Author Topic: Best Gauge Shotgun For Home Defense  (Read 24831 times)

fdegree

Best Gauge Shotgun For Home Defense
« on: June 30, 2011, 10:54:26 PM »
I'm considering a shotgun for home defense.  But, I don't know much about shotguns.  So, I'm wondering what is the best gauge shotgun for home defense...and why?
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-

Condition 1

• Life Member
Re: Best Gauge Shotgun For Home Defense
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 11:16:46 PM »
I would say #4 - #8 range, otherwise you will be risking overpenatration.

rusirius

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 12:17:05 AM »
I would say #4 - #8 range, otherwise you will be risking overpenatration.
;D :D :o

I know the argument has been absolutely beat to death, but I'm still not absolutely convinced a shotgun for HD gives any real advantage over a pistol.  One of my friends and I were discussing it one day (he keeps a shotgun for HD) and one of his comments was that he didn't have to worry about trying to aim, he could just point and shoot...  I'm sorry but that's just not right...  Sure you can point and shoot, and you very well may hit your target, just as you could with a pistol doing the same, but the fact is, at CQB ranges those pellets aren't gonna spread much more than the bore they came out of.  It's not like you're going to shoot at something a few feet away and see a human size spread come out of the thing... LOL...

I mean don't get me wrong... There is no arguing the take down power of 00 coming out of a 12ga.  I won't argue that for a moment... I just feel like I can grab my pistol and maneuver with it (if need be) and get on target with it quicker and more accurately than a shotgun.  It might not have the same power, but a double-tap from the pistol with HST rounds is gonna make 'em pause and think about the situation... ;)

Just my two cents... 

With that said, getting back to the OP, just because I don't see where they offer a huge advantage over pistols, doesn't mean they aren't good for HD... Because they certainly are!

As for your question, I can't see any reason NOT to go with 12ga. 

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 12:26:24 AM »
Well, here's my two cents for what it's worth.  When I got my Mossberg 500A, I bought it and THEN did research...  yeah.  :)  So, hopefully I can save you some time.  

I'd go for a 12 gauge pump action shotgun with an 18″ barrel and a magazine capacity of 6 shells or more.  12ga shells are amazingly effective when loaded with 00 buck. Aside from an 18″ barrel being min length, it's short enough that it's not too cumbersome. A pump action is very reliable and makes it easy to store safely but still ready to use. Also, the risk of over penetration through exterior walls is lower than with a rifle or handgun.

Once you have your shotgun, you might want to pick up some Ghost Ring Sights and a tactical light.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 12:47:49 AM »
I think shotguns serve fine as part of a HD plan, just as a handgun and carbine does. IMHO gauge is not as important as make and model. The gun will probably be shot very little once youve patterned it and until you stub your toe on it you prob will never oil it. I would go with a pumpgun over and auto because there is little chance that neglect will keep it from functioning.  There is not a large drop off in pellet count from 12 ga to 20 ga but there is a noticeable reduction in recoil. If I were to go with a pistol grip only shotgun I would lean towards a 20 just to reduce the chance of taking a shot at 0 dark 30 and my sleepy self losing control of the gun. If your just looking at a standard home defense gun I would say either a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 in 12 gauge. Both are inexpensive, plentiful and available in a million configurations.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

fdegree

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 11:38:34 AM »
Thanks for the responses.

In close quarters, is there enough of a difference between 12 and 20 ga?
If there is little difference, wouldn't the better choice be the 20 ga. since it has less recoil?

No one mentioned 410...how would that compare?
-Unknown-

-Sun Tzu-

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 11:53:35 AM »
If you're worried about recoil, purchase some "home defense" rounds that have less recoil.  In my opinion, I'd opt for the 12ga simply because you can pack a bigger and better punch for the round.  20 ga has smaller shot and doesn't leave as much room for "error" when trying to hit your target. 

As GunEnvy posted, you should also realize that a shotgun plays a PART of your HD plan... it shouldn't be the entire plan. 

