Author Topic: Chambered for her pleasure?  (Read 11883 times)

F16WarBird

• NRA Life Member
Chambered for her pleasure?
« on: July 19, 2011, 07:10:27 PM »
I was just curious.  Do you carry with a round chambered or not?

"They're saying goodbye in their own way. Playing outlawed tunes on outlawed pipes."

glock9

Re: Chambered for her pleasure?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 08:25:01 PM »
is there any other way to carry? why would yo want to carry a unloaded gun

rusirius

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 09:00:59 PM »
You'll find on the larger forums this comes up and gets debated about twice a day... Sometimes it gets downright ugly...

The bottom line is, you'll just have to do what you're comfortable with... If you aren't comfortable carrying chambered, then don't...

As for me personally, I ALWAYS carry with one in the pipe... With good equipment it isn't a safety issue in my opinion.  There are plenty that will argue that the small amount of time it takes to chamber a round won't affect the outcome of a "situation", but for me I feel like ANY advantage is going to be that much better.  Not only is it one less thing I have to do, but I also don't have to worry about oddball situations where it might be made difficult... For example, I remember one thread on another forum recently where one guy who constantly argued that one could ALWAYS get a round chambered and should never carry with one already chambered actually changed his mind after a trip to the range on a hot day where he discovered the sweat on his hands made it almost impossible to get a good grip on the slide to rack.

Again, I personally just can't justify carrying WITHOUT a round chambered, but to each their own... If it makes someone else comfortable to carry unchambered, then so be it.  It's no skin of my back... ;)

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 09:03:02 PM »
Round in the chamber yes, but hammer down (not cocked). My Sig has no external safety, but plenty of internal ones (firing pin).
New Castle County

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 09:17:08 PM »
Because I dont' carry it on my body,  its not.
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 09:17:34 PM »
Pistol - Cocked, locked, full magazine in, chambered
Rifle - Cocked, locked, full magazine in, unchambered

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 09:28:28 PM »
Yup, I always carry in condition 1.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 10:51:41 PM »
Always.
I also won't carry a firearm with an external "safety." I either have a Glock or a revolver, or both. The worst thing to hear right before I die would be a faint click from a firearm with the "safety" on.

(The reason I put quotes around the word "safety" is simple: the only time a firearm is remotely "safe" is when I can see its empty chamber, so what good is a "safety" when the gun is loaded)?
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 11:07:06 PM »
Always.
I also won't carry a firearm with an external "safety." I either have a Glock or a revolver, or both. The worst thing to hear right before I die would be a faint click from a firearm with the "safety" on

[...]

That is where practice comes into play.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 11:30:04 PM »
True, practice is key, but I keep my booger hook away from the bang switch, so I don't see the need for something that "protects" me from not doing that.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 11:51:11 PM »
The purpose of the thumb safety on certain guns, 1911 for example, is to prevent hammer falling without intentionally pulling the trigger - I.e. banging the gun against the way, reholstering, .... , these guns generally have a lighter trigger pull.

I personally wouldn't carry a revolver unless I had absolutely no other choice. A malfunction with a revolver there is no way to "fix it" whithout taking off service, a semiauto gives you the chance to clear the malfunction.

I guess the bottom line is to carry the gun you feel comfortable, practice with, and trust it will go bang. Regardless of the gun, it is suggested that a handgun should be carried with a round on the chamber, and I think most of us agree with that.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 12:04:15 AM »
Booger hook and bang switch......lmao. I keep a round in the chamber also or I have my jframe with me.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 12:12:19 AM »
Watch this sad incident where the jewelry store owner is trying to chamber a round during a robbery - http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=086_1260862712

rusirius

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 12:29:25 AM »
Regardless of the gun, it is suggested that a handgun should be carried with a round on the chamber, and I think most of us agree with that.

You'd think... but it's amazing how many people on the national forums absolutely insist that carrying a round chambered is "brilliant".   >:(

F16WarBird

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 12:33:55 AM »
We're ordered to keep our weapons in Amber status (loaded mag, empty chamber) inside the wire over here.  I have every confidence that I can quickly draw, rack, and accurately put rounds on center mass.  But when I get home, I won't be carrying my weapon in a SERPA drop holster with extra mags on a web belt.   :D

In the event that I'm forced to draw my weapon, I don't want to worry about fumbling with the slide, nor do I want to give the target an audible warning (robbery scenerio).  I'm no hero, but I don't plan on being someone's victim.

That was why I asked such a n00b question.

Thanks for all of the replies.

"They're saying goodbye in their own way. Playing outlawed tunes on outlawed pipes."