Author Topic: Liquor Stores  (Read 17464 times)

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: Liquor Stores
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2011, 11:54:26 PM »
I guess I do not see the point of open carry, except as a political statement. There are too many advantages of concealed carry - like surprising the bad guy and not unnecessarily alarming those who are afraid of guns. As a political statement, that is, asserting your right to bear arms, it has the high probability of back firing onto the "bearers", by alarming the unarmed.

A much more practical and worthy political goal, IMHO, would be to organize a fight to streamline the CCW process in Delaware. It is a disgrace and something a free people should not put up with.

How is not alarming hoplophobes an advantage?   

Hoplophobia is a powerful force among the unenlightened. Stimulating this force often results in brilliant and dangerous behavior (e.g., the "assault weapons" ban).
I agree that we should not need to bend over backwards to avoid frightening these backward folks... but carrying openly has been known to attract the wrong kind of attention.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

czer

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2011, 01:35:36 PM »
Of course, I am a pragmatist...if there was a way to research a place (county, state, country, ethnic group, etc.) where many adults OC in their society, and then we found that their crime rate was substantially below other more gun-restricted societies, then we would KNOW something. OC would certainly be simpler to manage on a daily basis than CC.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2011, 12:08:16 AM »
I am surprised at all the negative rhetoric about open carry.  I both open carry and concealed carry and I see advantages and disadvantages of both.  There have been studies where criminals in jail have been interviewed and most say that if they see someone carrying a firearm they turn around and seek a perceived weaker target.  Incidents of criminals specifically targeting open carriers have happened but they are rare. It is the same with what they call the "shoot me first" vests some CCW people wear. I cannot recall one case where that has happened.  I can also see the advantages of wanting to be discreet with carrying a firearm.

I does not matter if someone open carries or carries concealed as long as they carry responsibly and lawfully. Who really cares what others think. 

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County