Author Topic: Old Ammo Disposal  (Read 5695 times)

Animal66

• NRA Member
Old Ammo Disposal
« on: June 11, 2011, 12:11:07 PM »
My father was going thru somethings and found some ammo for a 357 mag
The ammo is at least 25 years old. He does not want to take a chance and fire them.
Does anyone know where/how he could dispose of them properly?

Thank you in advance for any advice

Condition 1

• Life Member
Re: Old Ammo Disposal
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 03:16:51 PM »
I had a couple of bad reloads from the first time I reloaded, took to the range and gave to the range officer and told him they were unsafe bad reloads that I needed to dispose, he took out of my hands saying he would take care of it.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 05:57:22 PM »
So what is a safe shelf-life for ammo, from factory, and reloaded?
I know storage conditions mean a lot, so let's say kept in a sealed 50 cal can indoors in a closet.
I work at Dupont, so should know more about gunpowder ;)
Lumspond
New Castle County

fats429

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 04:57:52 PM »
I just shot some 357 reloads from 1974 they all went bang . I got my reload kit from a guy at work who gave me it all for free so long as I got rid of the ammo and powder . All the equipment was his fathers and he passed away in 78 so this stuff sat in his basement until 2008 when I finished his basement. When we were doing the work on the basement we moved the cabinet with the ammo and powder out to the back corner of his car port it sat there until November of 2011 in just cardboard boxes 

To get rid of all the powder I just dumped it in a bucket of water then mixed it into the ground at the back of the yard. That patch of grass looks great
I dumped all the primers into a coffee can with oil and then threw it out.

You can put 2 or 3 round in the dud box at a bunch of ranges but how many do you need to get rid of. Getting rid of old or bad ammo is not bomb disposal you can get a bullet puller take the head off and dump the powder then it is safe, a shot of oil in the case will kill the primer.

Or you could just give it to me

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 10:29:10 AM »
If the ammo was properly stored, it should work fine.  If it was not properly stored, it may not go bang.  But it probably won't blow up on you.  About a month and a half ago we were out shooting some .357 that we had loaded about twenty years ago, and the Internet is awash in decades-old military surplus ammo that works just fine.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."