Author Topic: Best Gauge Shotgun For Home Defense  (Read 24866 times)

Rabbit

Re: Best Gauge Shotgun For Home Defense
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 05:36:17 AM »
Sorry i lost track of the topic at hand, I have a 12 gauge 870 because well when i saw it i wanted it, and i walked out of X ring with a shotgun that i hand no intention of buying one hour earlier.

I digress... IMHO worrying about what is the best gauge for home defense may be the wrong way to look at it. A 20, 16 or 12 gauge will all get the job done. But can you wife / significant other handle it if they needed to? Then there is make / model and how you are going to accessorize it. Go shooting with your friends shoot a couple shotguns semi / pump with different loads slug buckshot and bird-shot and find what you like and what is most comfortable for you to handle... that is what you should go with, then you should try to figure out which load to use in you home.

just my .129292 yuan

Can't afford multiple guns for multiple players.

If you could afford it would it be necessary? just the thought having his and hers shotguns on different side of the bed-frame makes me chuckle a little. I know as a responsible parent and gun owner you wouldn't leave a firearm lying around where your kid could and most likely would find it.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 02:02:59 PM »
I think one should "worry" (consider) everything - application, ergonomics, weapon, caliber... It is VERY important to not only ask questions but also read - there are lots of info on application, ballistics, .... when one decides to get a gun, ammo, ... it is important to research and know everything you can about the platform you are getting, the ammo you are choosing.... The are many boards on the web dedicated to particular firearms, choice of gear, application, ammo....you name it. Sometimes, many I would say, the "popular" stuff is not the best choice, just better advertised. I usually look what professionals use and what they have to say - professional shooters, special ops, special forces, SWAT...

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 01:07:34 AM »

I'm not arguing that a 20-gauge is inadequate. I'm simply saying that, in the awful event that we need to STOP THE THREAT, we prefer overkill.

I fixed it for you..   
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

F16WarBird

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 02:14:38 AM »
For me, 12 gauge is the way to go.  .410 if I'm being attacked by clay pigeons.

"They're saying goodbye in their own way. Playing outlawed tunes on outlawed pipes."

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 02:58:34 PM »
It sounds to me that what we need is a MAJOR DCC "shotgun" range trip- everyone bring out what you've got and we, I mean... fdegree, can try them all- (especially that Saiga of Oldgrays)! It would be ashame if fdegree doesn't get just what he needs! When and where... I'll bring my 590A1... (and maybe some other stuff too)! Pete D.---
"This food fights back!" Myke Hawke Peirce

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 09:56:19 PM »
Sign me up, Pete.

I only wish someone on the forum had a safe outdoor venue where we could really let loose...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 10:00:46 PM by oldgraygeek »
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

rusirius

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2011, 12:28:12 AM »
Thanks again for all of the responses!!!!

Don't know if my situation will change anyone's thoughts...probably should have posted this in the original post
  • Me = 6' 0"  -  225 lbs.  -  strength handling the recoil...not a problem
  • Wife = 5' 5"  -  150 lbs.  -  health problems...may have difficulty handling the recoil
  • Daughter = 9 years old  -  working with a BB gun to learn the finer points of gun safety  -  soon hope to graduate to a .22  -  she has expressed an interest in hunting

Can't afford multiple guns for multiple players.  So, I hope to get something that is manageable for everyone, yet effective too.

You'd be AMAZED at how LITTLE a 12ga can actually kick with the right recoil system... ;)

In fact, I think there are few that would argue that the AA-12 is the best shotgun for home defense...   :o ;D :D :P
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 12:30:08 AM by rusirius »

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2011, 01:52:57 AM »
I have always been a fan of the 870"s . They just keep shooting, but I purchased a beretta 12 ga with the kick off and that thing dosent hardly kick at all. ( atleast compared to the 870"s). I hunt with it and I am amazed at all the mud and grass that can get in it when waterfoul hunting but it has NEVER let me down. The problem is I cant seem to hit as many birds with it as a cheaper gun  ???. I think it has something to do with the shims in the stock but anyhow,,, Im just saying they shoot nice .

rusirius

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2011, 02:00:51 AM »
Yup... After shooting a Stoeger M3500 recently I'm getting ready to get one myself.  A 3 1/2" magnum in it without the recoil reducer is BRUTAL (it's an inertial system rather than gas), but with the recoil reducer it's pretty sweet...

fdegree

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2011, 01:10:35 PM »
It sounds to me that what we need is a MAJOR DCC "shotgun" range trip- everyone bring out what you've got and we, I mean... fdegree, can try them all- (especially that Saiga of Oldgrays)! It would be ashame if fdegree doesn't get just what he needs! When and where... I'll bring my 590A1... (and maybe some other stuff too)! Pete D.---

This is an absolutely wonderful offer, and I wish I could reliably commit to it.  Unfortunately, I can not make any promises.  I mentioned in one of my previous posts that my wife has health problems...she was diagnosed with brain cancer back in March, and we are taking everything one day at a time.  Right now, my priority is my family...especially my wife and 9 year old daughter.

With that being said, don't let my situation stop you folks from getting together and posting your personal findings and opinions.

Please keep this thread going...I'm still learning.
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 01:53:08 AM »
Dude, I'm so sorry to hear that. I'll be praying for her and for your family. Thanks for letting us know what's happening with you. My 590 is yours for the asking- seriously, PM me so we can hook up asap- this 12 gauge will do your family right so you have one less thing to worry about!! Hang in there, Pete D.---
"This food fights back!" Myke Hawke Peirce

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 01:04:18 PM »
Fdegree, sorry to hear about your wife.

Will add my .02....  Dont like SG for HD at all.  Too long of a gun for clearing rooms / house.

(HOPE YOU DONT) But in middle of night you hear that bump that wakes you.  You grab you SG.  Call out family is safe.  Now you start "slicing the pie" to get out and investigate. OK made it out of the bed room.  Now cautiously  down hallway. Zombie is in bathroom (door open).  Other side is linen closet, wall whatever (you're in a hall way).  There is a MINIMUM of 18 inches (barrel) BEFORE you can see around the doorway AND that SAME 18 inches of barrel the zombie can grab from the side and push into far wall (he wants to stay safe to rob again) now struggle.  Try a walk through with a broom and spouse as a BG.

Another thought...  Think about the exit of your bed room into hallway. Do you make a right turn to go down it?  Most of you are righties??  OK, so we need to clear the house.  To clear that barrel and get into hallway ALL of your body is out in the OPEN!    "IF" you should shoot, what is your target area? Center mass, right?  Well if the zombie is armed, what is his....???  "IF" the zombie is in the bathroom (to your right), is he using the door frame as cover to protect his center mass (remember, wants to rob again...).  So, only a little PART of him will be exposed, but ALL of you....  Just a thought....  After the zombie is down and your waiting for the "to protect and serve", SG has it's place.

The best plan (OPINION) is a safe room (one way in).  Something for cover (dresser).  Door key attached to a glow stick. CELL PHONE.  Call 911 and STAY ON THE LINE DO NOT HANG UP (recording the call).  Announce (YELL!) you are armed, if you come in, you WILL shoot. When police arrive, light up glow stick throw them the key.  Whatever you use (PLAN), make SURE your family knows the drill.  You do NOT want an accidental shooting of a family member!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:07:44 PM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.