Author Topic: Muzzle loaders  (Read 3550 times)

F16WarBird

• NRA Life Member
Muzzle loaders
« on: August 03, 2011, 09:14:23 PM »
Since I can't bring myself to join yet another forum, does anyone know if an FFL is required for muskets?

I'm joining a Napoleonic reenacting group (1st Royal Scots Reg't for 1812) and the first thing I need to get is my weapon.

Does it have to be shipped to an FFL or can it be sent directly to my home?

Thanks!

P.S.  This is her:

Ain't she purdy?   ;D

"They're saying goodbye in their own way. Playing outlawed tunes on outlawed pipes."

rusirius

Re: Muzzle loaders
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 12:32:26 AM »
Since I can't bring myself to join yet another forum, does anyone know if an FFL is required for muskets?

I'm joining a Napoleonic reenacting group (1st Royal Scots Reg't for 1812) and the first thing I need to get is my weapon.

Does it have to be shipped to an FFL or can it be sent directly to my home?

Thanks!

P.S.  This is her:

Ain't she purdy?   ;D

I'm only answering this because nobody else has yet, so take it for what it's worth (which may not be much)...

All of my muzzle loaders were bought locally, so I'm not positive about the shipping, but AFAIK you do NOT need to do the transfer through an FFL.  Now with that said, I know there ARE some muzzleloaders that DO require FFL transfer, but they are mostly newer ones that have interchangeable barrels.  The idea being, the barrel can be swapped and turned into a cartridge rifle.

So again, I have no idea what I'm talking about, but no, I think you're fine... ;)

And yeah, she sure is purdy!  If you don't mind me asking, what kinda $$$?

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 12:54:34 AM »
I dont think you need to ship it to a ffl. You can but them in cabellas and they will ship them to you ( im fairly sure). I dont even think theres a backround check when you buy one.

F16WarBird

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 01:30:45 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

@rusirius: $499.   It's a Brown Bess East India Pattern, (Third model).  It's not spot-on perfect, but it will do. I'll just need to add a flash guard.  It'll get weathered as I troop with it.

"They're saying goodbye in their own way. Playing outlawed tunes on outlawed pipes."