Author Topic: Will it ever happen?  (Read 5593 times)

Ex USCG

Will it ever happen?
« on: September 14, 2011, 12:23:33 PM »

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
Re: Will it ever happen?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 10:36:10 PM »
I have been following the bill for several months here:

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h822/show

They are up to 243 co-sponsors

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 10:46:22 PM »
It only failed by two votes in the Senate last time it came up... even such known right-wingers as Harry Reid voted for it.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 11:28:03 PM »
It only failed by two votes in the Senate last time it came up... even such known right-wingers as Harry Reid voted for it.
They will do anything to get votes now ;D

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 12:01:06 AM »

you mean your other right?

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 12:42:03 AM »
I'm forced to stick up for Harry Reid because, as lame and ineffective as he is, he's the best us liberals can do... and, while he may or may not believe deep down in the RKBA, he's at least smart enough not to oppose it openly.

(shakes head sadly in disgust). :P
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

czer

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 12:51:40 AM »
Yeah, you would think something guarenteed in the Bill of Rights, in the FEDERAL constitution, would apply for the nation as a whole, just as the other rights do, not vary from state to state. That said, the funny thing is that many righties, who favor states rights (so they say) above all, will gladly support a national CCW permit. Because that's what it means to mandate that all states honor another's CCW permit/license.

Schmenge

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 02:07:44 PM »
As a "rightie", let me say that I'm personally against this bill. I believe it is a state rights issue. As much as I'd like for all states to honor other state's CCDWs, I don't believe in the federal gov mandating it.

It is an interesting question. The arguments against it offered by "lefties" are all bogus though. This bill, like all other gun laws, will have no impact on criminals. It would make our travels easier though.

I doubt it will pass.
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 05:23:48 PM »
Maybe I am not up on all things with the Constitution and states rights but I did not know it was the states right to opt out of what the Bill of Rights calls for.

"the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" oh.....unless you cross the Mason-Dixon Line then all bets are off. ???

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Schmenge

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 07:31:52 PM »
Unfortunately, the courts allow "reasonable limits" to our rights and each state has their own version of what that means. So if the federal gov mandates that all the states have to honor all others permits, does that mean one set of rules or 50? How about the states that don't allow concealed carry? (By the way, I don't think prohibiting conceal carry is a "reasonable limit") Are they forced to allow it now?

As I said, it's an interesting question. I don't think this bill will pass anyway. Personally, I think all the states should be like AK and VT. That would settle it once and for all.

This is a tough one because there are good points on both sides of the issue. I need to stop thinking about this, I've changed my mind three times in the last two minutes.

Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

mrjam2jab

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 02:34:40 PM »
Unfortunately, the courts allow "reasonable limits" to our rights and each state has their own version of what that means. So if the federal gov mandates that all the states have to honor all others permits, does that mean one set of rules or 50? How about the states that don't allow concealed carry? (By the way, I don't think prohibiting conceal carry is a "reasonable limit") Are they forced to allow it now?

Each state would still have their own laws regarding where you can and can't carry within their state.  The only state not allowing carry is IL, it would not effect them at all...no carry in IL. 
I'm not a gun nut.  I'm a 2nd Amendment enthusiast.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 12:13:03 AM »
Sorry guys and gals but even if this passes it will never be signed into law under the current administration. I will be shocked if Obama signs it.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 12:56:32 PM »
Sorry guys and gals but even if this passes it will never be signed into law under the current administration. I will be shocked if Obama signs it.

Ya never know. Elections aren't that far off and after all..it would be "Change"

mrjam2jab

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 03:08:01 PM »

Ya never know. Elections aren't that far off and after all..it would be "Change"

and if it's stuck into a bill that O wants to sign....
I'm not a gun nut.  I'm a 2nd Amendment enthusiast.