contacting applicants that they have been approved and should proceed to take the class, they are not bound by any time constraints on doing so.
Check us out at www.firststatefirearmstraining.com as well as our post in the training section of this forum under FSFT.

Thanks for listening.

Billythekidd

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 10:46:05 PM »
I have also done a transfer with steve from delfast. Hes a really cool guy and if he is still doing concealed carry classes id like to go through him. With how cheap he does transfers for i feel like it would be wrong not to give him all business possible. I know this is an old thread but does anyone have info on it before i give him a call?