Author Topic: 1st 1911  (Read 6951 times)

ellington

1st 1911
« on: February 28, 2011, 06:25:05 PM »
Hello,

I'm about to purchase my first 1911 and I have several questions. I understand the difference between a factory Kimber and a semi-custom Ed Brown, but I don't know anything about locating a 100% custom 1911. Is a pure custom 1911 that is made by one competent gunsmith even better and more expensive than an Ed Brown or a Les Baer? If so, who don't people just go to these guys? If I was gonna spend 3-5000, I'm sure I could find more money for a pure custom. I was initially gonna splurge into an Ed Brown Executice Carry, but now I'm wavering because I thought that those makers were 100% custom. If the "real" custom 1911's are better, but more expensive, I think I'll just buy a Kimber Royal II for now. If a 100% custom is better AND within the price range of an Ed Brown, why not go for the 100% custom? Are my questions clear? I totally get why Ed Brown is better than Kimber, but I don't know where the pure custom fits in. Thanks. I hope I make sense...
"Don't pull the thang out unless you plan to bang. Don't even bang unless you plan to hit something." Andre 3000

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
Re: 1st 1911
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 07:49:04 PM »
Welcome to the club. The Baers, Browns, wilson and nighthawk are all semi custom now. They make their line of guns, will doctor them up alittle to your liking, but at the end of the day there are thousands of guns just like yours out there. The more expensive custom smiths make 100% custom guns and you pay for it. To me there is a real difference between the semi customs and the kimber, springfield and s&w custom shops. I just got my first Brown...a friend allowed me to basically steal it from him and so far it is better than I ever imagined. The fit and feel on the gun is amazing...tight but not too much so and as acccurate as hell. I believe kimber uses MIM parts which may fail whereas the semi customs use all forged parts, so they should last longer and therefore be more relaible. IMO if you have the $3000 to drop uou would be very happy to "settle" on one of the semi customs. I personally dont like the kimbers, the melting is too agressive for my tastes.  If you have $5000 to drop on a full custom than....can you adopt me?!? I have owned several 1911s over the years and drooled over twice as many and the brown is really everything I had hoped.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 07:53:33 PM »
Btw ellington...if you would like to meet up at the range sometime I can bring my springfield and brown so you can compare the two and get a feel for what the semi customs would get you.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

ellington

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 08:07:07 PM »
Thanks for the response! I'm down for meeting at the range, but you might lock my wallet into the wrong direction. I might wanna live in the ignorant Kimber bliss. I feel like such a snob for suggesting that a $1000 Kimber isn't fantastic... Check your inbox.
"Don't pull the thang out unless you plan to bang. Don't even bang unless you plan to hit something." Andre 3000

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 08:08:09 PM »
I've owned two 1911's a Kimber and a Para and really didnt care for either. Both had their own faults. I really would love to get something a step or two up. The Kimber had serious feed issues and the Para had mag and finish issues.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 10:31:16 PM »
A 1911 is on my short list so for know I have to settle for shooting my son's SA every now and then.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

firststatefirearms

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 04:33:58 AM »
I personally carry a Kimber Tactical Pro II daily.  In my opinion it is a great weapon.  I have never had any problems with the weapon.  I also have a Kimber Custom TLE/RL II, it is also a great weapon.

I would love to purchase a Wilson but the cost is just not realistic at this point in time. 

However, the Kimber Family of 1911 must be a really good choice.  In 2002 LAPD SWAT (The premier SWAT Team in the world) purchased Kimber Custom II pistols.  In 2003 USMC Special Operations Command purchased Kimber Custom II pistols.  If these pistols passed tests by both LAPD and USMC what does that say about Kimber?

There is a great gunsmith in Newark that does great work on 1911 pistols.
An armed citizen refuses to be a victim.

ellington

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 12:41:21 PM »
Thanks for the response! Could you pass along the information of the 1911 guy in Newark?

firststatefirearms

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 07:38:20 PM »
His name is Paul Lamanna, Accurate Arms.  You can find him on switchboard.com

ellington

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 01:53:05 PM »
Thanks! BTW, assuming that I'm talking to who I think I am, I'm the guy who took your class in Jan who came along with his embarrassing late friend. The guy who was allergic to cats and left early... My girl and I are gonna turn in our completed paperwork next week. Thanks again!!! I hope to take one of your advanced classes!

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 06:43:14 PM »
ellington,

If you are looking for a production 1911, I strongly suggest SA - you will get a series 70 1911, lifetime warranty, and one of the best customer services in the industry.

If you are looking for a semi-custom, I am sure you will not be disappointed with any of the majors - Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Les Baer, SA Custom Shop, NightHawk, ... . I am a big fan of Les Baer!

Also, don't forget Guncrafter industries (http://www.guncrafterindustries.com/), their presence is also strong with lots of good reviews!!!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 06:55:28 PM by Luke11:21 »

ellington

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 01:10:32 AM »
Thanks!!!

firststatefirearms

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 03:43:35 AM »
No, Sorry We are not teaching CCW Classes yet.  We are First State Firearms INC.  We are located in Hockesssin DE.  We are a FFL Dealer.  There is another company using a similar name.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 04:27:22 AM »
Quote from: firststatefirearms
[...]I would love to purchase a Wilson but the cost is just not realistic at this point in time. 
[...]

Maybe we can get a group buy. I believe if we order three pistols the FFL gets master dealer discount   ;)