Author Topic: obligation to carry - "nutnfancy"  (Read 8303 times)

czer

obligation to carry - "nutnfancy"
« on: April 27, 2011, 01:38:13 AM »
Have you all seen the You Tube video from "nutnfancy"  --- "Obligation to Carry"?  He says that when we get our carry license, it is our OBLIGATION to carry at all times and act as a civilian "sheepdog", ready to protect others. Alot of what he says rings true with me. It certainly elevates my own motives for carry to a higher level - up from the selfish idea of carrying solely for personal safety. On the other hand, I am not sure I am ready for such a high responsibility. This is serious stuff. Check the video out and see what you think. http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfancy#p/search/2/6gIHDHZf1TA

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: obligation to carry - "nutnfancy"
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 01:55:18 AM »
Ok, haven't watched the video (it's already past my bedtime), I can tell you that I carry to protect ME, my FAMILY, and very few others. 

Its a dark and stormy night....  ok, so its not stormy, but it is night and it is dark.  you see a guy beating his old lady down and you think he's really going to kill her!  You warn him to stop... he pounds even more and basically ignores that you're there.  You draw down on him, warning him again, etc.... blah blah blah... you shoot him and kill him.  You were sure without a reasonable doubt he was going to kill her if he punched her again (or hit her with a _______.).  She ends up suing you because you just shot and killed her babies daddy and he was a good man, etc. 

Nope... not going there.  Well....never say never, but I would have to really think about this as a civilian with a carry permit. 

Of course this doesn't encompass all scenarios and only gives certain details, but that's my two cents.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 10:08:27 AM »
Alittle preachy but I agree with him. And he needs to stop referring to himself in the third person ;D
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 11:54:26 AM »
Agreed. It is our duty to carry, if only because we can.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

czer

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 02:43:48 PM »
Moosie, I see where you are coming from, since I am there myself. But what if some lunatic starts shooting at a crowded mall, or walks into the restaurant you are in? In other words, situations in which the general public is in imminent, obvious danger? Do we hide under the table and defend ourselves only if he walks right up to us? In cases where you may be called upon to defend someone else in a personal altercation, I agree, is very, very dicey. How do you judge when to intervene?

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 03:10:35 PM »
Czer, I'd most definitely be in when it comes to something like that.  I'm sorry if I gave that impression that I'd sit on the sidelines. I guess my thought is that I don't carry to protect "everyone" I carry to protect ME (and my family, etc).   

Bleh.. I don't like when I can't get my point across on this here confounded internet LOL.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 03:23:27 PM »
My biggest fear is lawsuits. I have read and watched some things that are crazy situations andmake you think about jumping in to something I'm not 100% sure of. If it's cut and dry then yes I'm in . But seeing someone getting beat on I will most likely call 911 and hope they get there quick.

Schmenge

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 03:24:51 PM »
My thinking on this subject has evolved in the 18 months that I've been armed. At first I believed that I would defend anyone who needed defending. I now believe that I'm not the police and not trained to respond like the police. I've taken the responsibility to defend myself and my family. If none of us are in danger, I'm not likely to draw my weapon. Other people are responsible to defend themselves. If they choose to be unarmed, they have to accept the consequences. If I saw someone being beaten, I would react as I would if I were unarmed, ie call the police, try to distract the attacker etc. I would however be ready to draw my weapon if I then became the focus of the attacker. If I'm in a crowded restaurant and someone comes in to rob the place, they're going to get robbed. If someone comes in and starts shooting up the place, then I'll probably shoot back, AFTER I make sure my loved ones are out of the line of fire. It's a personal choice we all have to make. Whatever we all decide, we should think it through now. When something actually happens, we won't have time to think it through.
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 03:47:56 PM »
I also would use the cell phone before the gun in most situations that involve other people. Im not overly concerned with the lawsuit issue because the way the world is now I could be sued for killing the person, not killing the person, calling the police and not using my weapon. (Sienfeld series finale) Not that the suit would have merit but Id still have to defend myself. Thru the fire service Ive seen the effect taking a persons life has on people whether it be by accident or on purpose and I dont want to go thru that over someone elses beatdown or a purse snatching.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

czer

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 04:44:11 PM »
Sounds like a good movie plot. Mr. Citizen, who carries, minding his own business..someone comes into his restaurant (or school, theater, bus station, etc.) and for no apparent reason, starts shooting people in what looks like a mass shooting. Mr. Armed Citizen decides to escape by a back door with his wife and child. This half of the movie deals with the consequences of that move...what happens in the aftermath of the killings. Plus, reporters find out that Mr. Armed Citizen had a gun and might have made a difference...Next thing you know, the whole scene is repeating itself, (through movie magic) only this time, the armed citizen responds by shooting and killing the criminal, then this next half of the movie deals with the consequences of THAT move...complete with reporters finding out that Mr. Armed Citizen had talked about this whole thing on a internet chat room, there are charges of being a vigilanty, etc.  I'd watch it.

Schmenge

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
Here's hoping none of us ever have to "make the choice" for real! My wish is to be on my death bed (far into the future) wondering why in the world I bothered to carry a gun for all those years.
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

Rabbit

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 04:12:45 AM »
If i were to find my self in a active shooter type situation or in a store/restraint being robbed i decided that my priority to leave in the most expeditious manner possible with my loved ones (family / girlfriend) and call 911 in the process. Although situation dictates i think at this point in time i will only use force if I or loved a loved one is directly confronted with a threat.

colt0208

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 11:52:48 AM »
I would have a really hard time walking away from an active shooter situation knowing I was armed and could have saved innocent lives...priority one would obviously be to get my wife and son safe, then do what I gotta do.... if my wife and child were in the mall one day, and some nut starts shooting the place up, I pray there is an armed citizen in there to take care of it. I guess I would have deal with the repercussions as they come. I can't see a jury putting it to you for saving other lives.....imho...ymmv....

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 11:46:50 PM »
Great discussion. These are things I think about all the time- still not exactly sure what I would do in a given situation though. I only hope to be able to shoot straight under that much stress- man I'd hate to think an innocent would get hit by me! I just keep going to the range to practice, practice, practice. I still need to go more often! I think Nut'n has it right though- we carry it, we should be ready and able to use it correctly if needed- especially in an active shoot senario. I'd definately call the cops first if at all possible. I think we also need to discuss the proper things to do AFTER you pull it, and/ or shoot it, as well. Thanks for posting it Czer. See ya, Pete D.---
"This food fights back!" Myke Hawke Peirce

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 11:49:20 PM »
PS: I'd watch that movie too Czer- you have a great imagination! You make it, and I'll buy it! Pete D.---
"This food fights back!" Myke Hawke Peirce