Author Topic: Guns & Marijuana  (Read 12638 times)

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
Guns & Marijuana
« on: April 04, 2011, 11:30:11 PM »
OK, no "sounds more like a convenience store" jokes allowed. 

With Delaware about to legalize medical marijuana what is your opinion on medical marijuana users carrying concealed weapons?

WHITE CITY, Ore. (AP) — Cynthia Willis calls up and down the firing range to be sure everyone knows she is shooting, squares up in a two-handed stance with her Walther P-22 automatic pistol and fires off a clip in rapid succession.

Willis is not only packing a concealed handgun permit in her wallet, she also has a medical marijuana card. That combination has led the local sheriff to try to take her gun permit away.
But the cardholders have won so far arguing this is one situation where federal law does not trump state law, because the concealed handgun license just gives a person a legal defense if they are arrested, not a right.

Oregon’s attorney general has sided with the marijuana cardholders, arguing that the concealed handgun license cannot be used to buy a gun, so sheriffs who issue one to a marijuana card holder are not in violation of the federal law.

This is an interesting article.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/can-marijuana-mix-with-concealed-guns-pistol-packing-pot-smoker-says-yes/

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

John

Re: Guns & Marijuana
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 11:49:17 PM »
Let's start a Poll.  I'll go first:  NO!

czer

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 01:02:16 AM »
As usual with these cases it is more complicated than it at first sounds:

I would not want someone to be carrying under the influence. So, the point is, do not carry if you plan on carrying-on.

However, I do not agree that just because a person has a medical marijuana permit, they should not be allowed to get a carry permit. (This is what the article is all about - whether someone who has a permit to use medical marijuana should be denied the right to get a concealed carry permit.) Just because you are allowed to use MJ, does not mean you should carry under the influence of your last hit.

And, of course, if someone misuses their carry piece while under the influence, they should be subject to criminal penalty, the same if they were drunk or high on prescription drugs.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 01:14:40 AM »
Although our politics are as far apart as two peoples' can be, I often find myself agreeing with czer, and it has happened again.

Disclosure: I don't smoke marijuana (really -- need clean hair & pee? PM me)... but I grew up in the '70s, so I know a boatload of people who did, and many of them probably still do.
I favor the full legalization of marijuana. Failing that, I support its medical use.

While I oppose mixing any drugs with firearms, I don't support infringing upon the Second Amendment rights of people engaging in any non-violent, non-felonious activity.

Many who have served us in Iraq and Afghanistan are prescribed powerful anti-depressants and other drugs by the VA to help them deal with the effects of PTSD. They are not "mentally ill," so their RKBA is -- rightfully -- not revoked.
Now, imagine if they were allowed to smoke pot (which would probably work better) instead of taking nasty stuff like Klonopin and Xanax... but they lost their Second Amendment rights in the process? That would be TRULY wrong.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 01:16:24 AM by oldgraygeek »
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 01:22:25 AM »
I currently have a permit to drink beer, and a permit to carry. I choose to not do both, at the same time. Medical marijuana should be the same.
New Castle County

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 02:00:57 AM »
where do I apply for the beer drinking permit  ??? ;D

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 11:52:30 AM »
The key word is "medical". When buying a firearm the federal form asks if you use illicit ilegal narcotics, not what prescriptions you are on. However since pot is still against federal law I wonder if you couldnt have both permits.  I would hope that the people with the pot cards wouldnt carry while high as much as I would hope they dont drive while smoking either.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 10:20:57 PM by GunEnvy »
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 01:41:46 PM »
I currently have a permit to drink beer, and a permit to carry. I choose to not do both, at the same time. Medical marijuana should be the same.

Great post!!! I too make the same choice. Unfortunately many cannot make this choice themselves, that is where the need for the law arises!

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 11:45:55 PM »
"That is where the need for the law arises"...   you assume that simply because there is a law that like magic, they won't toke and carry?  Not going to happen.  If folks are going to drink and carry, they're going to do it.  I don't.  Never have, never will.  But that's my decision.  I'm not for smoking pot, but if it helps folks then so be it.  Legal or not, I won't be doing it. 

I do agree with whomever posted about there being consequences if you toke and carry!  I think you should have the right to have both permits, but don't abuse the privledge.  If you do, they both get taken away.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 12:01:34 PM »
The only way to have the consequences is if there is a law to break, that is where the need for the laws.

czer

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 02:16:06 PM »
Aw shucks, OldGraygeek, agreeing with me is not the worse that can happen. I honestly think that if liberals and conservatives sat down and had a couple of beers, we could hammer out most of our issues. But emotion-charged words and pre-concepts of what we think the other party is all about, get in the way. And there are many leaders who make it their business to stoke our fires in the interest of getting themselves elected. Less emotion, more reason based on facts is needed.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 06:45:49 PM »
Czsr are you suggesting a beer summit? I am pretty sure someone tried that....let me think ;)

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

czer

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
Gulp! You're right, almost forgot that little tiff over profiling. But I bet the beer was Joe Biden's idea, more his style. Have to admit there was just something about all those suits sitting around, sipping beer instead of martini's like they probably really wanted to...But I think the point is THEY NEEDED MORE BEER!

Thlax

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 03:54:24 AM »

+1

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 10:59:10 AM »
The only way to have the consequences is if there is a law to break, that is where the need for the laws.

??  Laws are made to keep law abiding folks following laws... those are the only people laws apply to!  Criminals, or people who decide not to follow the laws, don't care what the consequences are.  Not to mention, this is the same argument over gun control.  Oh, we'll just make it illegal for the everyday joe to have a gun... the consequences are ______.  Fill in the blank with whatever harsh punishment you'd like.  Guess what, the consequences will keep the everyday - law abiding - joe from having a gun, but bubba who doesn't follow the law and doesnt care what the consequences are is going to have a gun and use it!!!! 

Sorry, Condition 1, but I just don't agree.  No harm, no foul. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident