Author Topic: ccdw Police stop  (Read 10692 times)

mrjam2jab

Re: ccdw Police stop
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 05:11:13 PM »
I see your point, and don't disagree with it, but what possible harm could come from notifying?  I mean let's face it, as soon as he goes back to his car and runs the license he's going to know anyway... I guess that's why in that situation I would choose to notify... He's going to know anyway, don't see what harm it does, and by me being up front it might just give him a sense of cooperation from me that might help me make out a little better in the end...  *shrug*

I understand that informing or not tends to be a personal preference...but I don't see how informing is cooperating more than not informing.  Would you also inform of other items that are in the car? ...cell phone...McD's bag...etc? 

I'll always notify, for my own protection... for the same reason that I always keep my hands in plain sight during a traffic stop:
The police are afraid of dying.
When they make a traffic stop, or encounter a potential suspect on foot, the possibility of being killed by the person they've stopped is always on their mind.

Long before I started carrying, a cop I knew explained this to me, and taught me proper ettiquette for a traffic stop:
0) Keep your registration and insurance card where you can get them without taking your hand out of sight even for a moment.
1) Pull over in a safe spot as soon as you realize the officer is going to stop you, instead of waiting for him to light up.
2) Open your windows, shut your engine off, and turn on the dome light if it's dark.
3) Put both hands on the top left quadrant of the steering wheel, and leave them there while the officer approaches your vehicle.
4) When the officer asks for your documents, hand him the registration and insurance, then tell him where your license is and slowly retrieve it.
5) Enjoy the ticket you don't get, or the lower-than-actual speed on the ticket you do get, and go on your way.

I have only been stopped once while carrying, on the PA Turnpike. I followed my rules, and handed the officer my LTCF with my license.
He asked where my gun was, I told him. He promptly gave me back my permit, wrote me a ticket for a much lower speed than I had been driving, and thanked me for keeping my hands in plain sight during the stop.

That is the reason that many choose to notify...in hopes of "brotherhood recognition" leniency.   But eventually you'll run into the LEO that doesn't want citizens carrying...will remove the gun for "officer safety"...extend the length of the stop to "run the numbers" something he has no reason to do...
I'm not a gun nut.  I'm a 2nd Amendment enthusiast.

rusirius

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 02:28:15 AM »
Last year when my renewal was late because of the back log I was told by the woman at the prothonatary that the only way a leo knows if you have a permit is when they run the permit number and their system tells them if its valid. I asked because I was hoping I could carry my expired permit until the renewal arrived but she told me if I were to be stopped and the officer ran it all he would see is that I didnt have one, wouldnt say it had expired or they had my renewal, just that the one he had in hand was invalid. I dont know if they've changed it since but with the way the state runs I'd be surprised.

Hrmmm... Well I'll be...  I knew many states tie it to your drivers license, so I just assumed DE was the same...  Learn something every day!

rusirius

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 02:36:42 AM »
I'll always notify, for my own protection... for the same reason that I always keep my hands in plain sight during a traffic stop:
The police are afraid of dying.
When they make a traffic stop, or encounter a potential suspect on foot, the possibility of being killed by the person they've stopped is always on their mind.

Long before I started carrying, a cop I knew explained this to me, and taught me proper ettiquette for a traffic stop:
0) Keep your registration and insurance card where you can get them without taking your hand out of sight even for a moment.
1) Pull over in a safe spot as soon as you realize the officer is going to stop you, instead of waiting for him to light up.
2) Open your windows, shut your engine off, and turn on the dome light if it's dark.
3) Put both hands on the top left quadrant of the steering wheel, and leave them there while the officer approaches your vehicle.
4) When the officer asks for your documents, hand him the registration and insurance, then tell him where your license is and slowly retrieve it.
5) Enjoy the ticket you don't get, or the lower-than-actual speed on the ticket you do get, and go on your way.

I have only been stopped once while carrying, on the PA Turnpike. I followed my rules, and handed the officer my LTCF with my license.
He asked where my gun was, I told him. He promptly gave me back my permit, wrote me a ticket for a much lower speed than I had been driving, and thanked me for keeping my hands in plain sight during the stop.

Honestly I've never been stopped while in a car... I have however been stopped MANY times while on my bike (Suzuki GSX-R).  Whenever I'd get pulled I'd pull right over, shut the bike off, pull the key out of the ignition and visibly drop it on the ground off to my side.  Just to give him the knowledge that I wasn't going to run.  They ALWAYS thanked me for doing that, and for stopping in general.  I can't even begin to count the number of times I was pulled over, but I was NEVER given a ticket... In fact, I only received ONE written warning, and that was for 60 in a 55.  In reality he had clocked me at 92!  No other traffic around, so he let me slide... 

I guess I just figure rather the guy is a stand up fellow or a genuine @@@, doing things that show I appreciate the danger and problems they face, and that I'm doing my best to NOT contribute further to it, can only serve to help me out...  Just my opinion of course!

rusirius

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 02:44:38 AM »

I understand that informing or not tends to be a personal preference...but I don't see how informing is cooperating more than not informing.  Would you also inform of other items that are in the car? ...cell phone...McD's bag...etc? 

That is the reason that many choose to notify...in hopes of "brotherhood recognition" leniency.   But eventually you'll run into the LEO that doesn't want citizens carrying...will remove the gun for "officer safety"...extend the length of the stop to "run the numbers" something he has no reason to do...

I think the cooperating bit comes from what I said in the previous post.  To most (cops) I think it says, "This guy has a weapon, but he wanted to let me know about it right away, he "cares" about me and my safety and knows that we face dangers" etc... You know what I mean?  I guess I'm putting myself in their position.  Knowing a citizen I was stopping has a weapon (legally) isn't going to change anything, but by that citizen informing me, it would show me that he cared and/or respected me enough to do so.

I don't think it has anything to do with a "brotherhood recognition", or at least not in my own personal choice, but regardless of the persons demeanor it can't hurt to do whatever you can to get on or stay on their good side.  At least in my opinion.

As for cell phones or McD's bags, no, but they can't be used to kill him either.  ;)  When I have been stopped on my bike, when asked if I have any weapons (always seems to get asked anyway) I'd always mention the pocket knife I carried.  Sure they didn't care, but again I think it just shows a willingness to cooperate that can't hurt, and just might help.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 01:08:39 PM »
I agree with the willingness to cooperate. I have no problems telling upfront I am carrying, I have no problems showing my ID if I am walking and a police officer decides to stop me, I don't get into it is my right not to show you and blah, blah, blah...if they stopped me, they had a reason, whatever it may be, and they are out there on the streets everyday dealing with ignorant people and dangerous situations, so I always cooperate. If I ever get treated like the guy in the video I will sue with the best lawyer I can afford and make sure the police department will be out of a good amount of cash and the officer looses his job.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 03:41:01 PM »
I believe Condition 1 makes a very good point.  Cooperate and if you feel you were mistreated make your grievances known afterwards. 

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

F16WarBird

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 04:02:04 PM »
In the past, I've always given my military ID along with my driver's license, registration, and insurance card when stopped by the police.

I have no issue with adding my CCW to the pile.

I always address a police officer by his/her first name, "Sir/Ma'am".  If they act like jerks or cross the line, I'll seek redress via the legal system.

"They're saying goodbye in their own way. Playing outlawed tunes on outlawed pipes."