Author Topic: Hello from a newbie in Newark/Bear  (Read 2504 times)

nunya_bizness

Hello from a newbie in Newark/Bear
« on: March 22, 2011, 02:41:37 AM »
Hey All,

Just a quick note since I am new to this site. I am from from Newark (closer to Bear), been in the same house since '96. Military vet[ USAF-12 yrs], and I am not a stranger to rifles and pistols. Promised wife when I got married, I would not consider owning a handgun until I had a good reason to own one, along with the kids were old enough to undersand what they are, how to respect them, and be able to understand why I may own one. I  never, ever was counting the days till the day I owned a handgun, as with owning any weapon it ultimately is a grave responsability I need to be prepared to accept, and we discussed several senarios that would trigger that process.

Seems that time has come...We had a double homicide less that two years ago, and then a shooting in front of my neighborhood store by a disgruntled boyfriend in broad daylight about a year ago. All less than 1/8 mile from my home. Also a co-worker 2 blocks over was burglarized a while back. In the light of the political climate over the last few years regarding legal gun ownership, rampant  drug pushing in a neighborhood less than a 1/4 mile away,and now my kids are old enough to understand what a gun is, how to respect them(mainly the "NEVER, EVER,touch one until you are old enough legally" or even used or unused ammunition if they see it and tell me - as I heard couple of handguns were found by a passerby in the woods near my neighborhood.) If I am going to accept the responsibility of owning a handgun, I feel I might as go the whole 9 yards and work on getting my ccw permit. I have been taking to a guy at work that has his already. Still mulling it over.
BTW, Great site with lots of info, hope to meet some of you sometime at the range at Ommaland or Target Master.
-Dave

John

Re: Hello from a newbie in Newark/Bear
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 01:19:47 PM »
Welcome and thank you for your service!

czer

Re: Hello from a newbie in Newark/Bear
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 05:41:54 PM »
Welcome! Unfortunately, it seems your rigorous criteria for arming has been met by your local conditions. I have been considering moving to Newark when we retire. Love the campus buzz and Main Street atmosphere. Rowdy young folk do not concern me but the amount of crime I read about does. Hope you never have the occassion to draw your weapon. Thanks for your service to our country!