Author Topic: Defensive Handgun I - Doswell, Va.  (Read 5564 times)

ProShooter

• www.ProactiveShooters.com
    • Proactive Shooters - Firearms Safety Training & Instruction
Defensive Handgun I - Doswell, Va.
« on: August 17, 2011, 10:05:08 PM »
Proactive Shooters is proud to announce a new, live fire course! -

Defensive Handgun I is a structured shooting class designed to teach you the beginning shooting techniques needed to properly deploy your defensive handgun, while at the same time reinforcing safe gun handling skills. This is not a course for the novice gun owner, but rather for someone who carries a handgun on a regular basis and wants to learn & reinforce new skills beyond the basic fundamentals.

Students will shoot from standing, kneeling, and prone positions, at various distances at our outdoor range facility. The course generally runs about 6-8 hours, depending on class size (Limit 10 students per class).

Topics include:

One/Two hand shooting techniques
Linear/Lateral Movement
Target Recognition
Verbal Commands
Magazine changes/reloads while shooting
Shooting from Retention
Shooting from Standing, Kneeling & Prone Positions
Reinforcement of Basic Handgun Skills & Safety

Cost of the class is $150.00 and the first class is scheduled for Saturday, September 10, 2011. Additional details can be found on our website. You may register online at http://www.ProactiveShooters.com

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Utah Concealed Firearms Certified Instructor
SABRE Pepper Spray CSAP Instructor
12 year veteran - former LE

John

Re: Defensive Handgun I - Doswell, Va.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 12:36:43 AM »
Interesting.  Anyone done this sort of thing?

rusirius

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 01:47:30 AM »
I certainly think a good course with a good instructor is absolutely invaluable... On the other hand, not that I am familiar with this outfit, but in general I don't get too excited about these things...

There is so much info out there on the internet between articles, informational sites, forums, and youtube videos, that you can really get all of that instruction through other (i.e. free) avenues.  Fundamentals like coming to a low-ready, full extension, bringing to line of sight, full contact with both hands, are all well accepted and not very debated topics.  They are easy to learn and then put into practice on your own time at the range of your choice.

Once you've gotten to the point where you think you've mastered it, that's when I think it's invaluable to have someone else watch your techniques and critique them.  But even that can technically be done by creating a video and letting others view them... Making it more of a community discussion. 

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 01:50:23 AM »
I took a Combat Pistol class, three days in the sun near York PA, that included most of this stuff. I found it very helpful.
By the time you've loaded and fired 1200+ rounds in one weekend with your carry weapon, you are intimately familiar with it. I'm confident I can load, fire, and if necessary clear my Glock in utter darkness. I also know I can pass the courses of fire required of many state troopers and federal agents.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 02:05:51 AM »
I have taken an advanced class, AWESOME. Drawing and shooting from concealment , multiple targets, from behind covers, slicing the pie, moving and shooting..... I can't wait for another one and for a carbine class.

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 09:42:23 AM »
  I think a combination of keeping up to date using what Rusirius talked about,  but every x amount of years, taking a hands on course would be a nice mix.

I put as much faith in watching people, your surroundings, then the accual using of the last option.    Just sitting for 5-10 seconds in your car when you park, looking around, ect.   Scanning parking lots for 3 seconds before leaving bank doors. Accually stoping to talk to your next door neihbor once in a while, stuff like that.
  Trying to avoid, through awareness, is half the battle.   Sometimes you cant control that other half, that is what advance classes are for.

Condition, they used to have  a place in Pa?  But stoped a few years back?  I think due to worry about who, was taking classes. Advance AK, or AR classes, i believe.   If I find the link, I"ll pm you.
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

ProShooter

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 03:13:38 AM »
Registration remains open and spaces are still available.

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim

ProShooter

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 10:05:34 PM »
Spots are still available for our class this Sunday, November 13th.

Willie 848

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 12:13:47 AM »
Sounds interesting

ProShooter

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 11:08:39 AM »
Spots are still available for our March 17, 2012 class.

We do this class once a month.