Author Topic: Applied Today  (Read 6539 times)

terbe

Applied Today
« on: June 08, 2011, 08:31:31 PM »
Hi all,
I figured I would post a time line and costs as I have noticed that others had done to help keep tabs on the length of this process.

02/06/08 - $125.00 - Completed Basic Handgun Course.
02/11/08 - $20.00 - 100 rounds 9mm.
02/11/08 - $125.00 - Completed Handgun Safety Training Course.
02/25/08 - $20.00 - 100 rounds 9mm.
02/25/08 - $125.00 Completed Advanced Handgun Training Course.
02/25/08 - TOTAL $415.00 - Received certificate indicating completion of Basic and Advanced Handgun Safety Course.

3 plus years later...

05/24/11 - $69.00 - Fingerprints and background check done at State of DE Bureau of Identification primary facility as a walk-in. (appointments are not needed here)
This took about 10 minutes (plus the 45 minute commute to and from Wilmington).
05/24/11 - $73.00 - News Journal application for CCWP announcement submitted at News Journal Corp on Rt. 141 in New Castle.
Stopped here on way home from getting fingerprinted. Front desk has all appropriate forms and this took less than 10 minutes.
05/26/11 - Announcement ran in News Journal.
05/26/11 - Picked up Affidavit of Publication at News Journal front desk.
They will mail the affidavit to you, but it is quicker to pick it up.
05/27/11 to 06/05/11 - Picked up Reference Questionnaires.
06/08/11 - $15.00 - Pictures taken at US post office.
06/08/11 - $65.00 - Submitted application in duplicate at the New Castle County courthouse.
The woman that filed my paper work at the courthouse besides being most pleasant, informed me of a 4 to 6 month window currently on turnaround.
06/08/11 - $2.00 - Parking at courthouse.

The process always seemed like a chore which is why it was 3 years between taking the course and actually getting around to submitting my application. I could have made it less so, if I went to a local station for fingerprinting and mailed in the application, but that would have probably delayed me even further.

I'll let you know when I hear from the Attorney General's office in about a month I was told, and then again when I finally receive the CCW.

T.
UPDATE

I never heard from the Attorney General's office, but I also never did call to check on the status, just figured I would eventually hear either approved or denied.

9/23/11 - CCW permit arrived in the mail today with the paperwork to reapply in 3 years. :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
I guess the time between when I took the course and actually applied for my permit didn't matter as some were wondering.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 11:38:33 PM by terbe »

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
Re: Applied Today
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 12:34:47 AM »
Good Luck...........
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 01:25:29 AM »
Thanks for posting your time line and details!  It's a great help for those just starting the process, etc.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Thlax

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 10:20:51 AM »
I hope I'm wrong on this fact, but I thought your training certificate only lasted one year and you had to apply within that?

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 12:36:48 PM »
Thlax, there is no time limit between when the course is completed and application is made.  However, I would verify that the course requirements have not changed between when the course was taken and when the application is submitted.  To my knowledge, they havent. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Animal66

• NRA Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 07:15:50 AM »
When I took my class, they told me the certificate was good for one year.
I don't know how true that statement is, but Moosie is probably right!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:31:47 AM by Animal66 »

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 11:18:16 AM »
Here's where I went to find the answer...  since I see nothing about a one year deadline, I assume there is no deadline? 

Thanks to Sig for providing this information in the first place on the forums (http://deccw.com/index.php?board=4.0)

Moosie

http://courts.delaware.gov/Courts/Superior%20Court/?weapons.htm

Title 11 Criminal Code ยง 1441

(3) Every such applicant shall file in the office of the Prothonotary of the proper county the application verified by oath or affirmation in writing taken before an officer authorized by the laws of this State to administer the same, and shall under such verification state that the applicant's certificate and recommendation were read to or by the signers thereof and that the signatures thereto are in the proper and genuine handwriting of each. Prior to the issuance of an initial license the person shall also file with the Prothonotary a notarized certificate signed by an instructor or authorized representative of a sponsoring agency, school, organization or institution certifying that the applicant: (i) has completed a firearms training course which contains at least the below described minimum elements; and (ii) is sponsored by a federal, state, county or municipal law enforcement agency, a college, a nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms training, or a firearms training school with instructors certified by a nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms training. The firearms training, course shall include the following elements:

a. Instruction regarding knowledge and safe handling of firearms;
b. Instruction regarding safe storage of firearms and child safety;
c. Instruction regarding knowledge and safe handling of ammunition;
d. Instruction regarding safe storage of ammunition and child safety;
e. Instruction regarding safe firearms shooting fundamentals;
f. Live fire shooting exercises conducted on a range, including the expenditure of a minimum of 100 rounds of ammunition;
g. Identification of ways to develop and maintain firearm shooting skills;
h. Instruction regarding federal and state laws pertaining to the lawful purchase, ownership, transportation, use and possession of firearms;
i. Instruction regarding the laws of this State pertaining to the use of deadly force for self defense; and
j. Instruction regarding techniques for avoiding a criminal attack and how to manage a violent confrontation, including conflict resolution.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 03:32:33 PM »
That is interesting, I too vaguely remember being told one year, but I don't see anything supporting that from the links you provided Moosie - thanks for the links.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
You're welcome.  The real thanks should be to Sig who put the info on the forum in the first place.  There's a lot of info in there!

Thanks, Sig!!

Moosie

Thlax

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 01:43:29 AM »
I know I was told it's valid for one year....so I'd check on that in person.

terbe

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 11:40:29 PM »
I updated the original post, but for those that missed it, I received my CCW today 9/23/11.  :D
T.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 11:54:33 PM »
I updated the original post, but for those that missed it, I received my CCW today 9/23/11.  :D
T.

Welcome to the (Dis)Organized Militia!
Good to have you on board.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 01:21:02 AM »
Congrats, Terbe!!

Moosie