Just my two cents.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
I think when Moosie says the shot is smaller she meant less of it, as the shot size itself is the same whether in 12, 20 16,ga and so on. 410 in my opinion is not a good home defense option at there is just so little shot in the shells. The 410 revolvers that are out now are cool as hell but I wont say what I think of them for carry purposes. Here is an interesting link comparing shot count in like power shells for 12ga and 20 ga http://www.supertrav.com/pelletcount1.html   Dont hold me to how accurate the counts are but I think it atleast gives an idea of what your looking at. I personally went with a 12ga loaded with # 6 birdshot. Between hunting and clay shooting my shotguns are fired far more than any other gun I own so for me recoil was never in the thought process.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 12:48:52 PM by GunEnvy »
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 02:29:25 PM »
[...] I personally went with a 12ga loaded with # 6 birdshot. [...]

If I were to get a shotgun for HD, that would probably be the load of choice for HD - much less chance of overpenatration and still making a big mess.

Rabbit

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 06:10:25 PM »
here's my .129292 Chinese yuan (2 cents American)

I keep my Glock 19 next to by bed and my 870 in the gun cabinet with 6 rounds (00 buck) in the side saddle. i don't keep rounds in the magazine tube when its locked up. both are tools with slightly different applications but when used properly will give you the same results. There is a reason Cops have both... because they are fun to shoot.   

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 07:07:47 PM »
Not enough information for a specific reply.  Hands down a 12 gauge is the best if you can handle it.  However, many factors have to be considered. 

1.  Experience of the user
2.  Physical strength of the user
3.  Age of the user.
4.  Health of the user.

Depending on these factors a 20 gauge might be more appropriate.

As for the type of ammo....that is a whole other discussion.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 08:56:31 PM »
a 20 gauge with  a pistol grip will do just fine.  If you can't aim and you need extra pellets of  a 12?  Give up shooting...  Shot placement is every thing...   Most criminals when they hear the cycling of a loading a shell, will run.. They will not say to their buddy,  HEY, is that  a 12 , 20, or 410 he just loaded.     

No offense ment to the 12 gauge worshipers..  They work well when shooting threw the drywall..   
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 11:24:46 PM »
I'm a pessimist.
I carry a 10mm Glock 29 and a spare mag. I keep its big brother, a Glock 20, in my nightstand... I would feel OK with the G29, but I don't want to risk forgetting to bring it in there at bedtime.

My wife is such a pessimist she prefers revolvers, carrying a J-frame and keeping a .357 Magnum in her nightstand...
That's not pessimistic, you say? Well, it's an 8-shot revolver.

So, when it comes to shotguns for home defense -- meaning that the handguns have proven inadequate, or there are apparently enough visitors that we bypass them entirely -- mine is a Saiga-12 with nine rounds of #00 buck, and my wife has a Mossberg 500 with five 1-oz. slugs.

I'm not arguing that a 20-gauge is inadequate. I'm simply saying that, in the awful event that we need to kill, we prefer overkill.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 11:38:42 PM »
I think when Moosie says the shot is smaller she meant less of it, as the shot size itself is the same whether in 12, 20 16,ga and so on. 410 in my opinion is not a good home defense option at there is just so little shot in the shells. The 410 revolvers that are out now are cool as hell but I wont say what I think of them for carry purposes. Here is an interesting link comparing shot count in like power shells for 12ga and 20 ga http://www.supertrav.com/pelletcount1.html   Dont hold me to how accurate the counts are but I think it atleast gives an idea of what your looking at. I personally went with a 12ga loaded with # 6 birdshot. Between hunting and clay shooting my shotguns are fired far more than any other gun I own so for me recoil was never in the thought process.

Yes, that's what I meant.  Thanks for clearing it up.

Moosie

fdegree

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 01:44:35 AM »
Thanks again for all of the responses!!!!

Don't know if my situation will change anyone's thoughts...probably should have posted this in the original post
  • Me = 6' 0"  -  225 lbs.  -  strength handling the recoil...not a problem
  • Wife = 5' 5"  -  150 lbs.  -  health problems...may have difficulty handling the recoil
  • Daughter = 9 years old  -  working with a BB gun to learn the finer points of gun safety  -  soon hope to graduate to a .22  -  she has expressed an interest in hunting

Can't afford multiple guns for multiple players.  So, I hope to get something that is manageable for everyone, yet effective too.
-Unknown-

-Sun Tzu-